Welcome to Beer Dabbler’s Freshies, our weekly rundown on the newest beers hitting the store shelves and taproom coolers in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries.
Crisp, refreshing, spritzy…Call it what you will. The summer beers are back.
There’s hefeweizens, pilsners, pale ales and shandys to be found on tap, and brand new summer seasonal mixed packs to be found in liquor stores. While light body and bright are common descriptors, there is still plenty of variety with notes of smoke, raspberry and all things sour.
What new seasonals are in your fridge?
Each week, the Beer Dabbler team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers that we’re most excited to try.
Drekker Brewing Suggin’ on Chili Dogs – A Vienna lager with Vienna and Munich malts and Saaz hops.
Falling Knife Brewing Co. Convivio – This Italian-style Pilsner is a collaboration with Maplewood Brewing (Chicago, IL), released in honor of Falling Knife’s Open Season parking lot party this Saturday.
Heavy Rotation Brewing Co. Don’t Push – A new dry-hopped Pilsner available in Brooklyn Park. 5.5% ABV, 30 IBU.
Modist Brewing Co. Reaper Cushions – An oak-aged Helles lager to tap on Saturday (and in liquor stores next week).
Nine Mile Brewing Nueve Millas – A collaboration with Dangerous Man and Nixta Tortilleria, this is a crisp corn lager, tapped this week in Bloomington.
New beers available this week
- Riff – Tres Sunshine Ale mixed with all-organic lemon, ginger and basil for a Bang-style shandy. 3.3% ABV.
- Suds – A cream ale made with 1% Kerna Kernza, which will be a recurring theme throughout the new Perennial Percent series, with Suds as its launch beer.
?SUDS is back on tap! Our Cream Ale kicked off our Perennial Percent series which features 1% Kernza in each batch. Goal is modeling recipe development that if adopted by larger brewers could have a massive effect on our collective agricultural impact. What’s in your glass? pic.twitter.com/QuzVgO9htF
— Bang Brewing (@bangbrewing) May 3, 2022
- Sparkleberry – A limited summer seasonal Belgian-style tripel with raspberries. Available for Pride month in Michigan annually, it has seen limited distribution nationwide in recent years.
Sparkleberry is coming back!
First released in 2013 for Kalamazoo Pride and @outfrontkzoo, this Belgian-style Tripel ale brewed with raspberries celebrates the diversity that makes us who we are.
16oz cans will be shipping soon — just in time for Pride month festivities! pic.twitter.com/viQM4gfbh6
— Bell's Brewery (@BellsBrewery) May 11, 2022
- Dimestore Cowgirl – At 4.6% ABV, Bricksworth calls this an American-style Pils, made with Weyermann Extra Pale Pils and Centennial hops.
American Style Pils (4.6%)
Feeling a lil fancy doesn’t always have to be for special occasions. For instance, this sound lil sipper with Weyermann Extra Pale Pils & a kiss of centennial that’s hitting right in the sweet spot. Come on down & get it. pic.twitter.com/6nbKXdHdUq
— bricksworthbeer (@bricksworthbeer) May 10, 2022
- Braaaaaaaains – The newest smoothie sour ale in this series comes with strawberry, passion fruit, apricot, sea salt, lactose, and vanilla. Available today.
- PRRRT – A returning sour ale brewed with Sour Patch Kids, lemon, lime, orange, raspberry, apricot, pink guava, pineapple, and sea salt.
- Slang Du Jour – Apricot, almonds, shortbread cookies, granola, coconut, and vanilla combine for this apricot shortbread cookie-inspired beer.
- Suggin’ on Chili Dogs – Top Flight selection
PRRRTs These Days, amiright??? For beer #3 on Friday's release we're bringing back PRRRTs These Days, a sour brewed with a huge pile of Sour Patch Kids®, Lemon, Lime, Orange, Raspberry, Apricot, Pink Guava, Pineapple, and Sea Salt for a flavor that'll take you pic.twitter.com/wsVWR7G5NI
— Drekker Brewing (@DrekkerBrewing) May 12, 2022
Falling Knife Brewing Co.
Several new (and returning) beers tap at Open Season, a parking lot party at Falling Knife from 1-10pm.
- Convivio – Top Flight selection
- Dark Match – A bottle release this Saturday, this beer is a bourbon barrel-aged imperial stout with hazelnut, coconut, and vanilla.
- Double Dry Hopped Verbal Tip
- Meteor – An Earl Gray Arnold Palmer hard seltzer.
- S’mores Lil Shaky – Stout
- Tropic Hidden Temple
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- A Light In Dark Places When All Other Lights Go Out – “This beer pops with fruity notes, while managing to maintain the crisp, snappy sensibility that only pale ales can truly embody,” Fair State says of this new collaborative beer.
- Hefeweizen – A Bavarian-style wheat beer with notes of banana, clove, and vanilla. 5% ABV.
Heavy Rotation Brewing Co.
- Don’t Push – Top Flight selection
- Farmer Franks – A cream ale back on tap now.
