Welcome to Beer Dabbler’s Freshies, our weekly rundown on the newest beers hitting the store shelves and taproom coolers in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries.
Hop-forward, dank, citrusy, tropical, and stone fruit-like flavors may be the trend du jour, but beer comes in all flavors, colors, and clarities. This week’s latest offerings around the state lean toward sessionable, light-in-color lagers, blondes, and golden ales. Sometimes it’s a classic recipe and, at others, with additions that range from raspberry and rhubarb to coffee and tea.
So find a hazy double dry-hopped double IPA, a smoked lager, a crushable light lager, or a silky smoothie sour and get out there now that it’s officially summertime—whether that means on the pontoon, at a picnic, or anywhere else.
Each week, the Beer Dabbler team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers that we’re most excited to try.
Bad Habit Barrel-Aged Hipster Peanut – “Without a doubt our trendiest stout,” this barrel-aged imperial peanut butter milk stout was aged for 12 months in Elijah Craig bourbon barrels.
Lakes & Legends Holla Blanc – A 5% ABV SMaSH pale ale made with pale malt and Hallertau Blanc hops, Lakes & Legends describes Holla Blanc as, “Semi dry with a slight white wine aroma and white grape notes are rounded out by small amounts of pineapple, making this 5% ABV beer great for a hot summer’s day.
Pryes Le Bois De Rêves – The first release in Pryes’ Idyll Forest series the brewery explains that “Wild blueberries danced inside oak barrels for six months, making magic with a blonde mixed culture wild ale, transforming into the bright, tart, ripe flight of whimsy in this bottle.”
Unmapped Sally – A single-hop hazy showcasing an experimental German hop that delivers melon, strawberry, and stone fruit on the nose with a smooth, earthy, and fruity flavor profile, the brewery says.
Wooden Ship Gooseberry Gose – A 4.7% ABV fruited gose with tart and salty character.
New beers available this week
608 Brewing Company
- Oops! All Mosaicnado – A one-off variation of Citranado house hazy IPA, 608 says: “Notes of dankness, cantaloupe, guava, and a subtle lemon bitterness gives the Citranado malt base a whole new complexity. A smoother ride than Citranado, with a totally different hop profile.” 7.2% ABV, on draft and in 4-packs.
Alloy Brewing Company
- Frenemies – A hazy IPA brewed with Zappa and Sultana hops. 5.8% ABV, 31 IBU.
- Crispi IPA – The inaugural beer in a new Collaborative Lager Series, the first beer was made with Jace Marti of Schell’s. “Riffing off a Cold IPA, the idea was to make a clean, well-attenuated lager with a huge hop flavor,” Arbeiter says. The beer is smooth, clean, and easy-drinking, yet with big hop flavors such as pineapple, orange, mango, and peach. 6.2% ABV, 94 IBU.
- D-Hazy IPL – “Since this beer was supposed to be a big hazy IPA initially, there is a relatively high percentage of adjunct (wheat malt, oat malt, and flaked wheat) that, coupled with hop oils, creates the perception of an excessively big body but as you move through the sip, a lightness presents itself, the result of being fermented with lager yeast,” the brewery says. 7.8% ABV, 35 IBU.
- Stout! In the Name of Love – A stout for the summertime with a soft body, plus roasty and rich chocolate flavors. 5.7% ABV, 34 IBU.
Bad Habit Brewing Company
- Barrel-Aged Hipster Peanut – Top Flight selection.
- Juice Factory – The American IPA is back on tap now.
Bad Weather Brewing Company
- Lightning – A low calorie light lager with lime. On tap and in Crowlers.
Low Cal Light Lager with Fresh Lime.
Lightning is back on tap today and will be available in crowlers starting tomorrow. pic.twitter.com/XTKWfVKAAQ
— Bad Weather Brewing (@BadWeatherBrew) June 24, 2021
- Braaaaaaaains! – A new smoothie-style beer made with strawberry, lemon, sea salt, lactose, and vanilla. For fans of strawberry lemonade, it pours at 7.4% ABV.
- Hyper Scream – A double IPA brewed with a blend of Vic Secret, CTZ, and Citra, plus Kveik yeast for notes of citrus, peach, and pineapple.8.4% ABV.
- Mango Hurricane Fluff PLOP – Hard seltzer with mango, passion fruit, lime, and marshmallow too. 7.5% ABV.
- Slang Du Jour Sour a la Mode – The latest in this series was made with strawberry, raspberry, blackberry, granola, cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, lactose, and vanilla. 7.8% ABV.
Mango Hurricane Fluff PLOP: Hefty Fruited Seltzer with Mango, Passionfruit, Lime, and Marshmallows⠀
In this edition of PLOP our mad scientist brewers set their adjunct-o-matic juice beams to TROPICAL and blasted out the vibes. This technique is very scientific, and we pic.twitter.com/Rmn1UmMxgu
— Drekker Brewing (@DrekkerBrewing) June 23, 2021
Earth Rider Brewery
- Tap Shack Caribbean Lager – A Caribbean-style lager with a touch of lime zest. 5% ABV, 16 IBU.
