Welcome to Beer Dabbler’s Freshies, our weekly rundown on the newest beers hitting the store shelves and taproom coolers in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries.
There are plenty of cold IPAs for the hot weather this week, along with fruity and fizzy summer seasonals. From the ongoing onslaught of passion fruit, orange, and guava flavors to cocktail-themed beers and seltzers, the theme is often light and crisp, in contrast to the humidity in the air. Lupulin even ups the ante, going full tropical with a triple IPA punch.
Each week, the Beer Dabbler team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers that we’re most excited to try.
Goat Ridge Brewing Co. 777 Cold IPA – “Smooth and clean malt profile, through lager yeast fermentation, allows bright, clean hop characteristics to shine through,” the brewery says.
Junkyard Brewing Co. 70s Rock Label – A New England-style IPA with HBC-586 hops, giving notes of sweet citrus, passion fruit, mango, guava, and a subdued bitterness, the brewery says.
Lupulin Brewing Company Fruitsmack – A big 13.5% ABV fruited IPA with added mango, pineapple, and coconut.
Rivers & Rails Brewing Company – Newly open in Thief River Falls in Northwest Minnesota, the initial lineup features a variety of beers including their guava-fruited Zombie Loco Sour, a collaboration with fellow Northwesters Revelation Ale Works.
Steel Toe Brewing Cold IPA – “A golden beauty that has a white foam stand with aromas of berry, dank pine, and candied pineapple,” the brewery says, which “Finishes crisp and smooth with light bitterness.” 6.7% ABV, 40 IBU.
New beers available this week
22 Northmen Brewing Company
- Night Axe – Tapped last week, this barrel-aged imperial stout offers flavors of chocolate, dark fruit, vanilla, and roast atop a malty, whiskey-kissed finish, the brewery says. 12.7% ABV.
Alloy Brewing Company
- Orange Creamsicle – “Our flagship Cream Ale is blended and infused with orange peel and vanilla in this refreshing take on one of our core beers,” the brewery says. 5.8% ABV, 17 IBU.
Garphish Brewing Company
- Long Lake IPA
- Tropical Picnic – Both on tap again as of late June.
Giesenbräu Bier Co.
- Bavarian Hipsta – Flagship German-style IPA Bavarian Gangsta, reworked with the New England-style yeast and hopping techniques for big citrus notes and a juicier profile.
- Deggenauer Dunkel – “This dark Munich lager is the favorite style of our Bavarian dad,” the brewery notes, “and is named for the neighborhood in Deggendorf, Germany where owner Erin spent much of his time learning about German culture. It’s malty with medium body and subtle hints of caramel and nuttiness.”
- Pineapple Lemmiwinks – A summer seasonal Berliner Weisse with sweet and tart real fruit puree.
Goat Ridge Brewing Co.
- 777 Cold IPA – “Smooth and clean malt profile, through lager yeast fermentation, allows bright, clean hop characteristics to shine through,” the brewery says.
- Grapefruit & Guava Seltzer
- Lotusland Fruited Sour – Flavors of pineapple, mango, and pink guava.
Gravity Storm Brewing Cooperative
- Scotch Ale – A 7.5 ABV, 27 IBU Scotch ale with a malty finish.
Half Pint Brewing Company
- Laulima Imperial Stout – Recently tapped, this imperial stout was made with Hawaiiian ingredients, including vanilla beans, cacao nibs, coffee, and chocolate.
Hayes’ Public House
- Peanut Butter Porter – “Our tried and true Porter blend with Old Fashion Peanut Butter for a sweeter, old school nougat flavor. Super smooth and not too heavy on the peanut butter flavor,” the brewery says. 6.5% ABV, 30 IBU.
Heavy Rotation Brewing Co.
- Leichtbier – A limited German-style light lager at 3.8% ABV and served in 20-ounce pours.
You’ve been digging our light lagers lately so we figured we would start the week off with a new one on tap.
Introducing “Leichtbier” German Light Lager.
Coming in at 3.8% and poured into a 20oz glass, we don’t anticipate this crushable bier to be on for long.
Get after it! pic.twitter.com/kYUsnArJzP
— heavyrotationbrewing (@heavyrotationBP) June 29, 2022
High Pines Brewing
- The Rose And The Wolf IPA w/ Strawberry & Rose Hips – An IPA with hop-derived tropical fruit flavors and a kick of strawberry too, the brewery says. Brewed in collaboration with Roseville Fire Fighters L5051 with a portion of sales going to charity.
- Gateway Cream Ale
- Fritz – A hard seltzer and slushie flavor made with passion fruit, orange, and guava. Gluten free.
Island City Brewing Co.