- High Hat – A double IPA, on tap at the brewery now.
- London Calling – An English-style dark mild, tapped in late April.
- Say Less – A sour ale with kiwi, cucumber, and key lime.
- Grapefruit Shandy – The summer seasonal is back, now as a Lodge Pack exclusive, sold along with Summer Shandy, Lemon Haze IPA, and Juicy Peach.
- Juicy Peach – A summer seasonal sour sold in the new Lodge Pack sampler.
- Lemon Haze IPA – Available in the summer Lodge Pack.
- Summer Shandy
Lupulin Brewing Company
- Operation CoHoperation: Elm Creek – The latest collaborative IPA in this series pours at 8.1% ABV and was made with help from the team at Elm Creek Brewing.
Modist Brewing Co.
- Reaper Cushions – Top Flight selection
- Small Hang Glide – A wheat pale ale that taps at Modist on Saturday, then begins hitting liquor stores next Tuesday.
One sip of this beer will send you soaring sky high.
Small Hang Glide will be released in the taproom on 5/14 and will begin gliding into liquor stores on 5/17
— modistbrewing (@ModistBrewing) May 9, 2022
Nine Mile Brewing
- Nueve Millas – Top Flight selection
- Peanut Butter Rodent – Peanut butter and chocolate meet black ale. 8% ABV.
- Puree Moods – A 5% ABV blackberry cream sour ale.
- Hawaii Fi-Do – A 6% ABV, 21 IBU Munich-style Helles lager.
Surly Brewing Co.
- Blast Beat Sultana IPA – A new IPA made with Warrior, Sultana, and Citra hops and sold in the new Hop Stop Mix Pack, along with Furious, and two mix pack exclusives, Idol Worship and Neon Pixels. 6.7% ABV.
- Idol Worship – A double dry-hopped pale ale made with Warrior, Chinook, Cascade, Centennial, and Simcoe hops. 5.6% ABV and sold in the Hop Stop Mix Pack exclusively.
- Lacuna – A seasonal cold IPA that will be available into July, this beer is hop-forward yet crisp and lager-like, the brewery says. 7.2% ABV.
- Neon Pixels – A hazy IPA made with Idaho 7, Strata and Citra hops. 7.2% ABV and sold in the Hop Stop Mix Pack, available now.
- Hazy 1900 – A small batch cider with notes of grapefruit.
Toppling Goliath Brewing Co.
- Assassin – The barrel-aged stout becomes available this weekend at Toppling Goliath. Bottles are sold via a ticketing system.
2022 Assassin LIVE LINK ticket sale starts now!
Missed out the first go-around? Here's a second shot at scoring tix to the '22 Assassin Bottle Release May 13-14!https://t.co/8xts2CFTV9
Limited availability. Tickets sold first come, first served until gone! pic.twitter.com/KbxDmXx4zo
— Toppling Goliath Brewing Company (@TGBrews) April 26, 2022
Union 32 Craft House
- The Land Of Malt and Honey – A German-style Pilsner with a honey malt base and biscuit tones. Tapped last month.
- Manitou: Badlands Spring Ale – A medium-body pale ale that is gold in color with light hopping. “Refreshing and crisp,” the brewery says.
Ursa Minor Brewing
- 35 Southbound – An amber Mexican-style lager.
- Blackberry Shenanigans – “This is our big, bold, blackberry cardamom lactose sour! Perfectly sweet, perfectly tart, and perfectly delicious,” the Duluth brewery says.
- Peaches and Dreams – A sweet and tart lactose sour with peaches. 6.9% ABV.
Waconia Brewing Company
- Mutual Aid Smoked Lager – A light American lager at 3.5% ABV, 8 IBU with a touch of smoke. Brewed in collaboration with local firefighters.
- Women’s Day White IPA – Brewed for Women’s Day, this annual release features the Pink Boots Society hop blend and Barke malt grown in Germany. Explect tropical, citrus, herbal and woody hop notes, the brewery says, plus coriander and sweet orange peel.
Wild Mind Ales
- Anee Cinq – “Anee Cinq is a meticulously selected blend of spontaneously fermented golden ales that have been resting in oak for [about 5 years]. You’ll taste notes of peaches, Fiano grapes, honey comb, root cellar, and oak,” the brewery says.
- Falun – A Dual Citizen collaborative foederraged wild ale with funk, citrus, spruce, and oak notes. 7.6% ABV.
- Persica – “A sweet and tart foeder-aged sour ale that combines fuzzy peach sweetness with a funky, acidic and spontaneous ale to give layers of flavor and lots of depth,” the brewery says. 6% ABV.
Wooden Hill Brewing Co.
- Raspberry Pi – A 7% ABV fruited pale ale with raspberry added to compliment the berry notes of Mosaic hops, plus lactose and vanilla for a smooth body. It’s also paired with Chocolate Crow in a house-made black and tan called The Heartbreaker.
Have a new beer we should know about? Send the details to firstname.lastname@example.org for inclusion in Freshies.