Welcome to Beer Dabbler’s Freshies, our weekly rundown on the newest beers hitting the store shelves and taproom coolers in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries.
At this point, most of the green beer kegs have tapped. Taking their place we get a variety of bright, floral, and colorful kettle sours and IPAs that showcase the myriad ways in which hops can be paired, extracted, boiled, and dosed while making beer.
Trends of the week come largely in series offerings: kettle sours that pour bright like spring flowers, and also series India pale ales brewed to show off how the type and method of adding hops results in new flavors. While we still see SMaSH beers across the state, many breweries are now focusing on how hop blends can lead to new experiences from batch to batch. And, for those who are still struggling with Daylight Saving Time, we have a few coffee-added beers for an extra pick-me-up.
Whether you’re out on the patio, in the backyard, or braving the relaxed occupancy limits elsewhere, there’s a lot of variety in this week’s edition of Freshies.
Each week, the Beer Dabbler team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers that we’re most excited to try.
Bricksworth Beer Copacabana – A new tropical-style Berliner Weisse beer with passion fruit, pineapple, pink guava, and tangerine. 4.1% ABV.
Cuyuna The Wild Goat – A German-style bock beer with wild rice for a nutty touch. A limited release.
Dual Citizen Workin’ 9 to Pie – Brewed in celebration of International Women’s Day, this new sour ale with marshmallow, graham cracker, guava, lime, and T. Rex cookies taps on Saturday with a special happy hour event.
Insight Brewing Heavy Hops – On Friday, Insight taps four brand new IPAs showing off the skills of their new head brewer. The lineup, as listed on social media, is Simcoe, Simcoe Cryo, Sabro, Columbus hops; Cashmere, Idaho 7 Cryo, Idaho 7, Citra hops; Ekuanot, Mosaic Cryo, Mosaic, Amarillo hops; and Mosaic, Simcoe, Citra, El Dorado hops.
Rustech Royal Bean – A pineapple vanilla sour ale from the brewery in Monticello.
New beers available this week
608 Brewing Company
- 608 Premium Lager – Now on tap, this is a Helles-style lager with subtle malt and a refreshing finish. 5% ABV.
- Inquiring Minds: Columbus, Galaxy, BRU-1 – A new release in 608’s new IPA series, “This combination creates aromas of tangerine and longbottom leaf with flavors of pineapple and viognier,” the La Crosse brewery says.
- Devil Net – Available at the brewery, this is a cream porter with cold brew coffee for rich, complex flavors with a dark chocolate familiarity. “It’s silky smooth with just the right balance of that coffee and cream goodness,” 612 says.
Attn: Coffee Lovers
We’re pouring a NEW BREW
Devil Net is the newest taproom addition. A delightfully sinful cold brew coffee & cream porter w/ a rich, complex flavor & a touch of dark chocolate charm. It’s silky smooth with just the right balance of that coffee & cream goodness. pic.twitter.com/TLWubR7hRw
— 612Brew (@612Brew) March 14, 2021
Alloy Brewing Company
- Midnight Snack Chocolate Stout – “Brewed by combining the grains and malts from some of the world’s best chocolatiers like Belgium, Germany, and the UK, and then adding 12 pounds of cocoa nibs to the mix, the resulting beer is a well-balanced delight,” Alloy says of this milk stout. It’s the featured beer at their “St Patrick’s Day Party on Saturday, including three infusions:
- 12 pm – Watermelon Mint
- 3 pm – Salted Caramel
- 6 pm – Raspberry
- Neon Green Apple Seltzer – A bright in color green apple seltzer with an equally bright flavor, the brewery says. 5.6% ABV.
- Sucker Punch – A 6.5% ABV, 67 IBU new offering in Arbeiter’s IPL series where each version showcases a new hop variety. This batch is dry-hopped with Citiva, a new hop blend with citrus-lime, tropical fruit, and stone fruit flavors that is paired with a nutty, sweet malt bill for balance.
- Drippy Zwickel – Brand new today, this 6.9% ABV, 57 IBU offering is described as, “The latest hoppy brainstorm from our brewer whose intentions were to combine properties of both a mellow and rich Kellerbier with the punchy hop profile of a hazy IPA. The result is big and assertive, sweet and hoppy lager.” Expect notes of mandarin orange, tangerine, grapefruit, muskmelon, and clean dankness.
