Welcome to Beer Dabbler’s Freshies, our weekly rundown on the newest beers hitting the store shelves and taproom coolers in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries.
There’s something for everyone in the local beer scene. In this week’s Freshies, that includes vanilla, berries, peanut butter, and hops and hops and hops. But it’s not just fruited sours and juicy IPAs by a long shot. This week sees multiple non-alcoholic beers for those exploring Dry January, and there is a new big ‘n’ bold gluten-free stout in St. Paul. Elsewhere, seekers of new beers can try out pie- and cake-inspired dessert beers, hibiscus cider, smoked juniper lager, and a whole lot more.
Each week, the Beer Dabbler team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers that we’re most excited to try.
Bauhaus Neon Liger Doppelbock – “While Neon Liger bears all the hallmarks of a classic doppelbock, we electrified it with Neon espresso from our friends and neighbors at Dogwood, and added fresh orange zest during brewing for good measure. The result is a hefty (8.7%), wonderfully malty-sweet brew with notes of toast and chocolate, complemented by the acidic zing of cold-steeped coffee beans and a hint of bright, citrusy orange. This unique take on a classic German-style doppelbock is sure to please beer and coffee lovers alike! Neon Liger tallboy cans hit market this week and fresh draft pours are available at the Haus now,” says the brewery.
Burning Brothers Myth’d Opportunities – A limited-edition gluten-free breakfast stout with notes of chocolate, toasted coconut, and oats. “Warrior, Hersbrucker, and Cluster hops providing a smooth hint of bitterness on the finish,” the brewery says of the 10.01% ABV, 50 IBU stout available today.
Portage Coconut Affogato Double Stout –An 8% ABV double stout with added coffee, cacao nibs, and vanilla beans. “Decadent yet drinkable, with notes of coconut pulp and coffee,” the brewery says.
Scribbled Lines Fragmentary Delusion – Part of Lupulin Brewing’s offshoot sour project Scribbled Lines Brewing, this is a barrel-aged and bottle-conditioned dark sour ale with raspberries. “After spending 9 months in oak barrels with Brettanomyces, Lactobacillus, and Pediococcus, it spent another 6 months aging with 3 lbs of raspberries per gallon, creating a light and refreshing dark sour ale,” the brewery describes. 8% ABV.
Wooden Hill Spacer! – A non-alcoholic Pilsner brewed with German Pilsner malt and noble hops. Less than 0.5% ABV.
New beers available this week
- Nut Brown – A 6% ABV malt-driven nutty brown ale.
- You Betcha – A 5.6% ABV amber ale described as malt-forward with a slight sweetness.
They may look similar BUT they are two different beers that will be on tap today!
Nut Brown, this Brown Ale has malty and nut like flavors. ABV 6%
You Betcha’ our Amber Ale is back. Full of malty flavor and slight sweetness. ABV 5.6% pic.twitter.com/y5ImLffVLb
— 10K Brewing (@10kbrewing) January 18, 2021
608 Brewing Company
- Rype: Fruit Basket – A 6.7% ABV fruited sour ale made with blueberry, raspberry, cherry, and black currant.
Alloy Brewing Company
- Plum Lazer Lips – A 5.6% ABV balanced yet tart kettle sour with plum.
Arbeiter Brewing Co.
- Bibbdy Drippidy Hop – A double dry-hopped hazy IPA made in collaboration with Fair State. 6.7% ABV.
— Arbeiter Brewing (@arbeiterbrewing) January 15, 2021
Bauhaus Brew Labs
- Nah: Pink Guava Sour – A new non-alcoholic beer, this is a tart wheat ale with tropical fruit. “Nah: Pink Guava Sour features a pleasant lactic tartness with well-balanced salinity and fruit character. Cracked coriander was used in the whirlpool process to impart a unique citrus character that compliments the fruity sweetness derived from the fruit blend,” the brewery explains.
- NEON LIGER Doppelbock – Top Flight selection.
- Hopslam – Hopslam is available in bottles this year.
- No, Yeah – A new year-round golden ale that Bell’s calls crisp and refreshing with light malt character.
Burning Brothers Brewing Co.
- Myth’d Opportunities – Top Flight selection.
Castle Danger Brewery
- Black is the New Black – Available at the Two Harbors taproom now.
- Duncan’s Wee Heavy – Available at the Two Harbors taproom now.