- Peer Pressure: Mojito – The latest hard seltzer flavor to tap at Winona’s riverfront brewery.
Jack Pine Brewery
- Blueberry Pastry Sour – A wheat kettle sour base with dessert-minded additions of graham cracker, lactose, vanilla, and blueberry in honor of blueberry pie. 5.0% ABV
- Extra Neat – A 10.2% ABV bourbon barrel-aged imperial stout aged in 5Rocks whiskey.
- Untapped Badge – This new peanut butter stout is inspired by Peanut Butter Patty Girl Scout cookies.
Junkyard Brewing Co.
- 70s Rock Label – A New England-style IPA with HBC-586 hops, giving notes of sweet citrus, passion fruit, mango, guava, and a subdued bitterness, the brewery says.
- Jolly Meal –
- This is a juicy New England-style IPA single IPA take on Triple Trouble TIPA, featuring Strata and Sabro hops.
- Mama’s Trip To Mexico – Inspired by the margarita, this sour ale is made with agave nectar, lime puree, and orange peel.
- The Girl With Kaleidoscope Eyes – Dragonfruit and mango come together in this fruited sour.
- Pina Colada Seltzer – “A light and easy seltzer with a hint of coconut and pineapple followed by a touch of rum,” the brewery says. 5.5% ABV.
- Hale Lake – A Helles-style lager at 4.7% ABV.
Lake Monster Brewing
- Tough Mudder – The official beer of Tough Mudder competition this weekend, cans will be available at the event, and the unfiltered lager is also on tap at Lake Monster too.
Lakeside Tavern & Brewery
- Fat Lip Cherry Sour
- Go-Go Indigo Blueberry Basil Sour
Little Thistle Brewing
- Man, It’s a Hot One – A Mexican-style lager with a touch of lime zest.
LocAle Brewing Company
- Lake Vibes – A 6% ABV summer seasonal hazy IPA with tropical fruit flavors.
- The Timekeeper – “A new Czech-style amber lager we’ll be putting on our side-pull faucet.” the brewery announces. “This malty lager has been cold conditioning for an extended period to ensure maximum enjoyment.”
LTD Brewing Co.
- Chocolate Coconut Stout – A very limited firkin is available in Crowlers today at LTD. “This beer has a light, crisp coconut flavor with a delicious chocolate finish,” the brewery says.
Lupulin Brewing Company
- Fruitsmack – Top Flight selection
Modist Brewing Co.
- Just You Wait – On tap tomorrow, this is an oak foeder-aged Pilsner with Bravo and Galaxy hops.
Rivers & Rails Brewing Company
Newly open in Thief River Falls in Northwest Minnesota, the initial lineup features:
- Boogie Blonde
- Brass Collar – A gluten reduced cream ale
- Eddy RyePA
- Sperry Car Witbier
- Stack Train Juicy IPA
- Trap Door Tripel
- Wile Rice Wetland Ale
- Zombie Loco Sour (Collaboration with Revelation Ale Works) – Top Flight selection
Steel Toe Brewing
- Cold IPA – Top Flight selection
- POG Potion – A hard seltzer orange in color and flavored with passion fruit, orange, and guava.
There's a new Torg Seltzer on tap for July 4th – POG Potion – as bright orange as the summer sun and bursting with Passion Fruit, Orange, and Guava flavors. We're open 1-11 Sat., 1-10 Sun., and 4-10 Monday. #MNseltzer #July4th #thatwhichisbrewedisalwaysbeautiful pic.twitter.com/KLWevGEoA8
— Torg Brewery (@TorgBrewery) July 2, 2022
Urban Growler Brewing Company
- Cold IPA – A dry refreshing beer with a perceived high hop bitterness, Urban Growler says. 6.1% ABV, 25 IBU, with notes of citrus and wine.
- Rhubarb Wit – A pale and cloudy Belgian-style wit with slight tartness, light spice, and a crisp profile, along with notes of orange peel, coriander, and Minnesota rhubarb. 5% ABV, 13 IBU.
Wild Mind Ales
- System Theory – “A huge hazy double IPA, clocking in at 9.3% ABV, and hopped at nearly six pounds per barrel with mighty Idaho 7. Tangerine, red grapefruit, pine resin, and papaya give way to a unique and lush taste,” the brewery says.
- Walkover – A 6.6% ABV dry-hopped saison with flavors of fruity grapefruity, earthy hay, and pine.
Wooden Hill Brewing Co.
- Vacation Mode – A tropical milkshake-style IPA made with pineapple, mango, guava, passion fruit, lactose, El Dorado and Citra hops, and vanilla. 7.0% ABV.
Have a new beer we should know about? Send the details to firstname.lastname@example.org for inclusion in Freshies.