Avery Brewing Co.
- Paws & Claws – A limited offering dank and hoppy IPA.
Bad Weather Brewing Company
- Hopcromancer – The flagship IPA will soon be available in 12-packs of 12-ounce cans.
Coming soon!! We are planning to launch 12-packs of Hopcromancer next month!
— Bad Weather Brewing (@BadWeatherBrew) March 16, 2021
Barley John’s Brew Pub
- Anniversary Red Ale – The New Brighton brewpub celebrates 21 years of business this week with the release of this anniversary red ale.
Bent Paddle Brewing Co.
- Wilderness Tuxedo: Raspberry Lemonade – As described by Bent Paddle, the latest in their kettle sour series is a bright pink and slightly hazy Berliner Weisse beer where “Hop and malt flavors are muted from the presence of red raspberry balanced out with a nice pop of lemon. The acidity is light, but comes through in a way that reminds one of lemonade,” 4.4%, 5 IBU.
- Barrel Aged In the Pocket – A collaboration with Lua Brewing of Des Moines, Iowa, this is an imperial stout aged in Heaven Hill bourbon barrels with added coffee, cinnamon, and roasted hazelnuts.
Hey folks! This is a friendly reminder that our collab with our buddies @luabrewing “BA IN THE POCKET”, our Heaven Hill Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout with Coffee, Cinnamon & House Roasted Hazelnuts is going on sale at 11:00AM CST today on our Square Site (Read: Almost Now). pic.twitter.com/1LvO21H7ZQ
— BlackStack Brewing (@BlackStackBrew) March 14, 2021
Bobbing Bobber Brewing Company
- 10,000 Casts – A limited imperial cream ale was released in 750-milliliter bottles earlier this month.
Boom Island Brewing Company
- Over the Moon – A smooth milk stout with a velvet-like body and hints of roasted coffee and chocolate.
- Copacabana – Top Flight selection.
- Match.com – Yes, that’s the name of beer number one in a new dual-hop series of beers designed to show off how the different varieties can be paired. Made with Citra and Mosaic hops, this is a double IPA that pours at 8.6% ABV.
Broken Clock Brewing Cooperative
- Indoorsy Type – “This hopped-up IPA has strong flavors of grapefruit, stone fruit, and tropical berries. Crystal malts in this beer add body and depth with a pleasant malty mouthfeel,” the brewery says, adding that it finishes “crisp and dank.”
- Shattered Ceiling – Released for International Women’s Day last week in limited supply, this infused black ale begins with Fade to Black IPA but adds Morita peppers and sweetened, condensed milk. A portion of the proceeds goes to charity.
Castle Danger Brewery
- Witty in Pink – A Pilot Series Belian wit-style beer with added sumac and hibiscus. Pink in color, the beer carries raspberry, cherry, lemon, and floral notes.
Who's ready for another Pilot Series brew?
Today we tapped Witty in Pink, our play on a Belgian Wit. We added Sumac & Hibiscus to give it a bright pink color. Hints of raspberry and cherry with aromas of lemon and florals make it the perfect springtime sipper! ☀️ pic.twitter.com/B1Y6xQyx4G
— Castle Danger Brewer (@cdangerbrewer) March 10, 2021
Chaotic Good Brewing Company
- Dora’s Wit Belgian Style Wheat – Available in limited supply from the brewery and via Kasson Liquor Store.
- Molly’s Favorite Oatmeal Stout – Available in limited supply from the brewery and via Kasson Liquor Store.
- The Stellar Series – A new kettle sour series, kicking things off with a pomegranate and pink guava combo.
Copper Trail Brewing Co.
- Smooth Hoperator – “Although it has a malty West Coast grain bill, it has some fun pineapple and mango east coast hop character,” the brewery says of this 9.4% ABV, 45 IBU double IPA that it warns drinks much smoother than its ABV suggests. On draft and in 12-ounce cans.
- Wanna Bock – A true-to-style spring Maibock that is light and sweet with “some slightly peppery hop presence,” the brewery says. 7.1% ABV, 26 IBU. On draft and in 12-ounce cans.
Cuyuna Brewing Co.
- The Wild Goat – Top Flight selection.
- Blangoberry – “This berry packs a punch with fruity flavors of blackberry and mango to start topped off with a creamy taste of (dairy-free) soft serve,” the brewery says.
- Reaper – Back on tap at the brewery now.
