Welcome to Beer Dabbler’s Freshies, our weekly rundown on the newest beers hitting the store shelves and taproom coolers in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries.
The year was 1946. As Americans recovered from World War II, the supply chain ran amok and brewers were getting experimental, brewing traditional styles with new ingredients—on display in No. 2 in Bad Weather’s new Heritage series, a lager made with cassava. History is complex, but there are definitely parallels to the modern era.
It’s interesting to reflect as we enter into the tradition-driven holiday season. Yes, spiced ales and big ABV stouts are commonplace. But for every barrel-aged this-and-that, there are amber ales, Dortmunder-style lagers, and brown ales to enjoy. There are expected styles and there are experiments. And both often hit the spot. Holiday flavors, for some, may require wine-like depth. For others, it means notes of orange, citrus, cranberry, and pine.
Fortunately, the liquor store aisles, neighborhood tap handles, and local breweries and cideries have us covered no matter what.
Each week, the Beer Dabbler team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers that we’re most excited to try.
612Brew Family Ties – A Belgian-style golden strong ale with camomile and ginger and dry-hopped with Nelson Sauvin and Triple Pearl, brewed in collaboration (and at both breweries) with Badger Hill. 8% ABV.
Inbound Hallucidation – The sometimes seasonal wine-like beer is back. 2021’s batch provides dark fruit and fig flavors with a cherry bouquet. 12.3% ABV. On tap and sold in 750-milliliter bottles.
Schell’s Snowstorm – Different every year, this year the ‘Storm is an oak starkbier style, described as fitting between Schell’s Oktoberfest and Bock in profile.
Spiral Big Barge – “Light on the pallet and deep copper in color, Spiral Brewery’s Big Barge Brown Ale is brewed with four different malts which result in a chocolatey and nutty caramel flavor. The sweetness of the malts are balanced with East Kent Golding and West Coast hops resulting in a medium-bitter finish,” the brewery says. 4.4% ABV.
Urban Growler Rock Hop Fresh Hop – “This IPA features fresh Cascade, Mt. Hood, and Nugget hops from Park Falls, WI,” the brewery says. “The aroma is of a sweet biscuit/bready malt overlaid with waves of hoppy pine and citrus with a slight lemon note. Medium-bodied with a refreshing bitterness balancing out the robust malt base,” with notes of caramel, tangerine, pine, and light floral elements. 6.5% ABV, 75 IBU.
New beers available this week
- Raspberry Albino Loon – Blonde stout got a dose of coffee, chocolate, and raspberry. Tapped last weekend at the brewery’s sixth-anniversary party.
- Strata IPA – A tropical and dank IPA that tapped last Saturday.
We will be teasing our special releases throughout the week, we cannot wait to party with you!
First up is a *NEW* IPA! Strata IPA will be hitting the taps at 1 pm on Saturday. Strata hops bring tropical and dank flavors together for a one of a kind taste. pic.twitter.com/thA5XAZFe2
— 10K Brewing (@10kbrewing) November 10, 2021
22 Northmen Brewing Company
- Island Boy – A Strata-hopped hazy IPA with tropical flavors.
- Punch Face: Pink Guava – A 6.2% ABV kettle sour with added guava puree and “a touch” of cherry, the brewery says.
608 Brewing Company
- Oops! All Nelson-Ado – A new twist on Citranado IPA, this time featuring Nelson Sauvin hops for notes of white wine grapes, apricot, and gooseberry. 7.2% ABV.
- Sunday Salad – A collaboration with Drastic Measures, this 6.5% ABV fruited sour includes cherry, pineapple, marshmallow, coconut, and pecan.
- Bubblehouse Cranberry Cocktail Seltzer – Served on draft, this seltzer has ripe cranberry flavors with a light and crisp body. 4.8% ABV.
- Family Ties – Top Flight selection.
Alloy Brewing Company
- Piña Colada What Happened?! – The newest batch in this series is a rum cream ale with pineapple, coconut, and finished with rum-soaked oak staves. 8.5% ABV, 10 IBU.