Our Tap Shack Caribbean Lager is returning NEXT WEEK! Light, crisp and refreshing, Tap Shack Caribbean Lager is similar to beers enjoyed on the islands of the Caribbean. Brewed with a touch of lime zest, Tap Shack is made hot summer days. Join us for First Pour Friday, June 25th. pic.twitter.com/ltOLwDH6d2
— Earth Rider Brewery (@EarthRiderBeer) June 16, 2021
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- Alphabet Squad – A hard seltzer with passion fruit and dragon fruit.
- Even Less Hype – The first American oak foeder-aged lager from Fair State, with more promised to come. This first edition is a Czech-style dark lager described as crisp and clean with notes of light and toasty chocolate malt character, plus hints of toasted marshmallow and light oak tannins from the foeder.
- IPA – A 5.8% ABV Reinheitsgebot friendly IPA, now available.
Great Lakes Brewing Company
- Tidal Fury – Great Lakes has packaged its first imperial hazy IPA, brewed with a mix of Trident, Zappa, and Simcoe hops. “Tidal Fury Imperial Hazy IPA swirls up a tempest of tropical fruit aromas and flavors,” the brewery says, with notes of passion fruit, citrus, and pine complemented by a soft bitterness. 8.0% ABV, 40 IBU. Sold in 4-packs of 16-ounce cans.
Hoops Brewing Company
- No. 129 Guava Wheat – A 5.3% ABV “warm weather pleaser,” says the brewery.
— Hoops Brewing (@hoopsbrewing) June 19, 2021
- Enchanted Island – A new imperial tiki sour ale with passion fruit, orange, and coconut up front, with notes of lime, cranberry, and pomegranate. 9% ABV.
Jamaica holds a very special place in our hearts as two of our Humble team members were wed in Montego Bay while others have shared in such comical Jamaican adventures that they could have created the fourth Hangover movie! 😉 pic.twitter.com/jTamOyhle8
— Humble Forager (@HumbleForager) June 23, 2021
- Raspberry Jam Bam – A bright and smooth blonde ale with the addition of raspberry. 5.4% ABV, 13 IBU.
Jack Pine Brewery
- Key Lime Pastry Sour – A pie-inspired “beer-meets-dessert” wheat beer with added graham cracker, lactose, vanilla, and lime for a sweet-tart balance. 5% ABV. On tap today and hitting liquor stores next week.
Kinney Creek Brewery
- Vixen – The German-style red is back on tap.
Lakes & Legends Brewing Company
- Holla Blanc – Top Flight selection.
Luce Line Brewing Co.
- Blazing Star – A light-bodied blonde ale with notes of stone fruit, citrus, and orange peel plus herbal Earl Gray tea flavors.
- Singing Hills Summer Wheat – “A classic American wheat beer with watermelon and prickly pear. Expect this to be light and crushable with watermelon and prickly pear flavors and a bright red color,” the brewery sums up.
Modist Brewing Co.
- Double Up 2 Up – On tap tomorrow, June 26, and in liquor stores next week, this is a double dry-hopped oat cream new England-style double IPA. 8.3% ABV.
- Invisible Strings – A 5.5% ABV new lager with strawberry, rhubarb, and vanilla. On tap this Saturday at the brewery and in liquor stores next week.
- Somos Extremos – A 6.5% ABV coffee golden ale.
Pryes Brewing Co.
- Belgian Summer – A new seasonal Belgian-style white ale, tapped last week, with notes of citrus and clove and a light and hazy appearance.
- Course Correct – An easy-drinking hazy pale ale with citrus notes of ripe pineapple and mango, the brewery says.
- Infinite Groove – The latest Cartographer series smoothie-style ale was made with fresh peaches, Nelson Sauvin hops, and vanilla.
- Le Bois De Rêves – Top Flight selection.
Stacked Deck Brewing Co.
- The Secret of Strata Mountain – This 8.5% ABV double IPA was made with a big dose of Strata hops and is sold in 16-ounce cans.
Surly Brewing Company
- Beyond the Fog – “Strata, Citra, Talus and experimental hop varietals add a fruity and dank hop flavor to this intense double IPA,” the brewery says of this 7.6% ABV Beer Hall-only option.
- Celestial Doom – Another Beer Hall exclusive, this is an 11% ABV stout with rich cocoa, roasted malt flavors. Contains lactose.
- Proving Ground – This Beer Hall exclusive initiates a new series of experimentally-hopped IPAs, beginning with a 6% IPA with the not yet named Hopsteiner 09236 variety.
- Twisted Twilight – Galaxy and Citra hops add tropical and citrus flavor to this smooth and silky IPA,” Surly says. Available exclusively at the Beer Hall in Minneapolis.