- Sourbet – A pastry sour with lemon sorbet and lemon bar-like flavors.
Drastic Measures Brewing
- Excessive Sweating – A dessert-inspired cherry cheesecake pastry sour that pours at 5.6% ABV.
- Hittin’ Licks – A smoothie-style sour ale with dragon fruit and passion fruit.
- Braaaaaaaains!!! – A smoothie-style ale with blueberry, plum, cherry, sea salt, lactose, and vanilla. Tart, sweet, and berry-forward, the brewery says.
- Chonk Sundae Sours: Mango Marshmallow – Just look at the name. 7.2% ABV and available today.
- Superfreak – A double dry-hopped variant of Freak Parade double IPA. “It’s a pillowy soft blast of peach gummies and melon,” Drekker explains. 8.2% ABV.
Dual Citizen Brewing Company
- Workin’ 9 to Pie – Top Flight selection.
- Blueberry Maple Cider – Made with Minnesota maple syrup from Sawtooth Mountain Maple Syrup Company, this cider is currently back on tap as of early March.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- Juice Is An All Day Beverage – An 8.4% ABV double dry-hopped double IPA with malted oats and wheat for a soft, hazy body. It’s a mixed citrus juice smoothie, Fair State says, with added grapefruit, lime, and vanilla.
Fergus Brewing Co.
- Key Lime Pie Smoothie Sour – A new sour ale made with key lime, cinnamon, and lactose. 4.0% ABV.
Firestone Walker Brewing Company
- Double Mind Haze – Taking the next logical step from the success of Mind Haze IPA, a new double IPA hits the market with more intense flavors and a bigger hop base courtesy of Azacca, Cashmere, Mosaic, Strata, Sabro, Idaho Gem, Idaho 7, and Motueka.
- Freehouse 99 – A new 99-calorie beer, just in time for patio season.
- DDH It Was All A Dream – “Double the Citra. Double the El Dorado. Double the juicy, mouth-watering experience,” HeadFlyer says of this extra hoppy It Was All A Dream. Tapping on Saturday.
- Orange Cream Ale – Inspired by the orange creamsicle, this new beer is brewed with sunny days on the patio in mind.
- Scoop: Peach-Apricot Smoothie Sour – A smoothie sour ale with a creamy texture and a mix of fruit-derived tartness and sweetness. In Crowlers only.
- Wild Wild West Coast IPA – “Smooth caramel finish on this Double West Coast IPA with just a hint of bitterness and a soft mouthfeel,” the brewery says of this IPA made with classic Centennial and Chinook hops.
- Conifer Crush – A dank and piney IPA built around Ekuanot and Simcoe hops. 7% ABV, 76 IBU.
- Heavy Hops – Top Flight selection.
Invictus Brewing Co.
- Pot o’ Gold Kolsch
It may be snowing outside, but the pot o' gold just arrived in the taproom now through St. Patty's Day 🍀 the Pot o' Gold Kolsch is on tap🍻 pic.twitter.com/nbw5JbyqPD
— InvictusBrewingCo (@InvictusBrewCo) March 15, 2021
Lake Monster Brewing
- Double Dry-Hopped Double Juicy IPA – While the name gives it away, this is an 8.5% ABV hop-bomb with fruit-forward flavors and moderate bitterness from a blend of Cryo Mosaic, Cryo Amarillo, Citra, and Idaho 7 hops.
Lakeville Brewing Co.
- German Logger – “Aromatics of toasty bread, a touch of stone fruit, and a whiff of chocolate greet you as you lift this hearty dunkel. Full-flavored barley malts chop at your tastebuds with caramel sweetness and a layer of spice that clears the way for another swing,” the brewery says. 6.2% ABV, 21 IBU.
Lupulin Brewing Company
- Full Spectrum Mosaic – A 6% ABV IPA made with a variety of Mosaic hop types: T90 Pellets, Cryo, CO2 extract, INCOGNITO, and terpene oils.
- Dortmunder – A GABF gold medal-winning lager with a balance of bready malt and German hops. 5.5% ABV, 25 IBU.
Modist Brewing Co.
- Day of Another Dream – A West Coast-style take on Dreamway, this new twist taps on Saturday at the North Loop brewery and hits liquor stores next week.
- Innocence & Decadence – A red velvet cake-inspired imperial red that was brewed with cocoa nibs, milk sugar, cream cheese, and vanilla. In limited bottles and also on draft.
