Welcome to Beer Dabbler’s Freshies, our weekly rundown on the newest beers hitting the store shelves and taproom coolers in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries.
Whether you prefer citrus hop flavors, honey-tinged ales, oatmeal stouts, or even an old-fashioned cocktail, we’ve got it covered in this roundup of newly available (and soon to come) beers in and near the Land of 10,000 Drinks.
We see traditional bocks to hoist with spring on the horizon, but also new hazy double, triple, and smoothie IPAs. We also see a celebrated Minnesota beer that’s been draft-only since the Bush years making a surprising bottle debut.
Each week, the Beer Dabbler team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers that we’re most excited to try.
Angry Inch Brewer’s Breakfast – A new oatmeal stout with added locally sourced, aged honey from Fieldstone Apiaries.
Fulton Old Fashioned Sweet Child – Now sold in 4-pack of 12-ounce bottles and on tap at the brewery near downtown Minneapolis, this is a cocktail-inspired, Jameson barrel-aged take on Fulton’s Sweet Child Of Vine flagship. You can also find it in Season 6 of Dabbler in a Box, on sale for pre-order now.
Rapids Brewing Batch #100 – A milestone beer from Rapids in Grand Rapids, this special beer is a 9.7% ABV triple dry-hopped, double hazy IPA based on their Hands On Hazy IPA recipe. “You can expect tropical waves of floral, citrus, pear, pine, pineapple, passion fruit, and stone fruit,” Rapids says.
Urban Forage Maple and Oak Cider – Available in bottles now and on tap soon, “This time we used old oak from toasted whiskey barrels and the flavor has just a hint of bourbon to it, adding an extra complexity to an already flavorful cider,” the East Lake Street cider house says.
Waconia Brewing Lord Nelson – A barleywine named for the famed British naval officer, this English-style beer offers sweet flavors with subtle hop notes and pours at a bold 11.5% ABV. On tap and in Crowlers for a limited time.
New beers available this week
- Foggy Morning Haze – A 6.8% ABV juicy IPA.
- Goldy’s Golden Axe – An approachable and easy drinking style that is smooth and classic. A nice beer for all you nice people! ABV 5.8%
608 Brewing Company
- Hype Machine: Blackberry Peach Cobbler – Sold in 4-packs and on draft at 607, this smoothie sour is made with blackberries, peaches, vanilla, cinnamon, and granola. 6.7% ABV.
- War Materials: Mosaic – A West Coast-style double IPA featuring Mosaic hops. Sold in 4-packs and on draft.
AEGIR Brewing Company
- A Hazy IPA – Simply put: “You’ll find very little bitterness in this one, but plenty of tropical notes. We used Azacca and Zythos hops and as the name implies it’s a hazy,” AEGIR says.
- Oaked Whiskey Rye IPA – Available in limited supply, “Each bottle has a piece of oak, from a freshly cut barrel, placed inside to help with the aging process,” the brewery says.
- Zeke the Freak – A dry-hopped Belgian-style tripel that pours at 9.7% ABV, 97 IBU.
Alloy Brewing Company
- Blueberry Etched Barleywine – A blueberry barley wine is available today, in advance of Saturday’s Starkbierfest (which translates to “Strong Beer Fest” on Saturday. 11.3% ABV, 70 IBU.
- Rock out with your Doppelbock Out – An 8.5% ABV, 19 IBU doppelbock that returns for Starkbierfest this Saturday at the Coon Rapids brewery.
- Sweet Something Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cream Ale – If the name doesn’t give it away, this is a cream ale with added strawberry puree and cocoa nibs. 9.0% ABV, 11 IBU.
- Etched Barleywine – A malt-forward and strong 11.3% ABV, 70 IBU barleywine. Note its blueberry companion (listed above).
Angry Hog Brewery & Taproom
- Coffee Cream Ale – A light ale with a smooth coffee punch, the brewery says.
Angry Inch Brewing
- Brewer’s Breakfast – Top Flight selection.
