Welcome to Beer Dabbler’s Freshies, our weekly rundown on the newest beers hitting the store shelves and taproom coolers in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries.
The Women’s Final Four is in town, baseball season will soon be here and the beers are light, bright, crispy and colorful.
Besides the usual East Coast/West Coast IPA battles, the tap lines this week have Mexican-style lagers, German-style Pilsners, plus floral and fruity bursts of hibiscus, blueberry and more. On the darker side, Waldmann has recreated a historic black ale and there are still plenty of traditional bocks on tap as an in-between, which is especially fitting as most of the state wonders where they just put their winter coats.
Each week, the Beer Dabbler team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers that we’re most excited to try.
Castle Danger Brewery Plum Crazy Wit – A taproom exclusive, “This fruited wit is slightly sweet with light, grainy, spicy aromatics and a bit of tartness from the plum,” the brewery says.
Dangerous Man Brewing Company Native Land Hazy IPA – A collaborative release in collaboration with Bow & Arrow Brewing, “This is a national collab to acknowledge the contributions and history of Native American people in the US,” the brewery says. Proceeds will donated.
Rapids Brewing Co. Resting Beet Face – Brewed on International Women’s Day, this experimental beer was made with orange peel, coriander, and honey, plus post-fermentation additions of hibiscus, pineapple, cherry, and beet.
Surly Brewing Co. Dribble Drabble – A draft only pale ale brewed for the Women’s Final Four, hosted in Minneapolis this year. Available at select bars and restaurants, this is a 5% ABV pale ale with citrus notes. It will not be tapped at the brewery itself.
Waldmann Brewery Kleinostheimer Kaffeebier – Tapped on Monday, this is a black ale inspired by an 1899 recipe found in Kleinostheim, Germany in northwestern Bavaria. Served on nitro, the brewery call it “a completely unique, genre- (and admittedly Reinheitsgebot-) bending Bavarian black ale with a creamy-smooth body, a ton of roast and coffee flavor, and a hint of chocolate and caramel aromas.”
New beers available this week
- Foggy Morning Haze – Hazy IPA
- Lemondrop Pale Ale – A 6.7% ABV pale ale with Lemondrop hops taking the spotlight.
- Wood Splitter IPA – West Coast-style IPA
Have you tried our Lemondrop Pale Ale?! The subtle lemon flavor shines through purely from the lemon drop hops. ABV 6.7%
We also have Grunge Unplugged here from 4 pm to 6 pm for Teacher Happy Hour. Teachers and school staff get BOGO on their first beer. pic.twitter.com/2bc1HzkEpi
— 10K Brewing (@10kbrewing) March 25, 2022
Alloy Brewing Company
- Neon Pixy Dip RazzApple – A light and bright seltzer with blue raspberry and green apple. 6.5% ABV.
Bad Weather Brewing Company
- Galactic Tide Rye Porter – Chocolate rye and roast malt collide in this porter, served on nitro at the taproom.
- Saison D’ Peche – On tap now, this is a Brettanomyces barrel-aged, French-style saison aged on peaches. Also sold in bottles.
Saison D' Peche is back pouring on the high pressure line today at the taproom.
This is a Brettanomyces Barrel Aged French Saison Aged on Peaches. The bottles are naturally conditioned.
Yeast – French Saison
Wild Yeast – Brettanomyces Lambicus
Barrel – Tawny Port pic.twitter.com/gwaCjrQxWY
— Bad Weather Brewing (@BadWeatherBrew) March 27, 2022
Castle Danger Brewery
- Plum Crazy Wit – Top Flight selection
Dangerous Man Brewing Company
- Native Land Hazy IPA – Top Flight selection
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- SuperClear – A German-style Pilsner with spritzy, bright, lemon, and dry character. 4.5% ABV and also sold in liquor stores.
Grain Belt Beer
- BLU – The blueberry lager is back.
— Grain Belt Beer (@GrainBeltBeer) March 29, 2022
- Coastal Sunshine v6 – The latest breakfast sour from Forager’s production offshoot is a peach cobbler-inspired ale with peach, pineapple, pecans, vanilla, and maple syrup. 6% ABV.
Sometimes you just can't decide between breakfast, dessert, and beer so why not enjoy all three at the same time! pic.twitter.com/rbj43ojZqZ
— Humble Forager (@HumbleForager) March 28, 2022
- Conifer Crush – Back on tap and in cans, this IPA features a slightly sweet malt bill with dank and sticky resin notes – hence the piney name. 7% ABV, 76 IBU.
Lakes & Legends Brewing Company
- Alpenglow Hazy IPA – Big pineapple and bright tangerine flavors set the tone in this soft-bodied IPA.