- Double Raspberry Endlayer – Endlayer Gose is back, fruited with over 4,000 pounds of raspberries. On tap this Saturday and heading to liquor stores next Tuesday.
Close your eyes. Imagine Dreamyard but West Coast. Open your eyes.
Introducing Day of Another Dream, West Coast IPA brewed w/ hopped & dry-hopped w/ Citra, Cryo Citra & Sultana.
Shout out to @wzzwnshp for creating dope labels.
— modistbrewing (@ModistBrewing) March 16, 2021
Odell Brewing Co.
- Kindling – Odell adds a year-round golden ale to its lineup, featuring crisp malt flavors and subtle citrus. The beer will also serve to raise funds as part of the brewery’s charitable program. 5% ABV.
Oskar Blues Brewery
- Guava Rodeo Sour Ale – A guava and tangerine beer sold in 12-ounce/6-packs nationwide.
- Royal Bean – Top Flight selection.
- Solo Act – A Mosaic IPA that pours at 6.5% ABV, 75 IBU.
Spilled Grain Brewhouse
- Resting Beach Face – A hazy ale with added coconut, pineapple, and lactose to give it a piña colada makeover. 5.5% ABV, 50 IBU.
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company
- Coconut Cream Pie Pastry Sour – On tap and in Crowlers as of this Tuesday.
- Fudge Brownie Orange Dream State – On tap and in Crowlers as of this Tuesday.
- DDH Oat Cream Kveik Hazy IPA – Newly tapped.
- TWB-1000 – Limited to the brewery for draft and Crowlers (for now), this is a big and hazy triple IPA.
Cans aren't hitting liquor stores for a couple weeks yet, but you can come try TWB-1000, a TRIPLE DRY-HOPPED beast of a Hazy IPA, on tap now!
— Tin Whiskers Brewery (@TinWhiskersBrew) March 14, 2021
- Little Things – A dark mild ale that Torg says is creamy and nutty with toasted toffee and molasses notes.
Remember to enjoy the little things in life, like Torg's new "Little Things" dark mild. Creamy session ale with nutty notes of toasted toffee and molasses thanks to the addition of Lyle's Black Treacle in the boil. Stop by today for a pint. Cheers! pic.twitter.com/4DkrHtjzdG
— Torg Brewery (@TorgBrewery) March 14, 2021
Waconia Brewing Company
- Laketown Brown
Wild Mind Ales
- Double Depth Charge: Bourbon Barrel-aged Coffee Beans – An imperial stout blended with house-aged bourbon barrel coffee bean, the brewery says to expect toasted oak with subtle bourbon on this 11% ABV sipper.
- Double Depth Charge: Coffee Beans – This variant of Double Depth Charge imperial stout features multiple coffee bean varieties that make for a rich, bold, and smooth beer with blueberry and lemon notes. 11% ABV.
- Double Depth Charge: Vietnamese – The third variant this week is an 11% ABV silky imperial stout with coffee beans, chocolate, vanilla, and condensed milk extract.
Beers just announced
3 Floyds Brewing
- Dreadnaught – The imperial IPA returns soon in all 3 Floyds markets.
Castle Danger Brewery
- Pink Boots DIPA – Brewed in partnership with Barley’s Angels of Duluth-Superior for International Women’s Day, a new double IPA will tap soon. It will be taproom-exclusive and raise funds toward Pink Boots.
We are proud to have women in almost every department at our brewery. 💪 Next week, we are partnering with @BarleysAngelsDS to brew a Pink Boots DIPA. Proceeds of this beer will go to @pinkbootsbeer and will pour exclusively at our taproom. #internationalwomensday #womeninbeer pic.twitter.com/6RY9GWbudG
— Castle Danger Brewer (@cdangerbrewer) March 8, 2021
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- Freak Gasoline Fight Accident – A blend of barrel-aged stouts made in collaboration with BlackStack. The beer was conditioned on cocoa nibs, vanilla beans, lactose, cold brew, and “just a wee hint of orange.” It releases to coop members next week and the public soon after.
Lake Monster Brewing
- Pomegranate Hibiscus Sour Ale – Pink and fruity and coming next month, Lake Monster says in its latest newsletter.
Have a new beer we should know about? Send the details to email@example.com for inclusion in Freshies.