Welcome to Beer Dabbler’s Freshies, our weekly rundown on the newest beers hitting the store shelves and taproom coolers in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries.
Every week a few trends pop out as we compile the list of what’s new. Hefeweizen, and wheat ale in general, is back for the season. Some highlight that banana and clove note, while others complement the soft wheat bill with tart fruits. Other light-bodied beers include light lagers, zippy radlers, and citrus-tinged Caribbean-inspired drinks.
Each week, the Beer Dabbler team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers that we’re most excited to try.
Barrel Theory Beer Company Do It For M Dog – A coffee and chocolate tribute milk stout, brewed in part to raise funds for the Saint Paul Children’s Hospital.
Bemidji Brewing Blood Orange IPA – A blood orange-infused West Coast-style IPA, with puree added after dry-hopping for notes of bright orange and grapefruit zest. 6.5% ABV, 50 IBU.
Forager Brewery The Wake Jumper – A waterskiing-inspired beer made with Cashmere Lupomax, Mosaic Lupomax, and Motueka hops for tangerine and candied papaya flavors.
Nouvelle Brewing Nuvidays – Nouvelle’s American lager blended with lemon and strawberry puree. 3.8% ABV.
Waldmann Brewery Golden Lager – A historic homage to 1870s-era American lager. “Brewed with 2-row American barley, rice and late-addition American cluster hops producing notes of biscuit, spice, and honey,” the Saint Paul brewpub notes. 6.0% ABV.
New beers available this week
22 Northmen Brewing Company
- Sommer Lager – A pink guava lager, on tap at the brewery now, just in time for the 2nd annual MN Craft Lager Fest in Alexandria.
A-Side Public House
- Munich Dark – A new 5.1% ABV beer with malt-forward notes of bread, brewed in collaboration with Waldmann.
Alloy Brewing Company
- Because I Was Inverted Hazy IPA – This hazy IPA pours at 5.6% ABV, 34 IBU and was made with a combination of Solero and HBC-586 hops.
NEW RELEASE: Because I Was Inverted Hazy IPA – 5.6% / 34 IBU
A hazy tribute to one of the greatest movies of all time, this beer is made with Solero and Experimental HBC-586 hops and makes us feel the need… the need for speed.
— Alloy Brewing Company (@AlloyBrewingCo) May 27, 2022
Alternative Roots Farm
- Hazy 1900 – “This hazy cider was crafted using traditional techniques with some of the first and oldest Minnesota named apple varieties. This batch was harvested in a drought year, creating a complex full-bodied hazy cider with refreshing hints of citrus,” Alternative Roots says. 7.6% ABV.
Back Shed Brewing Company
- Rap Around – Top Flight selection
- Three Day Vacay – Tapped in May, this new offering gives margarita-like flavors of lime and cherry.
Bad Habit Brewing Co.
- PB Dark Addiction
- Smooshy – A fruity and slight tart sour made with raspberry, blackberry, and blueberry. 8% ABV.
- Stoned in Paradise – Mango milkshake IPA
Bald Man Brewing Co.
- Seasons in the Sun – The German-style hefeweizen is back on tap now. 5.1% ABV with notes of banana and clove.
Barrel Theory Beer Company
- Do It For M Dog – Top Flight selection.
- Spotted Tiger – Strawberry, tangerine, blood orange, and citrus, all in one beer.
Bauhaus Brew Labs
- Short Pants – “At 4.5% ABV, this light, lemony, not-too-sweet treat is finally here to usher in patio season,” Bauhaus says of its annual radler-style release.
Bear Cave Brewing
- Mainstreet Wheat Ale – An American wheat ale with banana and clove notes, pouring at 6.5% ABV, 9 IBU.
- Raspberry P.KE. – A raspberry sour ale.
- Rockaway Beach – Tapped in mid-May, this hazy pale ale has flavors of lime, orange, and papaya. 4.8% ABV, 15 IBU.
- Blood Orange IPA – Top Flight selection.
- Sour Peach – A taproom exclusive fruited sour ale with a “snappy, sweet tart-like finish,” the brewery says.
Bent Paddle Brewing Co.
- Passion Fruit Pilsner – New in the Tropic North Adventure Pack, along with Bent Hop, Venture Pils, and Tropical Hop.
- Tropical Hop – New in the Tropic North Adventure Pack, along with Bent Hop, Venture Pils, and Passion Fruit Pilsner.
- Bent Paddle Light – A new lower-calorie, light lager in a retro can. 4.1% ABV, 8 IBU.
Looking for your perfect summer beer?
