Welcome to Beer Dabbler’s Freshies, our weekly rundown on the newest beers hitting the store shelves and taproom coolers in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries.
From cross-town to cross-country beer collaborations, craft beer continues to innovate and bring the brewing community together. This week, we have beers brewed between a Minneapolis-based brewery and coffee roaster, and collabs with out-of-state breweries.
The sweet tooth-tastes of Valentine’s Day continues to inspire many new beers this week, influenced by a range of desserts, cocktails, and even hard candy. Two intriguing honey cream ales hit the market, plus a smoothie cider, hop-heavy triple IPAs, and more traditional Czech, German, and other European-influenced beers.
Each week, the Beer Dabbler team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers that we’re most excited to try.
22 Northmen Techno Viking – A West Coast-style IPA with pine resin, citrus, and fruity notes along with an “old school,” early Aughts malt-bill. 7.2% ABV.
Dual Citizen Mayhem and Mischief – An American-style barleywine that pours amber in color with notes of overripe stone fruit, malty-dominance, and a hoppy finish. Sold in 750-milliliter bottles.
Torg Three Dogs & A Squirrel – A London-style ESB, “Torg’s Three Dogs is a golden pint of lightly toasty sweet English malt well balanced with bittering earthy, herbal hops,” the brewery explains.
Town Hall Strawberry Stave – This dark wheat with strawberry ale is back, aged in American white oak bourbon barrels. Think of a drunken strawberry cobbler, Town Hall says, with sweet fruit and caramel notes, plus graham cracker, brown sugar, and a hint of whiskey. 9% ABV.
Waldmann Schokoladeweizen – “A lightly bittered, creamy, roasty-toasty winter wheat with notes of banana and chocolate and a luscious light-brown head,” Waldmann says of this fun-to-say European-inspired offering.
New beers available this week
- Dortmunder – A golden German-style lager with a crisp profile. 5% ABV.
- Raspberry Moose Tarts – A tart chocolate raspberry porter with tart raspberry up front and chocolate on the finish. 4.3% ABV and available in Crowlers.
22 Northmen Brewing Co.
- Techno Viking – Top Flight selection.
- Crispy Business – A new Czech-style Pilsner made with Saaz hops. 4.4% ABV and available from both brewery and liquor stores.
- Tippled Brown – “A light and flavorful brown ale with a hint of roast,” the brewery says. 4.4% ABV and available exclusively at the taproom.
608 Brewing Company
- Mr. Dream: Blood Orange – A new milkshake IPA with vanilla and blood orange. 6.8% ABV and sold on draft and in 4-packs at the Wisconsin-based brewery.
- Bee Sting – Made with honey, lactose, and aged on vanilla beans, “This delicious beer blurs the line between a cream ale and pastry stout. It’s a Pastry Cream Ale,” Minneapolis’ newest brewery says, noting that the recipe was inspired by the Bienenstich or German Bee Sting Cake. 6.2% ABV, 23 IBU.
Badger Hill Brewing Company
- Starship Mechanic – A taproom-only hazy IPA.
- Back at the Ranch: Green Apple – An imperial foeder Berliner brewed with green apple hard candy with the finished 8.8% ABV product offering a similar hue.
Boom Island Brewing Company
- Key Lime Pie Hard Seltzer – On tap at the brewery, this hard seltzer has lime and a hint of vanilla.
Broken Clock Brewing Cooperative
- Country Club Cashmere – At 6.3% ABV, 58 IBu, this is a New England-style IPA that was double dry-hopped with Cashmere and Idaho 7 for tropical fruit, citrus, and pine flavors.
Dangerous Man Brewing Company
- Nelly Stratado Double IPA – A 9% ABV double IPA made with Nelson Sauvin and Strata hops for citrus-forward flavors and undertones of pine, the brewery says.
- Chonk – “A new rainbowlicious Chonk! This one is loaded up with lemon, lime, orange, raspberry, guava, marshmallows, lactose, sea salt, and Rainbow Sherbet. 6.8% ABV and sold in 4-packs.