- OG Pale Ale – Available at the Two Harbors taproom now.
- White Pine Project – “White Pine Project IPA boasts flavors and aromas of citrus, pine, and tropical fruits including pineapple, mango, and grapefruit,” the brewery says.
Copper Trail Brewing Co.
- Copper Scotty – A Scottish wee heavy that taps today, this is a bold, malt-forward beer with caramel sweetness and earthy roast character. 8.2% ABV, 24 IBU.
Day Block Brewing Co.
- Gym Shorts – A new 5.6% ABV New England-style IPA.
- Russian Imperial Stout – Available now at the Minneapolis brewpub, including in Crowlers.
What do we have for a winter warmer, you ask? How about this Russian Imperial Stout (no election interference from this bad boy). Limit 2 per person in store. Available in growlers (whoa!) and Crowlers! pic.twitter.com/z7srmcM9xN
— Day Block Brewing Co (@DayBlockBrewing) January 16, 2021
- Chonk: Sundae Sour – A sour ale made with strawberry, guava, and white chocolate. 7.3% ABV.
- Flarndip – A bourbon barrel-aged imperial stout with marshmallows, cacao nibs, and milk sugar. Available in 500-milliliter bottles. 10% ABV.
- Mass Quantities – A bourbon barrel-aged imperial stout with maple syrup, cacao nibs, cinnamon, milk sugar, and vanilla beans. Available in 500-milliliter bottles. 10% ABV.
- Narfle the Garthok – A bourbon barrel-aged imperial stout with banana, peanut butter, cacao nibs, cinnamon, marshmallows, graham crackers, mick sugar, and honey. Available in 500-milliliter bottles. 10% ABV.
- Braaaaaaaains! – A double fruit smoothie sour with mango, peach, apricot, lactose, sea salt, and vanilla beans. 7.4% ABV and available starting today.
- Cuddle Buddy – Made with a combination of Mosaic, Sabro, and Belma hops, Cuddle Buddy double IPA is back. This beer pours at 8.2% ABV and offers notes of ripe cantaloupe, candied lemon, and watermelon, the brewery says.
- Synaptic Cleft – A double IPA with a soft body from the inclusion of oats and wheat that was hopped with Motueka, Moutere, Citra, and Belma hops for citrus, stone fruit, and berry flavors.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- Air Five – A mixed berry marshmallow sour “brewed with an unreasonable amount of marshmallow, lactose, vanilla, strawberry, blueberry, blackberry, and raspberry,” the brewery says, adding, “It pours thick, sweet, and fruity, and tastes pretty much exactly like the list of ingredients in the previous sentence. It’s thick enough that we might suggest doing a gentle invert-and-roll on the crowler before you open it, to ensure that all that fruity goodness is well-distributed.”
- Hey, Remember Stouts? – An oatmeal stout with malt-forward flavors of roast, chocolate, and coffee. 5% ABV.
FINNEGANS Brew Co.
- Biere de Garde – A barrel-aged Belgian-style ale now on tap.
Great Lakes Brewing Co.
- Bierwolf Dunkelweizen – Available in 4-pack cans.
HammerHeart Brewing Company
- Åtteneint Hest – A “Northern IPA” courtest of Lino Lakes’ HammerHeart is now available in select liquor stores in the Twin Cities, Duluth, St. Cloud, Rochester, and Red Wing regions.
- Immigration Lager – Another new can release available in liquor stores, this is an Alderwood-smoked amber lager with juniper berries.
- Blueberry Peach Sour – A gose fermented with blueberries and peaches, this is a new Pastry Sour release that offers refreshing tart character. 5.5% ABV, 20 IBU.
Junkyard Brewing Co.
- Mama’s Trip To Hawaii – Also included in last week’s Freshies, Junkyard has a new “with more pulp” variant of Junkyard’s tropical ale with passionfruit, guava, pineapple, mango, blood orange, and tangerine, and actual tropical punch drink mix.
Lift Bridge Brewing Company
- Fireside Flannel: Trail Mix – A limited variant of Lift Bridge’s signature brown ale with added chocolate, cherry, and peanut.
