Welcome to Beer Dabbler’s Freshies, our weekly rundown on the newest beers hitting the store shelves and taproom coolers in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries.
While there are nearly 200 breweries in Minnesota, we continue to see firsts each and every week. In the listing of what’s new on tap and in liquor stores below, you can find a brewery’s first collaboration beer, another’s first triple IPA, and everything is a first at Chanhassen Brewing Company, which opened doors on Thursday.
Beery beers, fruited smoothie sours, and Minnesotan takes on traditional German styles dominate Freshies this week, with dank beers for 4/20 just around the corner.
Each week, the Beer Dabbler team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers that we’re most excited to try.
BlackStack Dad Smokes? – “Our ‘Dad Jokes’ base recipe taken to the outer reaches with some of our favorite choice nugs: Citra, Azacca, Cashmere, Vic Secret, Ekuanot Cryo, Columbus Cryo, and Idaho 7 Cryo,” BlackStack says of this 8.5% ABV triple dry-hopped IPA.
Broken Clock The Messenger Volume II – A collaboration beer between Broken Clock, Dual Citizen, and Brewing Change Collaborative, this is a 6.4% ABV, 24 IBU gose made with ingredients sourced from Africa: tamarind, guava, pineapple, coriander, sea salt, and sorghum and dry-hopped with African Queen and Southern Passion, which adds flavors of tropical fruit, berry, and stone fruit. More information about The Messenger Volume II and Leno O. Smith, pictured on the art can be found here.
Invictus Sour Razz – In their own words: “An effervescence and refreshing sour experience with a blast of raspberries in your face and a sour that will pucker your taste buds.” 4.8% ABV, 5 IBU.
Rush River Biére de Mars – “In celebration of our 17th Anniversary this Saturday, we brewed this traditional artisan ale from northern France! It is a slightly sweet, malt-forward ale that showcases Munich and Vienna malts,” the brewery says.
Sylvan Bucksnort Nut Brown Ale – “The Bucksnort is moderately malty with a subtle nutty finish. It has a low hop profile with very low bitterness and aroma. No nuts are used to achieve this flavor—the nuttiness comes from the malts,” says the brewery. On tap at Sylvan’s taproom. 5.1%, 24 IBU.
New beers available this week
608 Brewing Company
- Citranado – Avail today, this is a Citra-hopped hazy IPA, on tap and sold in 4-packs. 7.2% ABV.
- Rype: Berry Cherry – A fruited sour made with strawberry, blueberry, and cherry, on tap and sold in 4-packs. 6.5% ABV.
Alloy Brewing Company
- TING (This Is Not Generic) Hard Soda – A 5.3% ABV rootbeer hard soda.
Angry Inch Brewing
- Lonely Monk – A Belgian-style single with refreshing citrus character.
— Angry Inch Brewing (@AngryInchBrew) April 7, 2021
- SaisOFF – “A farmhouse-style, saison-inspired table ale brewed with lemongrass, Aurum, and Saaz hops—along with a ferulic acid rest as the first mash step (intended to maximize clove phenolics in fermentation)—that drinks clean, dry, grassy, with hints of lemon peel,” the brewery says. 4.4% ABV, 27 IBU.
Avery Brewing Co.
- Paws & Claws IPA – Described as a marriage of West Coast-style IPA with juicy New England-style.
Paws & Claws IPA has landed and we're stoked! This hop-forward IPA unites a West Coast IPA style with the juicy haze of a New England IPA. You can get Paws & Claws at our Tap Room starting today and we're sending it out across our distribution footprint soon!#averybrewing pic.twitter.com/0TROyoWDIg
— averybrewingco (@AveryBrewingCo) March 26, 2021
Bad Weather Brewing Company
- Dortmunder Export Lager – A taproom-only Dortmunder-style German lager with “the Pilsner malt sweetness of a Helles, the spicy Saaz hop aroma of a Bohemian Pilsner, and the firm bitterness of a German Pilsner,” the brewery says of its 6.6% ABV, 30 IBU offering.