- Freak Parade – An 8.2% ABV double IPA that delivers, as the brewery puts it, “pillowy soft, citrusy, stone fruity blast to your taste buds.”
- Underwater Ally – “This monstrously tasty double IPA was brewed with a bunch of oats and spelt, then hopped with Mosaic, Citra, and Ella for a super tropical, citrus, and grapefruity flavor and aroma,” the brewery says. 8.1% ABV.
- Braaaaaaaains!!! – A smoothie ale made with strawberry, pineapple, and raspberry, plus a dose of lactose, sea salt, and vanilla. 7% ABV.
- Flizzard – Three variants of blended, barrel-aged imperial stouts are available today at 11% ABV and sold in 500-milliliter bottles at the Fargo brewery. Each was conditioned on ice cream, plus a second dessert:
- Oreo Flizzard
- Snickers Flizzard
- Twix Flizzard
For beers 2, 3, & 4 on Friday’s release we’re rolling out a new round of Flizzards! These big ol’ imperial stouts aged in a blend of Tattersall Bourbon, Elijah Craig 10 year, Willett 16 year, and Willett 4 year barrels then conditioned on ice cream and either Twix®, pic.twitter.com/ubFr9XGifv
— Drekker Brewing (@DrekkerBrewing) February 16, 2021
Dual Citizen Brewing Company
- Mayhem and Mischief – Top Flight selection.
- Mango Citrus Smoothie Cider
— Duluth Cider (@duluthcider) February 17, 2021
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- Fruity Boom: Pineapple + Orange + Banana – The second release in a new series of “hard seltzer-based smoothies” that focuses on tropical fruit puree blends.
- Who Broke The Hype Machine? – Quite the opposite of the Fruity Boom above, Hype Machine is a 5.3% ABV black lager with crisp and mildly roast flavors along with a touch of herbal hop character, the brewery says.
- Contains Bees – Tapping again next Monday, Contains bees is a peanut butter honey blonde made with Minnesota honey that adds bright notes to the PB-sweetened blonde.
Indeed Brewing Company
- Pistachio Cream Ale – Indeed’s popular cream ale will be sold in 6-packs year-round, with brand new artwork. And, for a limited time, a Milkjam Creamery collaboration ice cream flavor.
Inver Grove Brewing Co.
- Schnitzengiggle – A nod to the 2006 movie Beerfest, “This Dortmunder export-style lager is a well-balanced slightly sweet lager with light noble hop character,” the brewpub says. 6.0% ABV, 25 IBU.
- Shewolf – A nod to the 2006 movie Beerfest, “This medium-bodied lager was cold fermented and then infused with a bit of real pureed strawberry. Crisp, slightly malty, and a pleasant but not overpowering strawberry aroma and finish,” the brewpub says. 6.0% ABV, 20 IBU.
Junkyard Brewing Co.
- Fancy Footwork – A new England-style hazy IPA made with a blend of Vic Secret, El Dorado, and Mosaic hops that impart juicy flavors like pineapple, tropical fruits, and a soft dankness, Junkyard says. 8.1% ABV.
- Sled Shark – A fruited sour ale with guava, mango, and blueberry. “These flavors create a harmonious combination for a fresh sour with a smooth mouthfeel,” the brewery proclaims. 7.2% ABV.
- Triple Double – A 10% ABV triple IPA showcasing Sabro and Strata hops for dominant pineapple and ripe tropical fruit flavors with additional melon, mano, and dank pine impressions.
Today we released our super stacked triple IPA, Triple Double. Packed with a dynamic duo of Sabro and Strata hops, this brew boasts huge aromas of pineapple and super ripe tropical fruit. Flavors of melon, mango, and dank pine lead to a juicy, smooth finish.
10% ABV pic.twitter.com/xdE2n7yVAP
— Junkyard Brewing Co. (@JunkyardBrewing) February 11, 2021
Lake Monster Brewing
- Depth Charge – A new year-round juicy IPA described as featuring a smooth body, clean finish, and big fruity notes of citrus zest and passion fruit. Made with Cryo Citra, Bravo, Idaho 7, and Strata hops. Currently on draft, with cans to come soon.
