Welcome to Beer Dabbler’s Freshies, our weekly rundown on the newest beers hitting the store shelves and taproom coolers in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries.
It seems pumpkin isn’t the only fall seasonal ingredient, as somebody put peanut butter in nearly half the beers coming out this week. Perhaps we exaggerate a little, but it definitely plays a prominent role in blonde ales, porters, stouts, and more, from the OGs at Dangerous Man to a red ale at Kinney Creek and a banana plus honey combo at Junkyard.
While pumpkin, peanut butter, and s’mores may be trending up, there are still bountiful Märzen-style lagers tapping everywhere, new fruited kettle sours, a few cultured sours, and an increasing supply of pastry stouts on the horizon.
Each week, the Beer Dabbler team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers that we’re most excited to try.
Bang Neat – Bang is celebrating eight years in the bin this week, kicking it off with the return of their sparking bitter.
Fair State Cuttin’ Grass – Tapped last week, this 4.7% ABV blended saison offers hints of lemon with earthy funk from the Fair State house culture as well.
Great Lakes Nosferatu Imperial Red IPA – The annual fall seasonal is sold as part of the Imperial IPA series this year, beginning this week.
Surly Age of Leviathans – “Brewed with a new ‘ruby’ chocolate variant—noted for being rich, fruity and just slightly tart—plus raspberry puree, lactose, and vanilla beans, it’s complex, rich, and rules all that it surveys,” the brewery says of the latest BC Small Batch series release. 11.9% ABV.
Waldmann Märzen Oktoberfest – Brewed in July, this dry and mature seasonal lager is is an unfiltered, copper-hued creation that recently went on tap. The brewery is the only place to get it, on draft or in Crowlers, and it will also be featured heavily at the upcoming Oktoberfest party the weekend of September 17–19.
New beers available this week
- Fruit Cup – Tapped in late August, this 8.4% ABV double IPA is inspired by bag lunch favorite fruit cups from our youth.
- Haufeweizen – A 5.1% ABV hefeweizen-style beer named after brewery owner Jesse Hauf.
- Pomegranate Tangerine Imperial Sour – A tart-citrus balance between strong tangerine and sweet pomegranate.
3 Floyds Brewing
- Crom’s Beard – A double IPA featuring Strata hops.
“What is steel, compared to the hand that wields it?” ⚔️
Crom’s Beard, our latest Double IPA brewed exclusively with Strata hops, is available in all 3 Floyds markets now. Find it near you at https://t.co/rCNcyS2nXQ 🛡 pic.twitter.com/0M41qqMHQ3
— 3 Floyds Brewing (@3floyds) September 8, 2021
608 Brewing Company
- Waffle Iron – “Big sweet notes of maple syrup part way into toasty waffles and the stout body, with a roasty coffee finish,” 608 says of this new imperial stout with waffles, coffee, maple syrup, and vanilla. 11% ABV.
Alloy Brewing Company
- Neon Blue Raspberry Hard Seltzer – A 4.9% ABV bright-in-color hard seltzer.
- Strawberry Peach Hefeweizen – Strawberry and peach add to a hefeweizen base in this 5.4% ABV, 11 IBU beer.
Back Shed Brewing Company
Newly open in Waite Park, MN, Back Shed’s lineup features:
- Blonde, James Blonde Ale
- Cranky Man Cranberry Mango Blonde Ale
- Double Cross American Porter
- Pickin’ Daisies IPA
- La Di Da Di Raspberry Gose
- La Di Da Di Strawberry Pineapple Gose
- Project 624 (Rotating)
- Stompin’ Daisies IPA
- Neat – Top Flight selection.
Beaver Island Brewing Company
- Peanut Butter Sweet Miss – A peanut butter variant of the brewery’s oatmeal stout, sold in the Sweet Miss variety pack.
Big Wood Brewery
- Oktimberfest – A malt-forward Märzen-style lager with a crisp, clean finish, the brewery says. 5.9% ABV, 21 IBU.
- Wink Wink, Nudge Nudge – A new 4.5% ABV, 24 IBU golden ale.
- The Lager Queen of Minnesota – A brand new lager collaboration with author J. Ryan Stradal, named after his book The Lager Queen of Minnesota.
- Standing Ovation – A triple-dry-hopped triple IPA featuring Strata, Cashmere, and Cashmere Cryo hops. 10.5% ABV.
TDH TIPA (10.5%)
The final chapter in the saga that started with “SLOW CLAP” & “CLAP BACK”. Obnoxiously loud quantities of our Hand Selected Strata, Cashmere & Cashmere Cryo. Just be careful standing up… This one’s a doozie. pic.twitter.com/sRUWpbr09c
— BlackStack Brewing (@BlackStackBrew) September 9, 2021
Blue Wolf Brewing Company
- Oktoberfest – On tap and in liquor stores too. 5.3% ABV, 20 IBU.