- Music of the Spheres Galaxy Hop IPA – Back on tap in Shakopee now.
Bauhaus Brew Labs
- Nah: Hefeweizen – A light-bodied, non-alcoholic hefeweizen-style beer with banana and clove notes plus soft but sweet malt character, Bauhaus says.
INTRODUCING “Nah” Non-Alcoholic Hefeweizen: the NA counterpart to our recently-released Wheat Sweats Hefeweizen. This thirst-quenching, lightly hopped brew features a distinctive banana-and-clove yeast character and a soft, slightly grainy-sweet malt character. pic.twitter.com/HIoHFAPXRj
— Bauhaus Brew Labs (@BauhausBrewLabs) April 9, 2021
- Dad Smokes? – Top Flight selection.
- Rain Check – Tapped last week, this is a 7.5% ABV smoothie seltzer with pineapple, banana, and strawberry. 7.5% ABV.
Boom Island Brewing Company
- Cooler Space – A hazy IPA with a smooth, easy-drinking body, plus notes of pineapple, strawberry, and peach from its use of Cashmere, Kohatu, and Moutere hops.
- Purple Rain – A blueberry and lemon hard seltzer.
The Brewing Projekt
- Much Strongest – A triple IPA in the New England–style, sold in 16-ounce cans.
Broken Clock Brewing Cooperative
- The Messenger Volume II – Top Flight selection.
Castle Danger Brewery
- #FreeTheGrowler ESB – “Drinkability is a key component of an ESB. Ours really highlights the malt character. Aromas include earthy, bready, and lightly toasty. It has mild-moderate sweetness with just enough bitterness to balance it out,” the brewery says of this taproom exclusive beer.
- Shatter the Ceiling IPA – “The intention for this beer was to have a darker, hazier IPA-type beer that would showcase the Pink Boots Hop Blend,” Castle Danger says of this taproom release, with a portion of proceeds to benefit the Pink Boots Society.
Today we are tapping our Pink Boots brew, Shatter the Ceiling IPA! The intention for this beer was to have a darker, hazier IPA-type beer that would showcase the Pink Boots Hop Blend. A portion of the proceeds from this beer with go to the Pink Boots Society. #pinkboots pic.twitter.com/GGudWRtilR
— Castle Danger Brewer (@cdangerbrewer) April 9, 2021
Chanhassen Brewing Company
A new brewery opens in Chanhassen this week with the following lineup:
- Arboretum – A wheat ale made with ginger and yuzu. 4.5% ABV, 20 IBU.
- Chanhoppenin’ – A hazy IPA at 5.5% ABV, 55 IBU.
- Earl Grey – A rye ale with Earl Grey tea. 5.0% ABV, 25 IBU.
- Golden Prairie – A 4.5% ABV, 25 IBU golden ale.
- MN’ Go – A 4.5% ABV, 25 IBU Belgian-style ale with mango.
- Station 3 – A stout at 6.5% ABV, 40 IBU.
- Storm – Blackberry sour ale. 4.5% ABV, 5 IBU.
- Ya’ Betcha – An 8.5% ABV, 35 IBU Belgian-style Abby ale.
April 15th – Join us for a Beer! We wanted to make sure there is enough beer brewed and the freshest ingredients! 🍻🍻🍻@MatthewRosati2 @LauraRosati79 #chanhassenbrewing @MPLXpropaganda pic.twitter.com/O2kGeKT8Qe
— Chanhassen Brewing Co. (@ChanBrewing) March 28, 2021
Drastic Measures Brewing
- Overlord Pastry Sour – A 7% ABV beer with tropical punch, tangerine, and marshmallow fluff.
- Braaaaaaaains! – A smoothie-style beer made with strawberry, orange, lime, sea salt, lactose, and vanilla.
