Welcome to Beer Dabbler’s Freshies, our weekly rundown on the newest beers hitting the store shelves and taproom coolers in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries.
From apple everything to tart, juicy, creamy, and sweet—there are so many flavors to choose from. We see tropical sour ales, tart berry beers, and more than one rhubarb concoction for a full dose of Midwest. Then, in other styles, pumpkin beers continue to pop up, just in time for Halloween, and more and more porters seem to be hitting the market as well.
These beers are available at their home taprooms, area liquor stores and bars, and many are tapping at Autumn Brew Review, which takes place this weekend at Boom Island Park in Minneapolis with an all-Minnesota focus, after skipping 2020. One of which is a Canadian Tuxedo-inspired foeder sour ale from Minnesota’s northernmost brewery.
Each week, the Beer Dabbler team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers that we’re most excited to try.
Bad Weather Scarecrow’s Friend – The autumn-spiced seasonal cream ale is back on tap at the brewery, beginning today.
Bauhaus Froth Bite – One of four offerings in the Freezebox mix page, this dry-hopped German-style Pilsner light in body with a floral aroma and assertive bitterness at the finish, the brewery says. 4.9% ABV, 35 IBU.
Dangerous Man Imperial Pumpkin Ale – Aged in ex-Jamaican rum Templeton rye whiskey barrels and don sale in 750-milliliter bottles 10.8% ABV.
Duluth Cider 2020 Big Bad Apple Bash – “We pressed apples donated from all over the community and turned them all into a super unique, incredibly complex dry cider: The 2020 Bash Blend. Then we aged those bottles in our cellar for a year. The Bash release also featured hot mulled cider and three to-be-announced limited offerings.
Junkyard Mom’s Not Home – A cookie stout made with “freshly baked chocolate chip cookies,” plus more chocolate and vanilla. 7.6% ABV.
New beers available this week
- I Can’t Believe It’s Not Hard Cider – “This Apple Ale is light, crisp, and balances with subtle apple notes,” the brewery says of this fall ale. 5.8% ABV.
- Snicker’s Stout – A 7.9% ABV candy car-inspired stout.
Able Seedhouse + Brewery
- Strawberry Rhubarb Sour – “It was brewed with rhubarb and rested on strawberries giving it a slightly fruity balanced acidity and a tart clean finish,” the brewery says. 6.2% ABV.
Alloy Brewing Company
- Hard Rapids Raspberry, Orange & Vanilla Seltzer – A 5.5% ABV seltzer made with real raspberries, orange, and vanilla.
New Hard Seltzer Release: Hard Rapids Raspberry, Orange & Vanilla Seltzer 5.5% ABV
A nod to the city that we call home; this is a true craft seltzer, made with real raspberries, oranges and vanilla.@smokin_js_bbq14 joins us today from 4-8pm to support the release! pic.twitter.com/jbARAFUn8d
— Alloy Brewing Company (@AlloyBrewingCo) October 8, 2021
Back Channel Brewing Co.
- Trail Blaze – A 6.0% ABV porter with roasty, nutty, and chocolate notes.
Back Shed Brewing Company
- Clamshell – Black cherry hard seltzer.
- Draggin’ Feet – Once a contender for the name of the brewery, they instead saved it for their first New England-style IPA, which is now on tap.
- Peanut Butter Porter – Back on tap, as of last week.
Bad Habit Brewing Company
- Boat Drinks – An IPA with added coconut and pineapple.
- Leather & Mahogany – A Scotch ale with notes of caramel and roasted dark malts.
Bad Weather Brewing Company
- Due Date 3 – A limited supply of this brandy-aged Belgian-style quad with dates is on tap now, offering notes of caramel, dates, cherries, vanilla, oak, and spice, the brewery says. Due Date 5 is also currently on tap.
- Ominous – The double brown ale is back — at the brewery and select stores now.
- Scarecrow’s Friend – Top Flight selection.
Bald Man Brewing
- Spirit is the Sky Strawberry Rhubarb Blonde – A portion of proceeds from this beer will benefit the Breast Cancer Education Association.
Bauhaus Brew Labs
- Froth Bite – Top Flight selection.
- Knight Fever – A dark Munich-style dunkel lager: “Deeply toasty, with a hint of chocolate, this is a decidedly malt-balanced beer that…Finishes clean with a slight sweetness,” Bauhaus says.. 5.2% ABV, 21 IBU.
- Snow Motion – A West Coast-style IPA with assertive floral, citrus, and pine notes and a clean malt bill. 7.2% ABV, 90 IBU.