This year's Oktoberfest will be available in the taproom starting September 9. Look for it in liquor stores this week as well. Prost! pic.twitter.com/BKCL0gX4OY
— Blue Wolf Brewing Co (@BlueWolfBrew) September 8, 2021
Boom Island Brewing Company
- Pitter Patter Peanut Butter Porter
- Pizza Rolls – The 6.8% ABV New England-style IPA made with a combination of Citra, Azacca, and Azacca Cryo hops is back on tap now.
Copper Trail Brewing Co.
- Lucky Red – An Irish-style red ale, “It offers smoky hints of fire roast, and an indulgence of smooth, bready, and caramel flavors,” the brewery says. 5.8% ABV, 20 IBU. On tap now, as the brewery participates in Alexandria’s Oletoberfest celebration this weekend.
Dangerous Man Brewing Company
- Apollo 7 – A hazy IPA made with a blend of Apollo, Idaho 7, and Sabro Cryo hops. At 6.9% ABV it offers flavors of citrus, pine, grapefruit, and flashes of coconut.
- BRU Eagle – Another new hazy IPA, this imperial pours at 8.5% ABV with notes of pineapple, pear, peach, and pine.
- Double Blackberry Lassi – Aged in whiskey barrels, this dark imperial sour was conditioned on blackberries and vanilla beans. Bottles went on sale on Thursday.
- S’mores Peanut Butter Porter – Dangerous Man’s famous Peanut Butter Porter, with added marshmallow, graham crackers, and chocolate. On tap for Labor Day last weekend, this special mix pours at 6.6% ABV.
S'MORES PEANUT BUTTER PORTER 🏕️🍫🥜 We finally reunited our peanut butter porter w/ swirls of toasted marshmallow, golden graham crackers, & melty chocolate. Stock up on this campfire classic & all your favorite DM brews for Labor Day weekend! 6.6% ABV. On tap & to-go TODAY! pic.twitter.com/o6l2ffQGeT
— DangerousMan (@DangerousMan7) September 2, 2021
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- Double Universe – A double Mirror Universe take with tropical, dank, and citrusy flavors. 10.5% ABV.
- Festbier – A seasonal lager with biscuit and burnt sugar malt notes complemented by noble hops. On tap and in stores now. Crowlers go on sale at Cooptoberfest on Sept. 18.
- Cuttin’ Grass – Top Flight selection.
Firestone Walker Brewing Company
- Citrus Cyclone Hazy IPA – One of three new hazy IPs in the brand new Tropical Hazy Mixed Pack. As that name implies, this 6.2% ABV, 20 IBU recipe offers big citrus flavors including tangerine.
- Hopical Crush Hazy IPA – Another Tropical Hazy Mixed Pack offering, Hopical Crush is “A double dry-hopped explosion of tropical Mai Tai-inspired flavors, including pineapple and orange,” the brewery says. 6.2% ABV, 25 IBU.
- Tiki Smash IPA – A hazy IPA with pineapple and tropical notes along with freshly toasted coconut. 6.2% ABV, 25 IBU, and sold in the Tropical Hazy Mixed Pack.
Founders Brewing Co.
- Highball Drifter – A cocktail-inspired 11% ABV offering with caramel, vanilla, dried fruit, spice, and hints of cherry and orange peel. Sold in 4-packs of 12-ounce bottles.
- Al – “This extremely light adjunct-ale is brewed with corn and rice, producing a bright, spritzy, and hop-free sparkling beverage,” Fulton says of the new taproom exclusive.
It’s ale, but you can call it Al. This extremely light adjunct-ale is brewed with corn and rice, producing a bright, spritzy and hop-free sparkling beverage. Available now only in our taproom. #FultonBeer #SparklingAl #TaproomExclusive #Ale pic.twitter.com/Jwfb6N3Jiz
— Fulton Beer (@fultonbeer) September 8, 2021
Great Lakes Brewing Co.
- Nosferatu Imperial Red IPA – Top Flight selection.
Junkyard Brewing Co.
- Underneath the Mango Tree – Available at Thursday’s Pollinator Party, this blonde ale is made with mango and honey.
- Money Honey – Another honey beer tapped for the Pollinator Party on Thursday, this lager features a blend of peanut butter, banana, and honey adjunct.
Kinney Creek Brewery
- PBJ Ale – A red ale with “nutty undertones and a grape jelly finish,” Kinney Creek says. Tapped last Friday as the Planters Nutmobile passed through Rochester.
Lakeside Tavern & Brewery
Left Hand Brewing Co.
- Oktoberfest – Notes of toasty bread and spice define this Märzen-style lager from Left Hand.
Lost Sanity Brewing
- Pumpkin Spice O’Fest – Tapped last weekend in limited supply.
LTD Brewing Co.
- Oktoberfest – Tapped last weekend at the brewery’s Oktoberfest celebration.
- Sleepwalker IIIPA – Tapped last weekend at the brewery’s Oktoberfest celebration.