- Chonk: Funky Monkey Sundae Sour – Inspired by the Monkey Tail dessert, this beer “is stuffed with banana, cacao nibs, peanut butter, black currant, plum, pomegranate, lactose, and vanilla beans for a decadent and delicious headfirst dive into the realm of absurdity.” 7.8% ABV.
- Cyber Scream – A triple IPA made with the Nordic Kveik yeast strain. “Don’t let the 10% ABV fool you, this juice is so, so smooth from a massive malt bill filled with oats and spelt,” Drekker promises.
The 2nd beer on Friday’s release is Cyber Scream, a Nordic Triple IPA! This is the inevitable progression of our screaming Kveik IPA series where we continue to experiment with all the insane possibilities of this limitless yeast. While most modern brewers' yeasts have been pic.twitter.com/NQ0aI5FGX3
— Drekker Brewing (@DrekkerBrewing) April 13, 2021
- Involuntary Narcissistic Rage – A double IPA with lactose. “It’s soft and creamy with flavors of ripe cantaloupe and floral strawberry, slightly sweet but with a nicely balanced finish,” the brewery says. 8.5% ABV.
- Smooth or Die – A 6.5% ABV peanut butter milk stout. Made with roasted cacao nibs, milk sugar, and peanut butter, it’s available today, including in 4-packs.
- Erickson Orchard Barrel-Aged Dry – A new, limited dry cider made with Wisconsin-grown Heirloom and crab apples and aged in French oak barrels. Sold in 750-milliliter bottles.
Eastlake Craft Brewery
- Mendoza Line – Tapped last Thursday in honor of the Twins’ home opener.
- N.A. Gose – “A sour near-beer infused with sea salt and grapefruit. At less than 0.5% alcohol by volume, it’s a flavorful changeup. Available in 16-oz cans, as singles or four-packs,” the brewery says.
We are pleased to add another non-alcoholic option to our lineup. N.A. Gose is a sour near-beer infused with Sea Salt and Grapefruit. At less than 0.5% alcohol by volume, it’s a flavorful changeup. Available in 16oz cans, as singles or four packs.https://t.co/lWxVqm3Peg pic.twitter.com/DYwiKdPvAm
— EastlakeCraftBrewery (@EastlakeMGM) April 9, 2021
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- Ping Pong Tiddley – A lightly sweet London-style porter with roasted notes, served on nitro at the taproom. 4.8% ABV.
FINNEGANS Brew Co.
- Tile Factory Mosaic IPA – Apricot, peach, passion fruit, and citrus flavors pop in this IPA, back on tap at FINNEGANS now.
- Mango IPA – A West Coast-style IPA made with an extra 325 pounds of ripe mango. “The fruit balances the bitter, citrusy hop profile of this West Coast IPA. Crisp and clear with a dry, refreshing finish,” Fitger’s explains. 7.7% ABV, 47 IBU.
- No. 17 Scotch Ale – Back on tap now.
- No. 42 Maibock – The spring seasonal is back on tap in Minneapolis now.
April showers bring…Maibocks. The No. 42 Maibock is back to help usher in spring. Available now on tap and in cans! pic.twitter.com/ewwFlQHKA9
— Freehouse Beer (@FreehouseBeerMN) April 8, 2021
- The Pale Ale Project – A series of rotating pale ale recipes. Some will be taproom-exclusive, some for wider release. The first bottled Pale Ale Project release is on shelves now.
- Coastal Sunshine v13 – A smoothie sour ale made with strawberry, orange, banana, and marshmallow creme. 6% ABV.
- Rugged Outlook v1 – “This luxurious imperial IPA is brewed with plenty of oats for a soft body and a gentle kiss of wildflower honey. Two heavy dry-hopping additions of Citra, El Dorado, Vic Secret, and Galaxy were added to this IPA,” the brewery says. 9% ABV.
Fresh from our distribution delivery fairy godmothers over at Pequod, we have two brand new @HumbleForager offerings to add to our menu.