????????New Release: Piña Colada What Happened?! – 8.5% ABV/10 IBU????????
Rum cream ale made with pineapple, coconut & finished with rum-soaked oak staves.
This beer definitely pairs well with Live Music, so it's perfect timing that @GrungeUnplugged is here tonight from 6:30-9:30pm! pic.twitter.com/d1anog8dXY
— Alloy Brewing Company (@AlloyBrewingCo) November 12, 2021
- Bramble On – “An inviting real blackberry flavor introduces you into a refreshing tartness of subtle lemon all atop a fluffy mouthfeel,” the brewery says of this 4.3% ABV, 31 IBU fruited wheat beer.
- Cranberry Arbeiter – One of three beers sold in the Holiday Crowler 3-Pack, and limited to Crowlers only. This cranberried beer is light in body, sweet and slightly tart, and effervescent, the brewery says. The pack also includes another exclusive, Pumpkin Spice Alt, and Chai-Hulud vanilla chai porter (tapped last week). It goes on sale this Saturday.
- Pumpkin Spice Alt – Sold only in the Arbeiter Holiday Crowler 3-Pack, this alt has pumpkin spice and more. Sold along with Cranberry Arbeiter and Chai-Hulud.
Bad Weather Brewing Company
- Heritage Lager: 1946 Post WWII Lager – After the war, brewers often used supplemental ingredients. “In 1946 brewers used large amounts of cassava as a substitute. So we brewed one up with cassava, corn, rice, and 6-row,” says head brewer Andy Ruhland, describing the second release in the Heritage series. 5.1% ABV, 20 IBU, and on tap now.
- Saison D’ Peche – A barrel-aged French-style saison with Brettanomyces and finished on peaches. Available in bottles and on draft, as of this Tuesday.
@BadWeatherBrew Heritage Lager #2 check. Finished drier than I would have liked, which seems to always happen when we want a little under attenuation ????♂️ Clean, grassy, and corn. Time to lager for a couple weeks. #heritagelager #blahgers #americanlager pic.twitter.com/28rZW4Gn8S
— Andy Ruhland (@ruhbrewer) October 11, 2021
Badger Hill Brewing Company
- Family Ties – A collaboration with 612Brew (on tap at both breweries, brewed separately at each), this is a dry-hopped Belgian=style golden strong ale with ginger, chamomile, and showcasing Triple Pearl and Nelson Sauvin hops.
- Can I Speak To Your Manager? (“I Don’t Intend to Pay for This”) – With a wink to the service industry (tip your beertenders, folks), this New England-style IPA features a blend of Strata, Mosaic, Ekuanot Cryo, and HBC 568 hops and pours at 7.2% ABV.
- Now Presenting: Plum, Passion Fruit & Grapefruit – A smoothie-style Berliner Weisse aged that was foeder-aged on the three namesake fruits — “with a bit of milk sugar to round things out,” the brewery says. 6.3% ABV. In cans and on draft.
- TDH Sponge Bath – A “soothing and refreshing” double IPA, triple dry-hopped with Citra Cryo, Mosaic, Cashmere Cryo, and Strata hops. 8.5% ABV.
????????????TDH SPONGE BATH????????????
TDH DIPA (8.5%)
Triple helpings of our hand selected Citra Cryo, Mosaic, Cashmere Cryo & Strata. Soothing and refreshing, just like a sponge bath at Burning Man. Relax, Rinse & Repeat.
Dropping in stores as we speak. On tap & in crowlers now???? pic.twitter.com/Lhu2BN6q1J
— BlackStack Brewing (@BlackStackBrew) November 11, 2021
Boom Island Brewing Company
- Yule – The winter seasonal is back. This winter warmer ale is aged in cherry brandy barrels with dark chocolate.
Brickworth Beer Co.
- Poise – “This Pilsner was brewed with a fairly traditional step-mash regimen before being partially fermented and fully lagered in white wine barrels from Rombauer Vineyards,” the brewpub notes. 5.1% ABV.