- Winterloper – The Baltic-style porter returns. This rich dark beer is malt-forward with caramel and dried fruit flavors complemented by a smooth roasty finish. 8.0% ABV, 35 IBU.
- Dark – The colder weather stout is back on tap now in Duluth.
Stop by for a little pick-me-up on this chilly fall day with some DARK!
Taproom is open until 6pm tonight.
Cheers to stout season! pic.twitter.com/0SMGYklm8k
— Blacklist Beer (@BlacklistBeer) October 10, 2021
Broken Clock Brewing Cooperative
Broken Clock is turning back the clock for Volstead Days this weekend, noting the local politician behind legislation for both Prohibition and coops. They will have three special beertails available:
- Church Water – Take a base ofBarrel Aged Gin Saison, then add muddled cherries, cherry bitters, and a cherry on top as garnish.
- Happy Mule – Happy Hour Red ale mixed with ginger beer and garnished with a brown sugar rim and candied ginger.
- Purple Rain – “Purple Rain takes our Lavender Uprising IPA, mixes it with lemonade, has a pea flower simple syrup float and is garnished with mint leaves,” the coop brewery says.
Castle Danger Brewery
- Fresh Hop IPA – On tap at the brewery as of late September.
Tapping today! We have a partnership with Cedar Drive Stock Farm, out of Duluth, MN. This year, we brewed a special Fresh Hop IPA with their hops. It bursts with aromas of fresh cut grass, earth tones, zesty citrus, and pine. Only be available at our taproom while it lasts! pic.twitter.com/cmNrFjvon2
— Castle Danger Brewer (@cdangerbrewer) September 29, 2021
Dangerous Man Brewing Co.
- Imperial Pumpkin Ale – Top Flight selection.
- 2020 Big Bad Apple Bash – Top Flight selection.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- Union Lager – A collaboration with Schell’s Brewery, this Dortmunder lager is malty and golden and back on tap now.
- Watermelon + Lime Hard Seltzer
Great Lakes Brewing Co.
- Ohio City Oatmeal Stout – Back for the season.
- Cranberry Orange Fruited Sour – In the taproom now and coming to liquor stores soon, this is a tart and juicy sour ale.
Junkyard Brewing Co.
- Mom’s Not Home – Top Flight selection.
- Pink Lemonade Seltzer – A light, crisp, sweet and tangy hard seltzer available at the taproom.
- Starty Mouffer’s Hoppy America – An IPA brewed with Vic Secret, Wai-iti, and Citra hops for flavors of passion fruit and pineapple.
- Super Slush: Blueberry, Blackberry & Cherry – “This tart and creamy fruited sour was conditioned on rich vanilla, drizzled with lactose, and loaded to the brim with blueberries, blackberries, and cherries,” the brewery says, added up to “The perfect amount of sweetness with a tart punch.” 6.4% ABV.
🍪🏃♂️Mom’s Not Home🏃♂️🍪
Grab the jar and make a dash for the door, because Mom's Not Home!! We drizzled this Stout with chocolate, dumped in loads of creamy vanilla, and mixed in freshly baked chocolate chip cookies. This beer is full of jaw-dropping chocolatey goodness!
7.6% ABV pic.twitter.com/mDKYbbbXEp
— Junkyard Brewing Co. (@JunkyardBrewing) October 12, 2021
Lake Monster Brewing
- Purple Rain Fruited Sour – “The combination of black currant, blackberry, elderberry, blueberry, and Pinot Noir grapes grooves together wonderfully,” Lake Monster explains. 5.4% ABV, 7 IBU.
🐙NEW TAP ALERT🐙
Purple Rain Fruited Sour ABV: 5.4% IBU:7
The combination of Black Currant, Blackberry, Elderberry, Blueberry, and Pinot Noir grapes grooves together wonderfully. “You can always tell when the groove is working or not.” – Prince
On tap and in crowlers now! pic.twitter.com/BoXQYBtVAc
— Lake Monster Brewing (@LakeMonsterBrew) October 8, 2021
Lakes & Legends Brewing Company
- Color of Your Energy – A 4.8% ABV blonde ale.
Lupulin Brewing Company
- Belgian Blonde – A 6.5% ABV, 20 IBU Belgian-style blonde ale.
Modist Brewing Co.
- Abracadaver – A New-England-style double IPA hopped with Sultana, Citra, El Dorado Cryo, and Strata hops, to tap on Saturday and hitting liquor stores next Tuesday.