Available in 4 packs to-go, or enjoy a single can with dinner while you dine-in. pic.twitter.com/pL9u3kdYvj
— Forager Brewery (@ForagerBrewery) April 13, 2021
- Hop Spin #2 – A 10.1% ABV, this is Insight’s first triple IPA and its second Hop Spin series release. “Expect aromas of pineapple and tangerine as the opening act with a blast of tropical fruits on the palate as your main event,” the brewery says.
Invictus Brewing Co.
- Sour Razz – Top Flight selection.
- Double Shot Cold Press Porter – Tapped last week.
Lake Monster Brewing
- Black IPA – A dark-in-color IPA that’s 6.5% ABV, 55 IBU, and features a blend of Cascade, Citra, and Zeus hops.
- Pomegranate Hibiscus Sour Ale – A new seasonal wheat ale infused with hibiscus flowers and pomegranate puree is on tap now and coming to cans soon. Oh, and it’s pink.
Remember the great Black IPA craze of 2014? No? Well we missed it too, but better late than never. This brew is a bold Cascade/Citra/Zeus-hopped IPA with the addition of de-bittered black malt for a dark color and just a hint of roasted malt character.
IBU: 55 pic.twitter.com/pOZ4QNZe4M
— Lake Monster Brewing (@LakeMonsterBrew) April 13, 2021
Lupulin Brewing Company
- Hen Pecks – A fruited wheat ale with raspberry and strawberry that’s both sweet and a little tart. It pours at 5.5% ABV, 13 IBU, and a portion of sales will benefit the National MS Society.
Modist Brewing Co.
- Depth – Modist turns five this week and is kicking off its birthday with a limited barrel-aged imperial stout. Bottles were already raffled, but it taps on Saturday too.
- Illbrewminati Vol. 2 – A triple dry-hopped New England-style triple IPA made with Citra, El Dorado, Strata, Nelson Sauvin, Citra Cryo, and El Dorado Cryo hops. Available Saturday at the brewery and in stores next Tuesday.
- Tropic Level Zombie – A tropical sour ale made with malted wheat brown sugar, passionfruit, pineapple, red grapefruit, orange, lemon, lime, and cinnamon.Available Saturday at the brewery and in stores next Tuesday.
OMNI Brewing Co.
- Farmer Gerry’s Golden Ale – A 4.1% ABV, 7 IBU golden ale name for a local farmer who utilizes OMNI’s spent grains.
- Garv Sauce – Originally brewed as a collaboration with Minnesota Twins’ catcher Mitch Garver in 2019, this beer returns along with in-person attendance at Target field. 5.2% ABV.
- Passion Fruit Raspberry Melt – Out now, this smoothie sour pours at 6.3% ABV, 15 IBU, and is on draft, in Crowlers, and also sold in 4-packs at liquor stores.
Rush River Brewing
- Biére de Mars – Top Flight selection.
- LoCal Twist – A citrus wheat ale with bright flavors of grapefruit, orange, and tangerine. 98 calories.
- Sangria – Back for brighter, sunnier days ahead.
Surly Brewing Company
- Havoc Machine IPA – A spring seasonal IPA in the traditional West Coast–style with citrus and dank flavors.
Clean, hoppy, and devastating, Havoc Machine delivers an authentic West Coast IPA payload. Surly’s second seasonal of 2021 unleashes the classically dank and citrus-heavy assault of Cascade, Chinook, and Amarillo hops. Hitting shelves this week! https://t.co/bMfAtE66Sa pic.twitter.com/5TkgQRhOyI
— surlybrewing (@surlybrewing) April 7, 2021
- Bucksnort Nut Brown Ale – Top Flight selection.
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company
- Rainbow Road – A rainbow sherbert-inspired ale at 4.1% ABV, 10 IBU.
Waconia Brewing Company
- Fools Spring Maibock – Waconia nailed the name with this 8.6% ABV, 23 IBU Maibock. “This pale, brilliantly clear German lager has a malty nose with hints of grain and bread,” the brewery notes.