Lakes & Legends Brewing Company
- Royal Christie – A sour ale made with apricot and Minnesota-grown plum juice, “The result is pure plum juice with tartness from the skin and a jammy sweetness from the meaty fruit within. We then added another 126 lbs of apricot puree to balance the tartness and bring in even more complex stone fruit flavors,” the brewery says. 4.2% ABV.
Left Hand Brewing Co.
- St. Vrain Tripel – A Belgian-style golden ale inspired by traditional Belgian recipes but using Colorado barley and American hops. 9.3% ABV.
Luce Line Brewing Co.
- Boxcar Bellini Sour – A cocktail-inspired wheat sour ale brewed with sauvignon blanc grapes and peach purée.
Lupulin Brewing Company
- Operation CoHoperation: Melvin – A collaborative IPA made with Melvin Brewing of Wyoming, this CoHoperation series offering is a West Coast-style Double IPA with grapefruit, citrus, woody, floral, and dank notes at a big 9% ABV, 100+ IBU.
- Seeds of Change – Sold in bottles at the taproom beginning today, this is a Vikre bourbon barrel-aged imperial stout conditioned on ancho, guajillo, and arbol chili peppers. A portion of the proceeds will be donated to Witch Hunt.
Modist Brewing Co.
- Apiary Drip – Made with help from Dangerous Man, this is a double dry-hopped honey cream double IPA that taps at Modist on Saturday before hitting liquor stores next week.
OMNI Brewing Co.
- Garage Karate – A New England IPA that pours at 6.2% ABV and is now sold in 4-pack cans at liquor stores and on draft at the brewery. A wheat-heavy IPA with Cashmere and Mosaic hops.
???? NEW RELEASE ????
???? Garage Karate ????
Garage Karate was the 2nd beer released in the taproom for our unofficial series of NE IPAs with names inspired by the collected works of Will Ferrell, but it will be the 1st IN 4-PACKS!
— OMNI Brewing Co. (@OMNIBrewing) February 16, 2021
Pryes Brewing Company
- Peace Offering – New in the Signature Series, a collaborative stout made with Peace Coffee. “Peace Offering is a silky smooth stout, featuring notes of cocoa, caramel, and fresh-brewed cold press coffee,” the company offers. 5.8% ABV, 28 IBU. On tap now and coming to liquor stores across the metro area soon.
- Lovers Layne – A 5.6% ABV, 23 IBU raspberry and chocolate milk stout that tapped last weekend.
- Barrel Aged Key Lime Gose – A sour gose aged in tequila barrels is now available in limited 750-milliliter bottles.
Come pickup your bomber of our tequila barrel-aged key lime Gose today???????? This beer is tropical & can basically transport your mind to the beach! Test it for yourself???????? #shakobeer pic.twitter.com/WmDs8roX8t
— Shakopee BrewHall (@shakobrewhall) February 16, 2021
Stacked Deck Brewing Co.
- Vanilla Moonrise – A rich and smooth imperial pastry stout made with vanilla.
- Trident – A triple IPA built around the Citra hop. 10% ABV and sold in 4-packs of 16-ounce cans as well as brewery-direct.
!NEW BEER ALERT! VANILLA MOONRISE — Imperial Pastry Stout — 11% ABV. This rich & extremely smooth stout has a lovely sweet finish f/ the copious amounts of Madagascar vanilla bean caviar we added to it. A perfect beer to help you cope w/ the bitter cold. Link in bio to order. pic.twitter.com/wjeSCF4Eda
— Stacked Deck Brewing (@stackeddeckbrew) February 15, 2021
- Three Dogs & A Squirrel – Top Flight selection.