- Faster Foster – The Lotus hop is showcased in a new 3.4% ABV, 34 IBU session hazy IPA from Angry Inch.
Bent Paddle Brewing Co.
- Blood Orange + Ginger CBD water – Available at the taproom, “We upped the ante on this batch, which now clocks in at 19mg/pint and 30mg/Crowler,” Bent Paddle says.
- Pôrdij #6 Hazy IPA – Number 6 in the rotation series, this new edition profiles citrus, tropical, floral, pine, and bread flour flavors, with similarly fruity and grainy notes on the nose and a smooth finish. The smooth-drinking IPA with flaked oats and white wheat is described as having a restrained hop bitterness considering the quantity of hops that go into making the beer. 6.3% ABV, 50 IBU. Available in Dabbler in a Box Season 6, now on sale for pre-order.
- Strawberry Pineapple Hefeweizen – “This juicy hefeweizen has notes of banana and clove with a punch of pineapple and subtle strawberry on the nose,” Blacklist says. 6.4% ABV.
???? STRAWBERRY PINEAPPLE HEFEWEIZEN ????
This juicy hefeweizen has notes of banana and clove with a punch of pineapple and subtle strawberry on the nose.
It’s full bodied coming in at 6.4%, so hold onto your tastebuds because they’ll definitely be dancing after drinking this! pic.twitter.com/G7FiYlhtwu
— Blacklist Beer (@BlacklistBeer) February 19, 2021
- Jurassic Park – Two haze-renowned breweries, BlackStack and Toppling Goliath, teamed up on a gigantic 10.1% ABV triple IPA.
Our homies from @topplingbrews came up to get prehistoric on our brewhouse. we used with earth rattling quantites of our Hand-Selected Citra & Citra Cryo, TG’s Hand Selected Citra & Riwaka from their super secret stash. Tread Lightly???? pic.twitter.com/4NdjmyTqKu
— BlackStack Brewing (@BlackStackBrew) February 24, 2021
Burning Brothers Brewing
- Myth’d Opportunities: Belgian Tripel – Available tomorrow (Beer Club Members get first dibs), a one-off Belgian-style Tripel available only in limited 750-milliliter bottles sold at the taproom.
Dangerous Man Brewing Company
- DM Cream Ale – A gluten-reduced cream ale that showcases the flavors of malted barley with a touch of flaked corn for additional sweetness.
- Wee Sexy Lager – Back at Dangerous Man.
Ryan's 3-pack picks! He grabbed a crowler of the returning Wee Sexy Lager ????For something a lil' spicy, the Ginger Snap Brown Ale is full of zesty goodness ☃️He also snagged a Meyer Lemon Orange Gose before it "goes-uh" away! ????The Growler Shop is open until 6pm on Sunday funday pic.twitter.com/Gybqg0yZBd
— DangerousMan (@DangerousMan7) February 21, 2021
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- Crazy Sniffable – A lactose-infused double dry-hopped hazy IPA with flavors of pineapple, orange juice, and fruit cocktail. 82.% ABV.
- Questions & Comments – A small-batch barrel-aged stout inspired by the cinnamon bun. Made with real cinnamon and vanilla, this is a big stout with bright spice to counter some of the sweetness.
- Old Fashioned Sweet Child of Vine – Top Flight selection.
- Hop Spin – A new rotating IPA series from Insight. In liquor stores now.
Inver Grove Brewing Co.
- Burr Oaks – This special imperial stout was aged in Tattersall Distilling barrels. “Still the same molasses-y stout with a slight roast, but now with some notes of vanilla and straight rye whiskey from a 4-month nap in the barrels,” the brewpub explains. 8.2% ABV, 30 IBU.
- Sky High – This edition of Sky High Imperial Cream Ale comes spent five months in Tattersall Rye barrels. Described as “nice and smooth,” making for a deceptive 9.5% ABV, Sky High has notes of vanilla, anise, and smoke.
Junkyard Brewing Co.