- Cutting Ribbons – Debuting first at Lakeville Liquor as they open a new location, this New England-style IPA features a hop cocktail of Sultana, Savro, Citra, and Sabro Cryo.
- Identically Different – “A New England IPA brewed without gluten. On tap for a limited time,” Modist says, noting that it was brewed in a facility that may risk some contamination.
- Mangoshino – A smoothie sour brewed with roughly 3,400 pounds of mango and sweet cherries. To tap on Saturday and coming to area liquor stores beginning on Oct. 19.
Introducing Abracadaver, our New England Double IPA w/ barley, oats, flaked oats, hopped & double dry hopped w/ Sultana, Citra, El Dorado Cryo & Strata.
Taproom Release: 10/16
Retail Release: 10/19
— modistbrewing (@ModistBrewing) October 11, 2021
New Glarus Brewing Co.
- Fat Squirrel – Back for 2021, this brown ale features a Wisconsin malt profile with hazelnut notes. Available only in Wisconsin.
This time of year, the brewery tends to get a little squirrelly!🐿
Introducing our Fat Squirrel! 100% Wisconsin malt of six different varieties impart the natural toasted color of the brew. Clean hazelnut notes result from these carefully chosen barley malts. Cheers! #craftbeer pic.twitter.com/LaUR6LQI2V
— New Glarus Brewery (@newglarusbrew) October 12, 2021
The Nordic Brewing Co.
- Blizzard of ’91 – A pie combination for the fall season, this new offering is both a pumpkin and pecan pie brown ale. 5% ABV.
- Double Fruit Pomegranate Anutart – The latest Anutart from Oliphant features pomegranate and pours at 5% ABV.
- Humans With Animal Lips – A tropical sour ale with passion fruit, orange, and guava. 5% ABV.
Pryes Brewing Co.
- Peanut Buddy – A creamy body and creamy peanut butter define this newly tapped porter.
Now on tap! Meet your new Peanut Buddy. Creamy, peanuty & velvety, this smooth porter hits all the right notes to showcase the flavor of the humble peanut. Grab a Buddy, friend. 🥜 pic.twitter.com/9fjlgCArMh
— Pryes Brewing Co. (@PryesBrewing) October 9, 2021
Revelation Ale Works
- Canadian Tuxedo Foeder Sour – Making its debut now, this foeder-aged sour was made with raspberry, blackberry, and maple and will also be available at Autumn Brew Review, where they’ll also pour Revtoberfest, Edison’s Medicine, Pajama Party Breakfast Stout, and Hurt Feelings NEIPA.
Urban Growler Brewing Company
- Apple Ale – “It’s an ale with a tiny hint of cinnamon spice and a strong sweet apple finish,” the brewery says. 5% ABV, 16 IBU.
Venn Brewing Company
- Cosmosis: Peachy O’s – An imperial sour made with peaches and apricots. 9.0% ABV.
A new Venn Cosmosis sour you’re sure to ap-PEACH-iate. Brewed with PEACHes and apricots, Cosmosis PEACHy O’s is defiantly a PEACHy keen 9.0% ABV sour. Don’t be apriCAUGHT missing out on this one! 🍑🍑🍑🍑#fruitedsour #imperialsour #peachsour #sourbeer pic.twitter.com/NABv57hruQ
— Venn Brewing (@vennbrewing) October 10, 2021
Wicked Wort Brewing Co.
Wild Mind Ales
- Grind Mind – A blonde stout inspired by Ciambella breakfast cake, this beer “is loaded with sweet lemon, milk sugar, a dash of vanilla bean and Minnesota sourced Bare Honey, combined with toasted coconut and cold brew,” the brewery explains.
Wooden Hill Brewing Company
- Dry Bean – A blonde ale infused with coffee. 6.4% ABV and on tap now.
- Hop Phantom – The 6% ABV juicy IPA has returned.
- Pixie Catcher – A 4.5% ABV cran-raspberry sour.
Wooden Ship Brewing Co
- Champ Summers – Wooden Ship’s smoked porter returns, with added dates and peppers: “Upfront, you get a nice spicy (but not too spicy) smoked porter, but as it warms, you begin to get more of those molé-ish sweet notes,” the brewery says.
- Rick’s First Day – Another smoked beer, this pale ale was then dry-hopped with Belma hops, which impart strawberry and orange-like flavors to meet the subtle smokiness.
Have a new beer we should know about? Send the details to email@example.com for inclusion in Freshies.