Photo via Hormel Chili Cheese Brew
Welcome to Beer Dabbler’s Freshies, our weekly rundown on the newest beers hitting the store shelves and taproom coolers in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries.
orget the chips, Modist has tapped a Hormel collaboration, Chili Cheese Brew. And yes, it’s exactly what the name suggests, but in a light-body lager form. Stock up now to make sure you have some on hand for Super Bowl Weekend next month. And, in the meantime, late January is also the season to enjoy barrel-aged imperial stouts, with several big, rich notables hitting taps and liquor stores near you.
There are also weekly small batch releases at Wabasha and Utepils to take in, light body lagers, Belgian-style beers, hazy and West Coast-style IPAs and much much more in Freshies this week.
Each week, the Beer Dabbler team highlights the most tantalizing new beers available across the state that we’re most excited to try. Check out these Top Flights at Dabbler Depot—Click on each image for stock levels.
Schell’s Bock Dark Lager – A dark-amber colored beer with a rich flavor and robust malt character that is commonly consumed during the coldest winter months. 6.5% ABV
Falling Knife Chill Factor IPA – A West Coast Double IPA with Estate Grown Comet, Chinook & Columbus Cryo hops with Chinook and Southern Hemisphere Tropical Terpenes. 8.4% ABV
Drekker Brewing Company Joker In The Pack Double IPA – A double IPA packed with Nectaron, Citra, Nelson Sauvin, and Strata hops. We’re pretty dang pumped about how Joker in the Pack turned out. 8.2% ABV
Fulton Brewing Company Coffin Dodger – Grab a Coffin Dodger and get your coffee and beer fix at the same time! A coffee black ale using beans from our friends at Misfit Coffee, Coffin Dodger greets you with a fresh brewed coffee aroma. 6.6% ABV
Arbeiter Brewing Company Cartwheel Fireworks Strong Pale Ale – A play on bright flavors typically found in hazy IPAs & IPLs. A new hop variety delivers tropical fruits along with bright herbal notes over a light body. 6% ABV
The beers in this gallery are now available for purchase at Dabbler Depot, 1545 7th St W, St. Paul, MN 55102
New beers available this week across Minnesota
Looking for a taste of these great new beers? The icon indicates beers available at Dabbler Depot. Keep in mind—stock is limited! Check dabblerdepot.com or text (651)-802-2112 for availability.
- Blood Orange IPA – Blood orange puree gives this West Coast-style IPA a bright burst of orange and grapefruit zest-like flavors. 6.5% ABV, 50 IBU.
Chaotic Good Brewing Company
- Crushed Ruby – A crisp, SMaSH amber ale made with CaraRuby malt and Cashmere hops, pouring at a sessionable 4.4% ABV.
Dangerous Man Brewing Company
- Barrel Aged White Russian Imperial Stout – On tap and available in bottles today.
- Boysenberry Milkshake IPA – As the brewery puts it: “Hopped with Mosaic for that extra berry burst and conditioned on Madagascar vanilla beans and boysenberries. Creamy, smooth and juicy.” 7.2% ABV, 35 IBU.
👾BOYSENBERRY MILKSHAKE IPA👾 It's back baby! 🕺Hopped with Mosaic for that extra berry burst 💥 and conditioned on Madagascar vanilla beans and boysenberries. Creamy, smooth and juicy is the name of the game here. Available on tap and in crowlers. • 7.2% ABV 35 IBU • pic.twitter.com/iombdnMKn8
— DangerousMan (@DangerousMan7) January 19, 2023
Dual Citizen Brewing Company
Dual Citizen celebrates its fifth anniversary this Saturday, throwing a party from 5-10pm.
- Beets, Rye and Lime – A bright pink beer with earthy beets, slight citrus, and a hint of clove, the brewery says of this unique saison with sweetness up front and a grassy, dry finish. 6.5% ABV, 33 IBU.
- Gris and Glor – A collaboration with Nouvelle, this Pinot Gris/saison hybrid offers stone fruit, wine grapes, and citrus notes with a dry, peppery finish. At 8.6% ABV, the beer is medium in body and slightly warming, Dual Citizen states.
- Lake State Lager – A Helles-style lager with a light body, flavors of bread dough and hay, and a clean, dry finish. 4.5% ABV, 15 IBU.
- MN Wild Rice Lagerbier – A light body lager that pours dark yellow with fresh grain, white bread, and slight nuttiness on the nose, the brewery says. 4% ABV, 15 IBU.
- Ruby Cranberry Cider – “Ruby is a tart, refreshing, super light semi-sweet made with Wisconsin cranberries,” the cidery says.