Town Hall Brewery
Barrel Month continues with new themed releases each week. are available at Town Hall-7 Corners and sold in limited Crowlers. This week marked Dessert Week, consisting of beers with a sweet side. Check out the full monthly listing in a previous Freshies, including special releases tapping on Monday, Feb. 22 (Classics Week)
- Kentucky Truffle – “We made a strong stout with milk sugar that is rich in dark chocolate and fruit character and aged it in barrels chosen for caramel and vanilla notes, then finished the beer with a fantastic new chocolate,” the brewpub explains. 9.4% ABV.
- Vine’s Eye – “Our strongest American honey ale aged in French Oak red wine barrels,” this 9.2% ABV big beer gives complex honey sweetness complemented by pronounced red wine grape flavors and tannins, the brewery notes.
- Strawberry Stave – Top Flight selection.
Uncommon Loon Brewing Company
- Dreamwalker – A 9.2% ABV, 75 IBU double dry-hopped double IPA that tapped earlier this month.
Unmapped Brewing Co.
- Ambrrr! – A new small-batch amber ale. “Think soft, warm, chewy freshly baked whole grain bread, with maybe just a hint of plum,” the brewery says.
Urban Growler Brewing Company
- Northwest Connection – A new, limited edition Northwest-style IPA. 6.5% ABV, 78 IBU.
Wabasha Brewing Company
- Polar Vanilla Portertex – Tapped earlier this month and also available in bottles.
Waconia Brewing Company
- Lunchbox Porter
- Mint Chocolate Chip Porter
- Schokoladeweizen – Top Flight selection.
Wild State Cider
- Rosemary Plum – Available in 4-packs at liquor stores now—and the cidery too.
Beers just announced
22 Northmen Brewing Co.
- BA Knight Axe
- Sweet Child Old Fashioned – Details are emerging about this previously announced cocktail-inspired, Jameson barrel-aged beer. The new twist to Sweet Child will debut in 4-pack/12-ounce bottles on Monday, Feb. 22, tapping at the brewery next Wednesday.
Fulton shared a look at their 2021 plans this week.
- TBD IPA – In addition to their year-round line-up of established beers and seltzers and the Greatest Hits mixed pack, Fulton has a new full-time IPA set to debut this summer. More details will come closer to the date.
- Pale Ale Project – A series of rotating pale ale recipes. Some will be taproom-exclusive, some with wider release. Set to debut in March.
- Strawberry Blonde – One of six limited Garage Series releases throughout the year. The series begins with Old-Fashioned Sweet Child Of Vine next week, with Strawberry Blonde on deck.
- Lime & Salt Blonde – Expected release in July.
- TBD Blonde – The fall variant is still to be announced.
- Winter Seasonal – Something to look forward to besides more cold weather, this TBD beer will be available in November.
Lake Monster Brewing
- Peanut Butter Stout – After a successful pilot batch, Lake Monster has brewed a 15-bbl batch with a new experimental hop. Coming soon.
Lift Bridge Brewing Company
- Free the Bibs – Brewed this week to celebrate the upcoming International Women’s Day, this is to be a blood orange hefeweizen that taps on March 8. Crowler pre-orders are available now.
Free the Bibs Blood Orange Hefeweizen. Brewed by the women of Lift Bridge Brewery to commemorate International Women's Day coming up March 8th.
— Lift Bridge Brewing (@LiftBridge) February 16, 2021
Lupulin Brewing Company
- Belgian Blonde – A 6.5% ABV Belgian-style blonde ale. Packaged this week and soon to release.
- CPB – A 5.25% ABV chocolate and peanut butter porter that was packaged this week.
- Sticky Puddles – An 8.5% ABV imperial sour fruited with mango, pineapple, and passion fruit.
- Whiskey Nuts –’Tis Whiskey Nuts season soon, as the 13% ABV barrel-aged imperial brown ale was packaged at the Lupulin this week.
- Hairy Fairy – An Irish red ale was brewed this week.
“Hairy Fairy” our Irish Red Ale is being brewed today!! ☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️ pic.twitter.com/78qBqHh7Sm
— RustechBrewing (@RustechBrewing) February 17, 2021
Have a new beer we should know about? Send the details to firstname.lastname@example.org for inclusion in Freshies.