Little Thistle Brewery
- StrataGalactica DDH Hazy Double IPA – Flavors of passion fruit, peach, and tangerine are present in this double IPA.
Lost Sanity Brewing
- Tetraphobia – An oak-aged Belgian-style quad that releases tomorrow, April 2.
- Sweedey Gonzalez – Mexican-style lager
Nine Mile Brewing
- 3 Bears Cream Ale – Recently tapped in Bloomington.
- Oatmeal Stout – “Full of balanced roast, baker’s chocolate, and slight coffee tones,” the brewery says.
- Sea Salt Dark Chocolate Milk Stout – Dark chocolate sets the tone along with sweet and roasty notes and a touch of salinity, the brewery says.
????NEW BEER ALERT ????
3 Bears Cream Ale ????????????
Not too bitter, not too light, you'll find this classic American Cream Ale to be just right when you visit our den.#brewery #brew #cheers #instabeer #hellopuppy #taproom #creamale pic.twitter.com/8sEWi0nI58
— 9 Mile Brewing (@9milebrewing) March 23, 2022
Northbound Smokehouse & Brewpub
- Wheat IPA – A new, limited IPA.
- Somos Extremos – A 6.5% ABV coffee golden ale. https://www.instagram.com/p/CbftgfPrgbx/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
Pantown Brewing Company
- Reveille – A grapefruit wheat ale tapped this Wednesday.
- The Dog Ate My Homework – A blackberry fruited sour ale. 4.5% ABV, 37 IBU.
Portage Brewing Co.
- Nitro Stout – “An experimental take on a traditional stout recipe,” the brewery says, made with Minnesota grown oats and honey with notes of oat milk, sweet honey, and milk chocolate.
Rapids Brewing Co.
- Oyster Stout – Eight different malts, one sweet stout recipe, and oysters too. “Think, sweetened espresso with a smooth, dark, full body,” the brewery says of this small batch, recently tapped, before adding, “This pairs swimmingly well with the delicate, briny, salt component from the splash of brine, and the pound of oyster shells steeped in the boil.” 8.4% ABV
- Resting Beet Face – Top Flight selection
Reads Landing Brewing Co.
- Big Iron IPA Back on tap, “This IPA starts with a Pilsner and pale ale malt base to create a lighter body and showcase the hops which feature nearly 4 pounds per barrel of Simcoe, Amarillo and CTZ,” the brewery says. West Coast in style and 101 IBU.
- Brewer’s Creek Oatmeal Stout – A British-style smooth and slightly sweet stout with rich roasted malt and nutty character. Served on nitro.
Red Wing Brewery
- Pepie’s Porter – A sweet, robust porter tapped in early March.
- Kleine Hunde – A tart and tangy Berliner Weisse with subtle strawberry notes.
Roets Jordan Brewery
- Bearded Lad
- Berry Sour with Hibiscus
- Ms. Galena – “Introducing our new apricot plum sour, a kettle sour flavored with real apricot and plum purees. Tart and fruity, but still crisp and dry,” the brewery says.
Rustech Brewing Co.
- Citrusworks Blonde Ale – A light-bodied blonde ale with Lemondrop and Centennial hops.
Schram Haus Brewery
- The Goat – “The Goat has a rich maltiness to it with a sweet finish and comes in at 7% ABV,” the brewery explains. Tapped in March.
Surly Brewing Co.
- Dribble Drabble –Top Flight selection
- Wildman Hoppy Wheat – On tap today, April 1. No joke.
Wabasha Brewing Co.
- Bonnet Amber – Back on tap as of last week at the brewery.
- Lager Del Sol – An unfiltered Mexican-style lager that is slightly sweet with hints of lime, the brewery says. 4.5% ABV, 14 IBU.
???? New Beer Alert ????
Lager Del Sol ☀️
Unfiltered Mexican Style Lager
4.5% ABV 14 IBU
Hints of lime, slightly sweet, fully thirst quenching.
— WabashaBrewing.eth (@wabashabrewery) March 25, 2022
Waconia Brewing Company
- Caribbean Sour
- Cerveza del Lago – On tap beginning today.
- Kleinostheimer Kaffeebier – Top Flight selection
Wooden Ship Brewing Company
- Native Land – Another beer in the hazy IPA national collaboration series meant to raise awareness. 6.4% ABV with a portion of proceeds to be donated.
- Wander – “This no fuss pale ale features Citra – a hop known for its bright characteristics, peach/citrus vibes, a hint of pine,” the brewery says.
- Maibock – An amber-hued beer with notes of honey, caramel, and dark fruits, the brewery says. 8.3% ABV.
Have a new beer we should know about? Send the details to firstname.lastname@example.org for inclusion in Freshies.