Elm Creek Brewing Co.
- Imperial Rare Candy: Pineapple Mango and Orange – The latest rare candy is juicy with subtle sourness and three fruit additions. 7.5% ABV.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- Modern Solutions – “We reunited with our friends from Hacienda Beer Co. in Door County to create two IPAs – Hacienda’s Modern Problems and our Modern Solutions – featuring Cryo Columbus and Strata hops. Sit back and enjoy a sip of success,” Fair State explains.
Heavy Rotation Brewing
- Get Back – A blueberry and lemonade lager, now on draft. “Light, crisp, tart and bursting with fresh, fruity lemonade flavor,” Heavy Rotation explains.
- Yeah, We Have That… – Described as a juicy peach-flavored hard seltzer.
High Pines Brewing
- Baked Brown Ale – A light-body brown ale with added cocoa powder and semisweet chocolate chips.
- Pinecone Lager – “Pinecone is our take on a farmhouse lager brewed with pilsner malt alongside purple and white corn. It’s unfiltered and cloudy with a bread like sweetness, light notes of fruit and a crisp finish,” the Roseville brewery says.
- Wise Man Witbier – Barley and white wheat, with Belgian yeast, coriander, and orange peel, combining for big citrus flavors and light herbal spice, the brewery says.
- Banshee Cutter – The golden ale with coffee is back for a limited time.
Be on the lookout for a limited run of Banshee Cutter in your favorite local liquor store! pic.twitter.com/pjOORK3ggK
— Insight Brewing (@InsightBrewing) January 19, 2023
Lakes & Legends Brewing Company
- Home Improvements 2.0 – An awareness-raising collaboration beer with Habitat For Humanity as part of The House that Beer Built program this is a 5.4% ABV black IPA, on tap now. A celebratory party is scheduled for Feb. 3 from 6-8pm at the brewery.
Lift Bridge Brewing Company
- Silhouette – The bourbon barrel-aged imperial stout is back for 2023. Dark in color, this high ABV beer offers notes of coffee, molasses, chocolate, prune, bourbon, and oak. Also available in two variants: Coffee and Vanilla.
Lupulin Brewing Company
- Rene v.2 – A foeder-aged golden sour ale, sold in bottles beginning today. 7% ABV. Available at both taprooms.
- Unchecked Hedonism – Described as a Sticky Toffee Pudding Belgian-style Quad, this big beer came out on Tuesday and offers flavors of dates and English toffee, merged with traditional Belgian-style Quad elements. 11% ABV.
Minneapolis Cider Company
- Trail Magic: Lime Margarita – A new lime and salt recipe from the nonalcoholic, THC-infused seltzer line.
Modist Brewing Co.
- Chili Cheese Brew – The name is accurate. This is an American lager collaboration with Hormel. “With this delicious corn chip flavored base, we concocted a mix of savory spices and hints of cheddar cheese powder to bring the flavors of Hormel Chili Cheese Dip to life,” Modist explains.
Nine Mile Brewing
- Hootless – A awareness-raising 4.4% ABV pink grisette made with citrus flavors, grassy notes, and saison yeast-derived elements of grapefruit and orange zest. Dragonfruit powder is added for color.
- Shardic Expresssion No. 1 – This imperial oatmeal stout has added coffee and vanilla. 10.5% ABV.
- Terptastic! – Westy IPA with boosted terpenes, “We utilized a super cool yeast strain, Nine Mile explains, “that gives off terpenes (potent aroma/flavor compounds) that mimic freshie-fresh Cascade hops without using said hops at all,” doing the same to add Chinook hop character. 7.1% ABV.
- Time for Recess – A collaboration peanut butter, honey, and banana blonde ale. 5.7% ABV.
- Swamp Thang – Oliphant’s wee heavy. 8% ABV.
- Zozo GunGun – Cryo Mosaic and Wakatu hops set the tone in this triple IPA that pours at 10% ABV.
Outstate Brewing Co.
- Backroad Hazy IPA – A blend of Citra, Amarillo, Cryo Citra, Azacca , and Sabro Hops go into this limited, returning beer. 6.5% ABV, 33 IBU.
- Gusto Italian Pilsner – A hoppy lager, gold in color and made with Cashmere hops.
Pantown Brewing Company
- Raspberry Sour – Tapped at the start of the month.
- Resurrection Double IPA Tapped earlier this month.
Portage Brewing Company
- Coldest Of Nights – Citra, Mosaic, and Columbus Cryo hops build the core of this imperial IPA with pine tar, tangerine peel, and cannabis notes. “Driest, most bitter beer we’ve made to date, hands down,” Portage adds.