Lupulin Brewing Company
- DDH Blissful Ignorance – “As if the madness of our Blissful Ignorance Double IPA was not enough, we took the undisputed champion of Double IPAs in Minnesota and roundhouse-kicked it in the face, cranking the hop loudness to 11,” says the brewery. Made with Falconers Flight, Mosaic, Citra, Galaxy, and Kohatu hops, this double IPA is 9% ABV.
- Ope! My Bad – A new non-alcoholic beer offered at the taproom in Minneapolis’ Uptown.
Modist Brewing Co.
- Among the Madness – Aged in oak foeders, this kölsch-style ale pours at 4.5% ABV and was brewed using Barke Pilsner malt, plus Sultana and Hallertau Mittelfrüh hops. On tap this Saturday and in liquor stores beginning next Tuesday.
- Future Pixels – Back on tap this Saturday, this double dry-hopped New England-style double IPA shows off a combo of Galaxy, Strata, and Sultana hop flavors. 8.1% ABV. Available in liquor stores starting next Tuesday.
Ifeelcream – The blackberry ale is back and available in 16-ounce cans.
OMNI Brewing Co.
- Double Raspberry Malt Shop – A new milkshake-style IPA.
- Vanilla FAD –A Vanilla version of FAD hazy IPA will be available in liquor stores in 4-packs.
Pantown Brewing Company
- Two – The Saint Cloud brewery celebrates its second anniversary this weekend with an imperial mulberry pie sour.
Pig Ate My Pizza Kitchen + Brewery
- Sultana – Flavors of pineapple, stone fruit, citrus, and resin define this hazy double dry-hopped double IPA that shows off the Sultana hop, while utilizing Altus and Amarillo in the dry-hop step for added tangerine and orange notes. 7.8% ABV.
Meet “Sultana”, a hazy double IPA hopped and double dry-hopped with the heavy pineapple, stone fruit, citrus and light resinous character of the Sultana hop, known previously as Denali. The tangerine, orange notes were bolstered with Altus and Amarillo in the dry hop. 7.8%ABV pic.twitter.com/tPFqR5GHKE
— Pig Ate My Pizza Kitchen + Brewery (@PigAteMyPizza) January 15, 2021
Portage Brewing Company
- Beach Sample – Tropical tones define this beer, made with pineapple, mango, passion fruit, and tangerine purée, vanilla beans, and toasted coconut. 5.5% ABV.
- Coconut Affogato Double Stout – Top Flight selection.
- Other Plans – “A DDH New England IPA made with Galaxy, Sultana, Sabro Cryo, and Citra Cryo hops. Lots of tropical fruit and coconut on the nose for this one, with a viscous oat and malt character to level things out,” the brewery says. 6.3% ABV.
- Pick Provisions – A refreshing, fruity beer made with black currant, blackberry, blueberry purée, and vanilla beans.
Revelation Ale Works
- Talus SMaSH – “A single malt and single hop double IPA featuring a combination Pale Malt from our friends at @vertical.malt and new hop, Talus! With big aromas of grapefruit, citrus, tropical fruits and a hint of pine, this beer comes in at 8.8%,” the brewery says.
- Smoothie Sour – A tropically-inspired kettle sour with strawberry, plum, and pineapple. 5% ABV.
Roets Jordan Brewery Co.
- Brown IPA – Tapped earlier this month in Jordan.
- In A Jiffy – A 6.8% ABV, 45 IBU peanut butter porter.
View this post on Instagram
Schram Haus Brewery
- Raspberry Lemon Hard Seltzer – One of two new hard seltzer flavors on tap at Schram Haus.
- Strawberry Lime Hard Seltzer
Scribbled Lines Brewing
- Fragmentary Delusion – Top Flight selection.
- Duck Duck… Black Currant and Blueberry Gose – A 4.3% ABV, 6 IBU fruited gose.
- Old Fashion – The brewery will tap a limited amount of old fashioned-infused barrel-aged Belgian quad this Saturday.
- Blood Orange Creamsicle – A small batch 5.3% ABV, 17 IBU new beer that tapped on January 7.
Blood orange creamsicle is available for online reservation and crowler pick-up today!https://t.co/chbUGX78tF
— Shakopee BrewHall (@shakobrewhall) January 7, 2021
Sociable Cider Werks
- Pinch Flat Hibiscus Rose – Available from Sociable and also in select liquor stores.
Stacked Deck Brewing Co.