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company
- Cordial Invite – A limoncello double hazy IPA brewed to celebrate Tin Whiskers’ 7th anniversary. It taps today and will be in liquor stores in early July.
We weren't sure if we'd get to have a big party this year, so we're bringing our anniversary beer to cans for the first time! Introducing Cordial Invite, our Limoncello Double Hazy IPA.
Cordial Invite debuts in the taproom on 6/25, while cans ship to stores in early July. pic.twitter.com/dc9ECBgQPn
— Tin Whiskers Brewery (@TinWhiskersBrew) June 16, 2021
Union 32 Craft House
- Wilderness Run – A West Coast–style IPA with dank, crisp, and bitter notes and a clean finish. 6.7% ABV, 65 IBU.
Unmapped Brewing Co.
- Sally – Top Flight selection.
- Tonka Lite – A 4% American light lager: “Pale gold with a frothy head, you can enjoy this large batch brew on tap, in growlers, or Crowlers,” Unmapped says.
Ursa Minor Brewing
- Blackberry Miss Shenanigans
- Pontoon Pounder – A lower alcohol sour ale with hibiscus, lime, and sea salt.
- Neo Luddite – A smoked lager with a biscuity sweetness and pepper spice from the use of Beechwood-smoked malt.
Venn Brewing Company
- Watermelon Gose – A 4.5% ABV kettle sour.
Voyageur Brewing Company
- Gunwale Bobber – Hazy IPA
- Swamper Pilsner – Tapped earlier this month.
Wabasha Brewing Company
- Strawberry Rhubarb Kölsch – Tapped this week and in take-home Crowlers too.
Waconia Brewing Company
- Lemon Drop Seltzer – “We took beautiful Waconia water, lemon peels, lemon oil, sugar, a touch of hops, a mix of flavors and yeast to create our take on the style,” the brewery says. 4.8% ABV, gluten-free, and 130 calories.
- Pontoon Pale Ale – On tap beginning today.
Wicked Wort Brewing Co.
- Far, Far Away Galaxy IPA – A thick and juicy IPA with mango, passion fruit, and citrus flavors. 6.4% ABV, 44 IBU.
- Mango Pale Ale – A Mosaic-hopped pale ale with fresh mango puree for extra tropical notes in addition to those from the dry-hopping technique. Pours at 5% ABV, 30 IBU.
- Dude Bro Blood Orange Lime Zest Light Lager – Tapped roughly two weeks ago, this is a light lager at 4.4% ABV, 16 IBU with “notes of organic puree along with fresh lime zest,” the brewery says.
Wild Mind Ales
- Transatlantic Balloonist – A 4.5% ABV smoothie-style sour ale with pineapple, guava, and locally made North Mallow Vanilla Swirl marshmallows.
- Wannabe Wallaby – “Wannabe Wallaby is a crispy clean Kolsch that was dry-hopped with everyone’s favorite hops from New Zealand: Motueka and Nelson Sauvin,” the brewery says of this foeder-made offering. 4.8% ABV.
Wild State Cider
- Craft Tea – Wild State has three flavors of cider fermented with cold-brewed black tea. Sold in a mixer with the three flavors, Craft Tea is 5% ABV, naturally gluten-free, and has “just a touch” of caffeine:
- Half and Half – Black tea and lemonade blend.
- Original Blend
- Triple Berry
Wooden Hill Brewing Company
- Dry Bean – “A coffee-infused Blonde Ale named for the process of steeping whole coffee beans in beer (aka ‘dry beaning’) for a fresh aroma and flavor,” Wooden Hill says. 6.4% ABV.
- Solar Plunge – A 5.9% ABV tropical and juicy IPA made with Mosaic, Motueka, and Bitter Gold hops.
Wooden Ship Brewing Company
- Gooseberry Gose – Top Flight selection.
- Kolsch – 4.5% ABV
- Small Win! – A 4.0% ABV session IPA.
- Vienna Lager, 5.3% ABV
- Witbier, 4.6% ABV
- Kellerbier – A 6.1% ABV unfiltered lager with a rich, roasted malt base, the brewery says.
- Picnic Beer – Made for summer outings, this is a crisp Helles-style golden lager with a creamy, silky palate and balanced flavor with a refreshing crispiness, Yoerg says. 5.7% ABV.
Beers just announced
Bad Habit Brewing
- Crush-A-Lot – An upcoming hazy IPA. 7% ABV.
Surly Brewing Company
- Occult Philosophy – A hazy double dry-hopped double IPA brewed with Lotus, Mosaic, and Strata hops. Available next week. 9.2% ABV.
Wooden Ship Brewing Company
- Tafelbier – A table beer collaboration with Badger Hill, brewed this week.
Have a new beer we should know about? Send the details to email@example.com for inclusion in Freshies.