- Deep Distortion – A traditional oatmeal stout with dark roasted coffee, cacao, and caramel flavors. 5.2% ABV.
- Long Time Coming – A West Coast-style IPA made with all Citra and Cascade hops.
- Paradise Anyway – A double dry-hopped New England-style IPA made with hop oils, “Vic Secret, Sabro, Cashmere, and Citra deliver an extremely juicy beer with a crisp alcoholic bite. Ripe mango, tangerine peels, and pinã colada aromatics fill the glass,” Portage says. 7.5% ABV.
- Sauna Water – A botanical sparkling water collaboration with Cedar + Stone Nordic Spa (Duluth), this was made using spruce tips, juniper berries, cardamom, lemon, citrus peels, and allspice.
- This Is An Illusion – A New England-style double dry-hopped IPA made with Phantasm powder. It’s a hazy IPA with strawberry taffy, Sauvignon Blanc grape, tangerine, and pineapple notes with an extra fruity burst. 6.5% ABV.
Pryes Brewing Co.
- 2023 Lost Moon – Flavors of rich cocoa, smooth vanilla, and toffee candy set the tone in this dark, 11.2% ABV imperial stout.
Rapids Brewing Co.
- Hunker Down – A 7% ABV Belgian-style dubbel, “This beer is a flavor bombardment of malt, sweet cherry essence, and a smoky finish,” the brewery says. “Traditional Belgian yeast produces the mulling spice notes that are common in this beer style.”
- Milkyway Porter – A traditional porter with added maple syrup, cold press coffee, and vanilla bean. 6.2% ABV.
Reads Landing Brewing Co.
- Timberline Bier de Garde – “This special beer has sweet malty aroma with light hints of toast or bread. It carries a medium body and mouthfeel with flavor characteristics leaning toward spicy, peppery and herbal,” the brewpub shares.
Red Wing Brewery
- Remmler’s Royal Brew – Back on tap as of early January. Though readers should note that the brewpub will be closed Jan. 29-Feb. 5.
- Apple Rapids Cider – A 4.6% ABV beer made with apple, strawberry, blackberry, and raspberry.
- NA Head Rocker – A nonalcoholic version of the brewery’s IPA.
Revelation Ale Works
- Smoothie Sour: P.O.G. – A tropically flavored smoothie sour ale with added passion fruit, orange, and guava.
- Sticky Situation – A double IPA with dank tropical fruit flavors along with notes of berry and citrus. 8.2% ABV.
Surly Brewing Co.
- Wild Abandon – A double IPA with citrus and mandarin orange flavors from a cocktail of Eclipse hops, with added Sabro and Mosaic. Available at the beer hall.
Abandon your preconceptions of what a double IPA can be. Australian-grown Eclipse hops (with an assist from Sabro and Mosaic) give this hazy beauty a wild shot of citrusy, mandarin orange flavor.
Wild Abandon is on tap now at the beer hall! pic.twitter.com/Bx4OfWXDPy
— surlybrewing (@surlybrewing) January 19, 2023
- Happy Dog – A new lager with a hint of maple.
- Oak Aged Smokey the Beer – On tap today as a limited infusion offering.
- Springbok – Available today.
Venn Brewing Company
- Old School – A 6.3% ABV IPA – style giveaway in its name.
🎤Guess who's back?
Old Schools back
Tell a friend🎤
Ready to party like it’s 1999?
The Billboard #1 year end song in 1999 was Cher “Believe”.
🎶Do you believe in beer after beer?🎶#oldschoolipa #seethroughipa #1999 #throwback #earworm #stuckinyourhead pic.twitter.com/y16fuWA0VK
— Venn Brewing (@vennbrewing) January 20, 2023
Wabasha Brewing Co.
- Lemon Drop Pepper – A limited cask of West Side Popper conditioned on Lemon Drop peppers tapped on Wednesday.
- El Jefe Hefeweizen – A 4.5% ABV German-style hefeweizen brewed with wheat and Pilsner malt and offering banana bread, vanilla, and clove-like flavors.
- Red Bonnet – A clean finish amber ale, described by Wabasha as “Dark red in color, pleasant flavors of caramel and malts with a hint of cherries.” 5.8% ABV, 22 IBU.
Wooden Hill Brewing Co.
- Cinnamon Crunch – A brown ale with a cereal twist, this light-body brown offers cinnamon and subtle sweetness. 4.9% ABV.
Have a new beer we should know about? Send the details to firstname.lastname@example.org for inclusion in Freshies.
Leave A Comment