- The Secret Of The Lost Simcoe IPA – Made with both Simcoe and Simcoe Cryo hops, this 7.1% ABV IPA has passion fruit, citrus, and pine character.
Summit Brewing Company
- Twenty-One IPA – A spring seasonal that is also sold in the Mixed Pack IPA sampler, this is a West Coast-style IPA with bright citrus, bold pine, and a complex malt build at its base. “Lightly golden in color with an abundant white, creamy head, it has a big bitter and effervescent mouthfeel with a dry, clean finish,” the brewery says. 7.0% ABV, 70 IBU, and also available in 6- and 12-packs of 12-ounce cans.
- Elderflower IPA – The Summit Mixed Pack IPA Edition is back for 2021, including this returning beer. “Elderflower IPA combines a northwest European flower with south pacific island hops. This unfiltered, full-bodied IPA has light biscuit and bubblegum flavors that are followed with lavender and honeydew notes. Low in bitterness and high in flavor, it finishes smooth and clean,” Summit says. 6.2% ABV, 41 IBU. The pack also includes Sága, Slugfest, and Twenty-One IPA.
View this post on Instagram
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company
- Cake Day – A confetti cake blonde ale. Available in limited supply.
- Peanut Butter Cookie Double Stout – “We took our rich, silky, decadent double stout base and infused it with peanut butter cookies. The result is one seriously tasty dessert beer,” says Tin Whiskers.
- Keller Pils – Previously available only at the taproom, Utepils is canning their Czech-style unfiltered Pilsner. Expect cans in liquor stores beginning next week.
Venn Brewing Company
- East Coast Chronicopia – Chronicopia double IPA reimagined as a New England-style double IPA. 9.0% ABV, 40 IBU. “West Coast hops meet New England haze,” Venn says.
- HTTP Error 404: Seltzer – A new hard seltzer with hibiscus, tangerine, tamarind, and peach. 5.0% ABV.
Waconia Brewing Company
- Mojito Seltzer
- Klondike Porter – Named in honor of St. Paul’s 135th Winter Carnival, this is a German-style porter, influenced by British and American styles and made with English Maris otter malts, German noble-aromatic hops and a classic German ale yeast which, Waldmann says, “[makes] for an outstanding combination of British-ale complexity and German mellowed drinkability.”
Wild Mind Ales
- Shaolin Shadowboxing – A new hazy IPA featuring NZH107 and Huell Melon hops. The beer offers sweet tropical flavors such as passionfruit and guava. 6.5% ABV and also sold in Crowlers.
Wooden Hill Brewing Company
- Spacer – Top Flight selection.
- Hop Stimulus – Forget the $600 check, Wooden Hill has its own stimulus: a red IPA that was dry-hopped with Simcoe and Amarillo hops. Or, as the brewery explains the name, the dry-hopping process stimulates more flavor atop a classic red ale. 6.5% ABV.
Beers just announced
Bent Paddle Brewing Co.
- Extra Baked – Next month, Bent Paddle will release Extra Bakes barrel-aged stout with coconut and chocolate flavors.
- Coastal Sunset v2 – A fruited dessert sour inspired by cherry cheesecake, this new offering imparts flavors of tart cherry with smooth cream cheese, graham cracker, vanilla, and marshmallow notes. 6% ABV. To be sold in 4-packs of 16-ounce cans.
We weren’t planning on introducing this new variety of Coastal Sunset today, but how could we not with this beautiful snowfall that has us longing for a snowshoeing adventure. pic.twitter.com/KaGdkQHIbE
— Humble Forager (@HumbleForager) January 20, 2021
OMNI Brewing Co.
- Trail Mix – A Scotch ale/wee heavy-style beer that will be available at the brewery’s Hibernation dark beer even the weekend of Jan. 29. Trail Mix will also be sold in bottles.
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company
- Space Bot the IPA – A new IPA with peach, passionfruit, lime, grapefruit, and dank pine notes from the use of Galaxy, Citra, and Simcoe hops. Available in liquor stores in two to three weeks.
Town Hall Brewery
- Strawberry Stave – Town Hall announced in a recent Beer Dabbler interview that Barrel-Aged Week will be slightly different in 2021, as Barrel-Aged month. Strawberry Stave will be returning sometime after February 1 as part of the event and will be sold in Crowlers.
View this post on Instagram
Have a new beer we should know about? Send the details to email@example.com for inclusion in Freshies.