Luce Line Brewing Co.
- Gitchi-Gami – “One of our rotating hazy IPAs with minimal bitterness and intense hop aroma and flavor consisting of lemon, lime, white grape, gooseberry, and, subtle pine,” the brewery explains.
Lupine Brewing Company
- Oktoberfest – A 6.7% ABV Märzen-style lager and the featured beer at the upcoming Delano Oktoberfest party on Sept. 18.
Lupulin Brewing Company
- Just Looks At It – A 9.5% ABV, 100 IBU West Coast-style IPA.
- S & M – Released on Wednesday, this 7.5% ABV, 60 IBU IPA features a combination of Simcoe and Mosaic hops with ample dank character.
Sold in the latest variety pack, along with Mad Butcher IPA:
- Coconut Cove – Pina colada cream ale
- Sector Berry – Raspberry blonde
- Tropic Luv – Session IPA.
Mineral Springs Brewery
- Luverne’s Concertina Pilsner
Modist Brewing Co.
- S’more Mallow – Modist’s latest s’mores-influenced beer is a lager that uses Pilsner malt, smoked malt, milk sugar, marshmallows, cocoa nibs, graham cracker, and vanilla beans for a light-body campfire beer experience.
Moose Lake Brewing Company
- Oktoberfest – A seasonal German-style lager released in part for the season, but also to celebrate five years of business at Moose Lake.
- Sword of Squishy – A 5% ABV sour ale made with cherry and blackberry, plus lactose, sea salt, and vanilla.
Pryes Brewing Co.
- Pryesfest – “A silky, toasty, smooth Märzen style lager,” the brewery says. On tap now and to be the beer of the hour at Pryesfest on Sept. 18.
On Tap Now: PRYESFEST 🍻
This year’s Pryesfest is a silky, toasty, smooth Märzen style lager. Available now in the taproom in pints and crowlers, and in 1L steins on the 18th at Pryesfest. Prost! pic.twitter.com/EuO94wIzrn
— Pryes Brewing Co. (@PryesBrewing) September 3, 2021
Rogue Ales & Spirits
- Dead ‘N’ Dead – A limited 9.5% ABV variant of Dead Guy Ale, aged on Dead Guy Whiskey-soaked oak chips.
— Red, Wine & Brew (@rwbMentor) September 2, 2021
Summit Brewing Company
- Oasis Crusher: Passion Fruit – Another in Summit’s line of fruited Kölsch-style ales, this passionfruit variant was available at the Minnesota State Fair and is also served at Target Field through the remainder of the Twins’ 2021 season.
Surly Brewing Co.
- Age of Leviathans – Top Flight selection.
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company
- Schottky Pumpkin Ale – ‘Tis the season for pumpkin beers.
Town Hall Brewery
- Necto-Dust IPA – A tropically hopped unfiltered IPA. Generous amounts of New Zealand Nectaron hops were used in hopping this beer to bring out all those wonderful passionfruit, peach, pineapple, and grapefruit-like flavors. 6.2% ABV. Available at 7 corners location starting 9/10/21, watch other locations social media pages for more release dates.
Union 32 Craft House
- League Winner – A hazy IPA showcasing Idaho 7 Cryo hops. “It’s tropical with hints of pine and bubblegum,” the Eagan brewpub explains.
Don’t sleep on this easy drinking Hazy IPA! 🍺
League Winner is our newest beer and is brewed with Idaho 7 Cryo Hops. It’s tropical with hints of pine and bubblegum. pic.twitter.com/dVzbbgC564
— Union 32 Craft House (@u32crafthouse) September 2, 2021
Urban Growler Brewing Company
- One Way Fair Gose – A semi-tart gose with hibiscus, plus coriander and sea salt. 5% ABV, 15 IBU.
- Märzen Oktoberfest – Top Flight selection.
Wild Mind Ales
- Star Chamber – A light-bodied, dry-hopped hazy pale ale with notes of lime zest, wildflowers, nectarine, and cannabis, the brewery says. 5.2% ABV.
Wooden Hill Brewing Company
- Gold Steps – “We stepped up our usual dry-hopping rate, doubling it with a mix of Citra, HBV 586, and Vic Secret hops,” Wooden Hill says of their latest West Coast-style double IPA. 7% ABV.
- NA Festbier – A non-alcoholic version of the classic celebratory lager.
- NA Honey Cream Ale – Brewed with lactose and wildflower honey.
Wooden Ship Brewing Co.
- A Normal IPA – Hopped with Cascade and Idaho 7, Wooden Ship describes this 6.3% ABV IPA as a throwback to “simpler times.”
- Farmacist – “Brewed in collaboration with Tim Johnson (formerly of Badger Hill), this malty, rye-forward beer was fermented with a blend of saison and Brett yeasts,” the brewery says. 4.3% ABV.
Have a new beer we should know about? Send the details to email@example.com for inclusion in Freshies.