Dangerous Man Brewing Company
- Danger Zone: Nectarine Dream Brett Lambic – “Funky, bright, and drinks like nectarine juice and an effervescent dry crisp champagne,” the brewery says of this single barrel, mixed fermented beer available only on tap at the brewery.
- Highland Amber – A crisp amber ale with notes of caramel and biscuit with molasses undertones.
This week on tap from the ⚠️DANGER ZONE ⚠️: NECTARINE DREAM BRETT LAMBIC. Funky, bright, & drinks like nectarine juice & an effervescent dry crisp champagne. The Danger Zone is our series of mixed fermented & experimental single barrel projects. ON TAP ONLY. Open at noon today! pic.twitter.com/VnX49ftgGb
— DangerousMan (@DangerousMan7) November 13, 2021
- Deadstop – A Czech-style amber lager with light biscuit notes that finishes with “a light, smoky caramel sweetness from aging on oak chips,” the brewery explains. 4.4% ABV.
- Down With The Citrus – Tangerine, orange, vanilla, and lactose combine for creamsicle-like flavors in this sour ale.
You know we gotta get ya w/ another NEW RELEASE!????
D E A D S T O P
Czech style Amber Lager has bready to light biscuit flavors finishing w/ a light, smoky caramel sweetness from aging on oak chips. Giving the flawless tastes that complements the true beauty of nature. ABV 4.4% pic.twitter.com/IK2ZQVjDK3
— Disgruntled Brewing (@disgruntledBrew) November 12, 2021
- King of the Thing – Released last Friday, this double IPS is soft and juicy with lychee, candied lemon, and peach bellini-like flavors, the brewery says. 8.3% ABV.
- PLOP! – This time around the PLOP is made with raspberry and mango. 5.9% ABV.
- Whisper Scream – Made with Kviek yeast, “This IPA some big citrusy notes that pair nicely with Rakau, Mosaic, and Wimea hops,” Drekker explains. 6.7% ABV.
Whisper Scream is back for the 4th beer on Friday’s release! A few years ago we wanted to play around with a new strain of Scandinavian yeast we’d read about and after searching high and low we were able to track some down and Whisper Scream was born. Kveik yeast is much pic.twitter.com/UjfuCSvYRG
— Drekker Brewing (@DrekkerBrewing) November 10, 2021
Dual Citizen Brewing Company
- Ryeteous Vibes Autumnal Red Rye
Eastlake Craft Brewery
- Nicollet Mauler Black IPA – A dark in color IPA with notes of licorice, pine, juicy cherry, and dark chocolate, “with a sultry sharpness that lingers,” Eastlake says.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- I Can’t Say I’ve Seen London – A roasty dark porter with smooth cold press coffee, served on nitro for extra creamy vibes. Taproom only.
- It’s Beverage Time – Available in “mugs and jugs,” this is a house-made cocktail with high proof hard seltzer, fresh-pressed apple cider, brown sugar syrup, and mulling spices. Designed to be served hot.
Falling Knife Brewing Co.
- FWB – Filled With Berries—specifically raspberry and blackberry.
— Lake Wine & Spirits (@lakewinespirits) November 16, 2021
- Stratospheric – A hazy imperial IPA from the Willmar brewery.
Great Lakes Brewing Co.
- Dank Demon Imperial IPA – A new imperial IPA with resinous tones.
A resinous ruler has risen! ???????????????? ???????????????????? ???????????????????????????????? ???????????????? ???????????? is now shipping throughout our distribution footprint. Learn more here: https://t.co/N8mISCXaXY pic.twitter.com/mzRiQtaP0J
— GreatLakesBrewingCo. (@GLBC_Cleveland) November 8, 2021
On Saturday, HeadFlyer will be selling barrel-aged flights as well as 750-milliliter bottles.
- BAMF’D Cherry – “BAMF’D aged in cherry brandy barrels with luxardo cherries,” HeadFlyer explains.
- BAMF’D Chocolate Raspberry – This BAMF’D variant was made with chocolate and raspberry.
- BAMF’D Coconut Rum – Ated in Cruzan rum barrels with coconut added.