- New England Cheat Codes – “This triple IPA is loaded with four New England IPA ‘cheater’ hop varieties: Citra, Azacca, Mosaic, and Bru-1. Together, these four hops smack you with flavors of sweet mango, juicy pineapple, and finish with a splash of citrus!” the brewery says. 11% ABV.
New England Cheat Codes
This triple IPA is loaded with four New England IPA “cheater” hop varieties: Citra, Azacca, Mosaic, and Bru-1. Together, these four hops smack you with flavors of sweet mango, juicy pineapple, and finishes with a splash of citrus!
11% ABV pic.twitter.com/RklJDmlJB5
— Junkyard Brewing Co. (@JunkyardBrewing) February 24, 2021
Luce Line Brewing Co.
- Blazing Star Blonde Ale – A blonde ale with flavors of stone fruit, orange peel, and Earl Grey tea, the brewery says.
- Pronged Prancer – An 6.8% ABV, 60 IBU, this Animal Tracks series beer is an American IPA with a robust malt base complemented by dank and fruity hop character.
????????NEW BEER ALERT????????
Pronged Prancer (6.8%, 60IBU). The 6th in our Animal Tracks series is an American IPA. It's got a robust, malty base with a mix of dank and fruity hops.
This beer will be available on tap and to-go tomorrow, Friday the 19th. See you there!
— Lupine Brewing (@LupineBrewing) February 19, 2021
Lupulin Brewing Company
- Sophistry 09 – The latest Sophistry series has big citrus flavors including fresh orange and sweet tangerine, Lupulin says, derived from a blend of six different hop varieties, with a soft and soothing body. 7.5% ABV, 60 IBU.
Modist Brewing Co.
- Apiary Drip – Made with help from Dangerous Man, this is a double dry-hopped honey cream double IPA that was scheduled for last week but was pushed back slightly. Also sold in liquor stores.
- Fish Top Fish Bottom – A collaboration with Hayes Public House, Fish Top Fish Bottom is a limited release “malted milk ball coffee toffee imperial milk stout.” Bottles became available today via raffle.
- Half Believing Gravity – A Berliner weisse fruited with tangerine, pink guava, coconut, and almost. Available in liquor stores.
- Honees Honees – The peanut butter golden ale is back for a limited time now.
— OliphantBrewing (@OliphantBrewing) February 24, 2021
Rapids Brewing Co.
- Batch #100 – Top Flight selection.
- Lemon Bar infused Lager – Tapped last week at the brewery.
— Shakopee BrewHall (@shakobrewhall) February 18, 2021
Stacked Deck Brewing Co.
- Leisure Force – A double IPA with juicy, tropical, citrus, and dank tones. 8% ABV and also sold in Crowlers.
!!NEW BEER ALERT!! Leisure Force — Made with Strata & Citra — Double IPA — 8%. Dedicated to all the lazy yet lovable furry little friends out there. It has all the juicy, tropical, citrus & dank flavors a cat lover will enjoy. Now available in crowlers! pic.twitter.com/V4zUkRkv6p
— Stacked Deck Brewing (@stackeddeckbrew) February 22, 2021
Talking Waters Brewing Co.
- Sexy Contours – A bright, tropical, and double dry-hopped hazy IPA. It pours at 8% ABV and was made with Nelson Sauvin, Galaxy, Riwaka, and Citra hops.
- Tongue Twister – A smoothie-style sour ale made with raspberry and blood orange. 5% ABV.
- What’s Shakin’ – A 7% ABV brambleberry cobbler milkshake-style IPA.
Newly launched in Madelia, this orchard-based cidery has two current offerings in the Madelia, Mankato, and St. Peter area with four more in development:
- MN Nice Semi-Sweet Cider
- Wild Orchard Semi-Dry Cider
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company
- Blueberry Wheatstone Bridge – A fruit-infused bright wheat ale. On tap and the now-reopened-to-the-public taproom and coming to liquor stores soon.
- Fractions – A Neapolitan ice cream oatmeal stout with strawberry, vanilla, and chocolate. Available today.