Meet Bent Paddle Light, a lower calorie Light Lager that gives a subtle nod to the traditional styles of the past, all while performing a Light Show of Flavor for your taste buds to enjoy.
IBU: 8 pic.twitter.com/q0d612YVjR
— bentpaddlebeer (@bentpaddlebeer) May 29, 2022
- Wavy Boats – An 8.0% ABV New England-style double IPA hopped with Citra and Citra Cyro.
Double NEIPA (8.0%)
Ahoy Sailor! Be careful out there… The waters are choppy… and positively stuffed to the gills with Citra & Citra Cryo…. And Adventure… And Sharks… Lots of Sharks???
On tap & in crowlers now. pic.twitter.com/kFJGDF90WX
— bricksworthbeer (@bricksworthbeer) May 27, 2022
Dual Citizen Brewing Company
- Juice Tiger – Back for summer, this beer is made with key lime, pineapple, and kiwi and is also on tap at CHS Field for Saints games.
- Sol – A semi-sweet cider with added mango, carrot, and key lime for a juicy and earthy experience.
Earth Rider Brewery
- Tap Shack – A Caribbean-style lager with lime zest.
Chores are done, time for a beer.
TAP SHACK CARIBBEAN STYLE LAGER WITH LIME ZEST
Light, crisp and refreshing, Tap Shack Caribbean Lager is similar to beers enjoyed on the islands of the Caribbean. Brewed with a touch of lime zest, made for hot summer days.#holdfast pic.twitter.com/UOxKqCHGJT
— Earth Rider Brewery (@EarthRiderBeer) June 1, 2022
Eastlake Craft Brewery
- Dank Aaron – A double IPA with pine-heavy flavors, plus citrus, resin, and earthy notes, at 9% ABV, 100 IBU, and now sold in 4-packs.
Fair State Cooperative
- Corporate Sellout Move – Flavors of pineapple, lemon, and lime pith, plus notes of pine and dark marmalade come together in this new 6.3% ABV hazy IPA collaboration with Cloudburst Brewing.
- The Wake Jumper – Top Flight selection
Fulton Brewing Co.
- Session Witbier – Tapped on Wednesday in a nod to The Brewery Running Series’ 10th anniversary.
- Mama Bravo – A Pizza Luce exclusive made with Bravo hops, imparting citrus and pine-like flavors.
Great Lakes Brewing Co.
- Crushworthy Collection – A 12-can mixed pack featuring four variations of the lo-cal citrus wheat ale: Grapefruit, Lemon and Lime, Orange and Lemon, Watermelon.
- Ruby’s Revenge – The imperial grapefruit IPA hits the market next week, beginning on June 6.
- Tidal Fury – An imperial hazy IPA with passion fruit, mango, and citrus flavors.
Hop growers, beware! Ruby’s Revenge Imperial Grapefruit IPA is available now at the @GLBCbrewpub gift shop! Find it throughout our distribution footprint beginning June 6.
— GreatLakesBrewingCo. (@GLBC_Cleveland) May 28, 2022
Heavy Rotation Brewing Co.
- Soundcheck – A dry saison with fruity and pepper character.
Check, check, check…
Is this thing on?
“Soundcheck” Saison brings its dry, peppery and fruity characteristics to our tap list for the first time today.
Stop by and check it out.
Happy Hour 4-6 pic.twitter.com/aX09BHkz4J
— heavyrotationbrewing (@heavyrotationBP) June 1, 2022
Hop & Barrel Brewing Company – Hudson
- Lemonbreaker – A true shandy made from a blend of craft lager and craft soda, loaded up with sweet and subtly sour lemon flavors, the brewery says. 3.7% ABV.
- Tessemanc – A non-alcoholic hop tea blend of Snecha green tea and Mosaic hops with no sugar or alcohol.
- Tropical Treat – Beer slushies that come in flavors of passion fruit, strawberry, peach, and orange.
Lake Monster Brewing
- Pog Sour – “Starting with a wheat ale base and adding fruit puree. The complex tropical fruit flavor is tart, juicy, and just a little sweet,” the brewery says.
- Zanetti’s Premium Pils – “Our take on the Italian-style craft brewed Pilsner. These brews cross influences from traditional German Pilsner and dry-hopped ales to create a flavorful, aromatic, refreshing lager. Dry hopped and unfiltered, this is bolder than a standard Pils but still extremely drinkable,” the brewery says.
The P.O.G Sour has returned just in time for the unofficial start of summer! Starting with a wheat ale base and adding fruit puree. The complex tropical fruit flavor is tart, juicy, and just a little sweet. Best enjoyed with sunshine! Stop by for a pour or a crowler to go. pic.twitter.com/FXPwKmrm2I
— Lake Monster Brewing (@LakeMonsterBrew) May 30, 2022
Lupulin Brewing Company
- Strawberry Mint Hypezig – A 5% ABV, 5 IBU gose with strawberry, lemon, and spearmint.