- BAMF’D – “Barrel-aging in Knob Creek bourbon barrels adds a whole new level of mad flavors to the roasted coffee and chocolate in our MF Diesel Stout,” HeadFlyer says. Tapped last week.
- BAMF’D VSOP – BAMF’D (above), but aged in Eagle Rare barrels for 20 months.
- GOSE’D Hibiscus – Aged in J. Carver gin barrels, this tart and salty gose has added hibiscus, which provides a floral touch.
- HeadStrong Grape Brandy – HeadFlyer Strong Ale, aged in J. Carver brandy barrels.
- Hallucidation – Top Flight selection.
Indeed Brewing Company
- Mixed Nuts Cream Ale – Just in time for the holiday season, this cream ale with natural flavors offers notes of hazelnut, almond, and chestnuts with a salty finish. 5.5% ABV, 15 IBU.
- Stir Crazy – A winter seasonal porter with notes of dark chocolate, toffee, caramel, and a hint of vanilla. 6.5% ABV, 40 IBU.
- Taiga IPA – Pineapple, mango, grapefruit, and pine flavors define this IPA brewed with fresh Sultana hops. 7.0% ABV, 60 IBU.
Jack Pine Brewery
- Lemon Meringue Pastry Sour
- Novembrrr Cold IPA
- Seltzer – Two new seltzer flavors tapped at the start of the month: Pineapple and Watermelon-Lemon.
Look what's back! ????
Lemon Meringue Pastry Sour is now on tap, come on in and enjoy a glass, or grab some beer to-go! ???????? pic.twitter.com/1CZZSRQJTU
— Jack Pine Brewery (@JackPineBrewery) November 12, 2021
Kinney Creek Brewery
- Kveik’n Around – “This Norwegian Pale ale is your easy-drinking and lightly fruited best friend. With a smooth start and a crisp finish,” the brewery says.
- Lady Slipper Sour – Fruity and tart with a subtly dry finish, the brewery says.
- Band Wagon – A limited s’mores stout.
NEW BEER ON TAP! This Lady Slipper Sour packs a fruity yet tart punch with a subtle dry finish. Try it in the taproom today!#newbeer #beerrelease #beer #sourbeer #sour #kinneycreekbrewery #mnbrewery #rochester_mn #rochestermn #rochmn #rochestermnbrewery pic.twitter.com/wNgDmji23L
— Kinney Creek Brewery (@KinneyCreekBrew) November 10, 2021
Lake Monster Brewing
- Rye Dortmunder – A rye twist on a traditional Dortmunder Export-style lager, which adds a spice and toasted bread note. A Pilot Batch taproom exclusive at 5.5% ABV.
Lakes & Legends Brewing Company
- Alpenglow – New in the Wanderer series, this hazy IPA offers pineapple and tangerine flavors with a soft and pillowy body, the brewery says. On tap for a first taste now and coming to liquor stores soon.
Little Thistle Brewing Co.
- Sweatuh Weathuh – A spiced winter ale with malt and alcohol notes upfront, but also ginger, molasses, allspice, cinnamon, and star anise. 7.4% ABV.
- The Garth Brooks Juice Diet – A juicy new beer double dry-hopped with Nelson Sauvin and Galaxy with notes of passionfruit, white wine, grapes, citrus, peach, and gooseberry. 5.8% ABV.
- Galaxy Butcher – A new hazy single-hopped IPA.
See you Thursday for the release of our newest beer. Galaxy Butcher. This is a Single Hop Hazy IPA. As you can guess we are using Galaxy Hops. See you at @FlaskMankato Thursday 5-7pm. Great food and beer! Plus a chance to win tickets to @MankatoBeerExpo in January! pic.twitter.com/cA4IIbYDIn
— Mankato Brewery (@MankatoBrewery) November 9, 2021
Modist Brewing Co.
- Mrs. Parker – A collaboration beer with Soul Bowl, inspired by the restaurant’s peach cobbler. “It’s a Peach Cobbler Cheesecake Ale with barley, malted wheat, milk sugar, and conditioned on peaches, vanilla bean, cream cheese, and Soul Bowl’s secret spice blend,” Modist says. On tap this Saturday with a release party from 5–8 pm.