- Phobos – “Our brand new dark sour fermented on Cabernet Sauvignon oak, then conditioned with peaches and black currants,” the brewery explains. Sold in bottles.
Today's a perfect day to stop by our taproom and try Phobos, our brand new dark sour fermented on Cabernet Sauvignon oak, then conditioned with peaches and black currants.
— Tin Whiskers Brewery (@TinWhiskersBrew) February 21, 2021
Town Hall Brewery
Barrel Month wraps up with Classics Week at Town Hall-7 Corners. The following beers are familiar to fans of previous years’ lineups, though each year brings new flavor profiles due to the nature of barrel-aging. Available and sold in limited Crowlers. Check out the full monthly listing in a previous Freshies.
- Foolish Angel – A Belgian-style quad aged in bourbon barrels, this beer includes plum, banana, and fig flavors complemented by caramel, toffee, and chocolate tones from the barrel-aging process. 10% ABV.
- Rye Barrel – A Roggen bier aged in American rye bourbon barrels. The final product gives traditional rye spiced and earthy notes, plus toasted fruit, rose petal floral, sweet cake frosting, caramel, and rich cherry tones. 8.3% ABV.
- Twisted Trace – A bourbon barrel-aged barleywine that pours at 10% ABV and winner of the silver medal at 2013 GABF, Twisted Trace 2021 is a “Deceptively smooth and rich offering” defined by notes of dark berries, vanilla, sweet caramel, and Minnesota-made maple syrup.
Unmapped Brewing Co.
- Mind the Map – “This delightfully malty English Ale has become a cult- favorite; easy-drinking, yet never short on flavor,” the brewery says. Available in limited supply now.
Urban Forage Winery and Cider House
- Maple and Oak Cider – Top Flight selection
- Pear Cider – The 2020 batch of pear cider is on tap now in limited supply.
- Red Velvet Cyser – A cider released in part to fit a red-in-color theme for Valentine’s Day. On tap and available in bottles.
- Winter Spice Cyser – Currently on tap.
Waconia Brewing Company
- Lord Nelson – Top Flight selection.
- Weiner – Pronounced “VEE-nur,” Waldmann stresses, this Vienna lager is copper in color with caramel sweetness and a smooth body. “Waldmann’s…balances floor-malted pilsner and dark Central European malts with just enough Cluster hops and spicy German noble hops to invite another drink,” the St. Paul brewpub says.
Beers just announced
Bent Paddle Brewing Co.
- Wilderness Tuxedo: Raspberry Lemonade – Coming mid-March.
— bentpaddlebeer (@bentpaddlebeer) February 19, 2021
Dangerous Man Brewing Company
- Crewel Juice – A dry-hopped and fruited imperial sour brewed by Dangerous Man’s non-male staff just before International Women’s Day. Available March 5.
Last week we added some fruity goodness and dry-hopped Crewel Juice, the imperial fruited sour that will be ready on March 5th ???? Our non-dude staff worked alongside our brewers to get this beer ready for International Women’s Day! Mark your calendars for this extra special sour! pic.twitter.com/GUdKAGJlDS
— DangerousMan (@DangerousMan7) February 18, 2021
Firestone Walker Brewing Company
- Parabola 2021 – “For the first time ever, this year’s edition was aged for twelve months in an equal mix of bourbon, rye, and wheat whiskey barrels, accentuating the beer’s signature richness and intensity with vintage-specific hints of black pepper and cereal grain,” the brewery says. Two California-only variants are also available for those planning to travel: Amburana Parabola and Double Barrel Parabola.
Great Lakes Brewing Co.
- Crushworthy Lo-Cal Citrus Wheat – A brand new year-round 105 calorie session beer that the brewery describes as “A light-bodied wheat beer bursting with real citrus peel and purée.” 4.0% ABV and to be sold in 12-ounce cans (6- and 15-packs) and on draft.
Lupulin Brewing Company
Breaking our normal alphabetical arrangement, we’re sharing Big Beer Week’s listing in chronological order. Note that, due to pandemic-related challenges, this is a ticketed event in 2021 that runs March 7–14.