Modist Brewing Co.
- Between the Times – Available in bottles at 9 am on Saturday, this is a cinnamon hazelnut imperial porter. Also available on draft.
??????? ??? ?????
Cinnamon Hazelnut Imperial Porter brewed w/ Maris Otter, brown malt, Heritage crystal malt & chocolate malts conditioned on Ceylon cinnamon, Hazelnuts & Ghana cocoa nibs
Bottles 6/4 9 am
Taproom 6/4 12 am
— modistbrewing (@ModistBrewing) May 30, 2022
- Nuvidays – Top Flight selection
- Cake Baker Snake – A sour ale with raspberry, lemon, coffee, and almond. 5% ABV.
OMNI Brewing Co.
- Bug Zapper – “Gold in color with strong aromatics of melon, papaya, pineapple, malty sweetness, and alcohol. This beer is a bit of a sneaky heavy-hitter with flavors of raisins, dried apricots, sweet and stone fruits balanced nicely with a subtly malty backbone and a touch of alcohol warmth,” the brewery says of its new triple IPA. 10.9% ABV.
?New Beer Alert ?
? Bug Zapper ?
Style: Triple IPA
ABV: 10.9% pic.twitter.com/TMkWSnS66V
— OMNI Brewing Co. (@OMNIBrewing) June 1, 2022
- Law Dawg – A 6% ABV, 41 IBU SMaSH ale, in part raising funds for police K9 field trials.
Pryes Brewing Co.
- Italian Ice – A sweet and sour smoothie ale made with raspberry, lime, and vanilla. Available beginning Saturday, on draft and in liquor stores too.
Evoking memories of ice cold cups of Italian Ice, this sweet and sour smoothie is filled to the brim with raspberry, lime, and smooth vanilla, welcoming hot days ahead.
Italian Ice is hitting liquor stores THIS WEEK, and will be available at the Pryes taproom this Saturday 6/4. pic.twitter.com/L4AUtZz3CB
— Pryes Brewing Co. (@PryesBrewing) May 31, 2022
— Schell's Brewery (@SchellsBrewery) May 31, 2022
- Hollywood Hill – “This traditional German beer has the distinct flavors of hefeweizen yeast, producing strong esters of banana and clove. The grain bill is predominately made up of malted wheat which gives the style its natural hazy appearance and slightly sweet finish,” the brewery says. 4.9% ABV.
- Sour Millie – A fruited sour with peach and plum.
Urban Forage Winery & Cider House
After winning medals in the International Cider and Perry Competition, the cider house is pouring all four award-winners for a limited time:
- Blackcurrant Cider – Soon to be sold, in-house, in 12-ounce bottles.
- Honey Toast Cider
- Maple and Oak Cider
- Pear Cider – Soon to sold, in-house, in 12-ounce bottles.
- Blackcurrant Seltzer Slushie – The first of the summer’s rotating alcoholic slushie flavors.
Venn Brewing Company
- Chronicopia – The dank West Coast-style double IPA is back on tap now.
- Arnie Palmer Wheat – Back on tap now.
Arnie Palmer Wheat is back!
We scored a hole in one with this batch.⛳️ pic.twitter.com/ixo0QelwTA
— Venn Brewing (@vennbrewing) May 31, 2022
Wabasha Brewing Co.
- Sir Doryu – A new English-style dark mild ale.
— Wabasha Brewing Company (@wabashabrewery) May 18, 2022
- Kellerbier – A floral, pale golden lager, seasonally replacing Pilsener on tap at Waldmann. 5.4% ABV.
- Golden Lager – Top Flight selection.
Wicked Wort Brewing Co.
- Farmer Jones Cream Ale – “Featuring flaked maize, flaked wheat, flaked oats, and flaked barley direct from the farmland. We utilize Styrian Golding hops to create an old-school floral finish. This beer is dry, easy-drinking, and a slammer”, the brewery says.
Wild Mind Ales
- Punk Sleeves – A hazy pale ale with flavors of papaya, lemon meringue, and citrus, the brewery says. 5.3% ABV.
- Vision Board – A smoothie sour inspired by rainbow sherbert, made with real fruit and marshmallow. Sweet, tangy, and 6.2% ABV.
Have a new beer we should know about? Send the details to email@example.com for inclusion in Freshies.
Correction: Bad Weather’s Hefeweizen is still in the works and not yet available as previously stated.