Fools Spring Maibock release at 2pm! This German lager has a malty nose w/ hints of grain & bread. As you sip, you will notice a malty sweetness and a gentle warming note. Subtle notes of hops and a crisp lager finish help round out the complex malt flavors. 8.6%, 23 IBU
— Waconia Brewing Co. (@WaconiaBrewing) April 13, 2021
- Dunkel – “A wonderful decoction of floor-malted Bohemian barley, including a beechwood smoked barley that, combined with German Tettnang hops, yields a smoky, spicy finish,” Waldmann says.
Beers just announced
608 Brewing Company
- Couch Lock – To tap on April 20, this is a dank and hazy IPA made with Strata and Columbus hops in collaboration with Tree Huggers Co-Op. It will also be available in 4-packs from the Wisconsin brewery, which is hosting a donut pop-up sale that sale day.
- Hype Machine: Peanut Butter and Jelly – Available next Friday, this smoothie sour is made with peanut butter flour and strawberry puree.
- Nebulous Void – Available on Saturday, April 24 in 500-milliliter bottles, this is a bourbon barrel-aged imperial coconut stout. 13.1% ABV.
Back Channel Brewing Company
- Blue Robbin Baker – Exclusive to the Season 7 Dabbler in a Box, this imperial pastry stout is made with coffee, cacao, and biscotti. Pre-orders are available now with boxes available on April 29.
Badger Hill Brewing Company
- Puppers Altbier – A dark, crisp altbier will tap at the Shakopee brewery on Monday, April 26.
Boom Island Brewing Company
- Tropical Layover– A passion fruit plus guava kettle sour. Coming soon, according to a brewery newsletter.
Castle Danger Brewery
- Summer Crush Summer Ale – Coming in 6- and 12-packs soon.
It's almost Summer Crush season. Coming to a liquor store, bar, or restaurant near you in a couple of weeks! This year, Summer Crush will be available on tap, in 6-packs, AND 12-PACKS! Who's excited?#summercrush #summercrushale #castledangerbrewery pic.twitter.com/7v6GiChv4u
— Castle Danger Brewer (@cdangerbrewer) April 12, 2021
Clutch Brewing Company
- Enjoy’A Sequoia – A double dry-hopped West Coast–style IPA to be sold exclusively in the Season 7 Dabbler in a Box, which becomes available on April 29.
Drastic Measures Brewing
- Paid in the Shade – This new hazy IPA is exclusive to the upcoming Season 7 Dabbler in a Box, available April 29.
Eagle Park Brewing & Distilling
- Tropical Smoothie Seltzer with Mango, Pineapple, and Passionfruit – This new beer is sold in Wisconsin, but will only be available here in Minnesota in the next Dabbler in a Box, available later this month.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- Hey, Remember Pale Ales? – A throwback classic-style pale ale will tap next week.
OMNI Brewing Co.
OMNI will release a new Melt smoothie sour series beer each month through the spring. Each will be sold in 4-packs.
- Mango Melt – Available in May.
- Megaberry Melt – Available in June.
Rogue Ales & Spirits
- Raspberry Tartlandia – A new sour gose brewed with raspberry, coriander and hand-harvested salt from Oregon’s Yaquina Bay. 4.9% ABV and coming in May.
- He’s Not Hazy, He’s My Brother – This new hoppy lager is a collaboration with Mikerphone Brewing (Chicago, IL) and the first collaboration beer from Utepils. It debuts next Friday, April 23.
- Plaid Bikini Summer Wheat – This summer ale debuts on May 1 at Utepils’ unveiling of its Summer Beer Garden. It will be sold in cans, including in the Week-Ender Summer Pack alongside Helles, Tall Tails, and Pontoon Afternoon.
- Pontoon Afternoon Raspberry Kolsch – A new fruity Kolsch-style ale that debuts on May 1 and will also be sold in 4-packs/cans.
Have a new beer we should know about? Send the details to firstname.lastname@example.org for inclusion in Freshies.