Sunday March 7:
- Crowler Release – BA Snozzberry Lateralus
- Draft Releases – BA Snozzberry Lateralus, Barrel God 2020, Belgian Quad, Belgian Tripel, Coconut Vanilla Demigod, Polarnattens Paradis, BA Polarnattens Paradis, Rubus Cubus
- Infusion – Lateralus Snozzberry Pie with Peanut Butter and Strawberry Jam
Monday March 8:
- Bottle Release – Whiskey Nuts 2021
- Draft Releases – Whiskey Nuts 2020, Whiskey Nuts 2021, Sycophant
- Infusion – Whiskey Nuts with Oranges and Cranberries
Tuesday March 9:
- Draft Releases – Coffee Shop Assault Vehicle, Whiskey Demigod ‘20, BA Doppelbock
- Infusion – Coffee Shop Assault Vehicle Mexican Mole
Wednesday March 10:
- Bottle Release – Barrel God 2021 Woodford Reserve
- Draft Releases – Barrel God 2021 Woodford Reserve, Barrel God 2018, BA Lateralus 2020
- Infusion – Barrel God w/ Swiss Cake Rolls
Thursday March 11:
- Bottle Release – Barrel God 2021 Four Roses
- Draft Releases – Barrel God 2021 Four Roses, Barrel God 2019, Rus 2018
- Infusion – Rubus Cubus Raspberry Pie
Friday March 12:
- Crowler Release – Strictly Illegal
- Draft Releases – Strictly Illegal, Night Witch, Antsy in our Pantsy
- Infusion – Belgian Quad w/ Oatmeal Cream Pies
Saturday March 13:
- Bottle Release – Barrel God Cuvee 2020/2021 Blend
- Draft Releases – Barrel God Cuvee 2020/2021 Blend, William the Conqueror, BA William the Conqueror
- Infusion – Lateralus Cacao & Coconut w/ Almond Joy Candy Bars
Sunday March 14:
- Infusion – BA Imperial Chocolate Truffle w/ Count Chocula Cereal
Summit Brewing Company
- Oatmeal Stout – First introduced in 2004 and served exclusively on nitro draft since, Oatmeal Stout makes its bottled debut in March. “Oatmeal Stout is a great beer on draught, but we really thought we could do it justice by putting it into glass and showcasing some of the differences that the packaged CO2 route provides from the nitro/mixed gas draught form,” head brewer Damian McConn says via a press release, adding that, “On or off a nitro tap this beer will still retain a sweetness and full body. The elevated carbon dioxide levels for the bottled version adds a sharpness to the aromas, really bringing forth the hazelnut notes and even added a hint of florals. It’s a bit fuller, a bit sharper, but just as delicious.” It will be sold in 12-packs of 12-ounce bottles, plus on nitro at select bars and restaurants. 5.0% ABV, 32 IBU.”
- Irish Red Ale – Coming in time for a certain Irish-minded day next month.
Top of the Boil to You! We're brewing our Irish Red Ale today; we'll have plenty in stock for our St. Patrick's Day celebration March 17. Hope you can stop by for some delicious brews and live Irish Music with Tom & Ginny. Cheers! #IrishRedAle #StPatrickDay pic.twitter.com/hJZWiyTGEa
— Torg Brewery (@TorgBrewery) February 23, 2021
Utepils Brewing Co.
- Spingbok – The spring seasonal Helles bock will be back soon, Utepils says.
Soon….very soon! pic.twitter.com/CqIZ92pm4v
— Utepils Brewing Co. (@UtepilsBrewing) February 24, 2021
Waconia Brewing Company
- Laketown Brown – Coming soon, according to this week’s newsletter.
- Short Squeeze Session IPA – Available March 2.
- Doppelbock – The featured beer at the 2nd Annual Bierstahlen Festival, or beer poking ceremony, on March 13. This is a strong, rich, and malt-forward lager with added carmelized flavored post-poke.
Have a new beer we should know about? Send the details to email@example.com for inclusion in Freshies.