New Glarus Brewery
- Blueberry Cocoa Stout – A chocolate and blueberry milk stout, available across the border in Wisconsin only.
Just in time for the holidays! Blueberry Cocoa Stout! Exquisitely balanced mélange of indigo berry spheres fuse with silky milk chocolate leading this sensory adventure. Happy Wisconsin spotted cows contributed natural milk lactose sweetness to this authentic milk stout!#cheers???? pic.twitter.com/fntCQEVu36
— New Glarus Brewery (@newglarusbrew) November 15, 2021
- The Food Critic’s Evil Son – A sour ale made with cherry, chocolate, and toasted marshmallow. 5% ABV.
- Xuul – 8% ABV doppelbock.
OMNI Brewing Co.
- Lager – Available in cans now.
- You Serious Clark? – A tropical 10.5% ABV triple IPA for the holiday season. On tap now and in liquor stores soon.
- Snowstorm – Top Flight selection.
- Dortmunder – A 6.1% ABV German-style lager.
- Holy Molé! – A barrel-aged bock with added ancho, cayenne, bueno mulata, and cascabel peppers, plus cacao nibs and cinnamon. Sold in 750-milliliter bottles also.
- Turning Point – A 7.7% ABV tropical stout.
- Big Barge – Top Flight selection.
Summit Brewing Company
- Winter Ale – Nutty with spice notes, Winter Ale is back and so are the flurries.
— Summit Brewing (@summitbeer) November 13, 2021
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company
- Atomic Tangerine Sour – A fruited sour ale made with tangerine puree.
- Barrel Aged Apple Pie Salted Nut Roll Ale – Available in bottles today.
- First Pressing – A bourbon barrel-aged vanilla cold press imperial stout. Available in bottles and only sold at the taproom.
Today is the day to prepare for that upcoming chilly weather with First Pressing, our Bourbon Barrel-Aged Vanilla Cold Press Coffee Imperial Stout!
This TAPROOM ONLY bottle release was made in partnership with @caydencemn, available now in the taproom cooler! pic.twitter.com/zTClHaJBzR
— Tin Whiskers Brewery (@TinWhiskersBrew) November 7, 2021
Toppling Goliath Brewing Co.
- Digital Dawn – A new IPA from the Decorah, IA brewery.
- Double Dry Hopped King Sue – Out now and in cans for the first time.
COMING SOON! ???? Double Dry Hopped King Sue is brewing this week and will soon be hitting the shelves for the first time ever in cans! Who's ready?! ???? pic.twitter.com/fb0F8rKHwX
— Toppling Goliath Brewing Company (@TGBrews) November 15, 2021
Urban Growler Brewing Company
- Rock Hop Fresh Hop – Top Flight selection.
- Tangled TinsAle Amber Ale – A 6.8% ABV, 50 IBU amber ale with seven malt varieties that combine for wintery spice and pine tones.
Wabasha Brewing Company
- Transcendent IPA – A new IPA with guava, citrus, strawberry, and dank tones. 6.5% ABV, 59 IBU.
Transcendent IPA debuts on tap Today in our taproom. Cans coming in early December.
This holy roller smells like a dank, ripe strawberry patch. Tastes like a guava, citrus, and strawberry hop punch. 6.5% ABV 59 IBU.
Not a Hazy, not a West Coast IPA.
It’s Transcendent. pic.twitter.com/fGWZhcEawp
— Wabasha Brewing Company (@wabashabrewery) November 12, 2021
Wild Mind Ales
- Bahama J – Pineapple, orange, cherry, coconut, and sea salt are all in this new sour IPA.
- Winter’s Edge – A seasonal dark lager that is fermented with blackstrap molasses and hopped with Czech Saaz.
- WLD WTR: Blueberry Creme – An imperial smoothie-style seltzer with blueberries and cream.
Wooden Hill Brewing Co.
- Bourbon Barrel-Aged Espresso Crow – A 9.5% ABV imperial stout plus.
Have a new beer we should know about? Send the details to firstname.lastname@example.org for inclusion in Freshies.