Refreshing fruited ales are starting their comeback, but we’re also seeing a wave of obscure European styles hitting local taps. Options start with hefe and weizenbock to Belgian-styles, but also a Lithuanian farmhouse ale.
In more localized varieties, Surly’s Furious goes double for its fifteenth birthday, while Bad Weather teamed up with Arbeiter to run some wort across the Mississippi.
Each week, the Beer Dabbler team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers that we’re most excited to try.
Arbeiter Brewing Duel City – A collaboration with Bad Weather, “We brewed it at Bad Weather, drove the second runnings wort back to Arbeiter, and boiled and fermented our portion there,” the brewery explains. Arbeiter’s is a Belgian-style IPA at 8.1% ABV and Crowler purchase comes with a token for a free pint at Bad Weather (and vice versa).
Broken Clock Brewing Cooperative Fan Boy – A Belgian-style quadruple with notes of caramel, dark sugar, raisins, dates, and figs, aged in bourbon barrels. Batch number 311 from the brewery and 11.3% ABV, 38 IBU.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative Serious Leisure – A guava lime sour ale with hibiscus. “Tropical, juicy, brightly zesty, pink, spritzy, and crushable,” the brewery promises. 5% ABV. On tap Thursday and hitting liquor stores next week. The brewery is also hosting a tropical themed hard seltzer cocktail event this weekend, dubbed Cafe Tropical.
Lupulin Brewing Company Loïs v.1 – A foeder-aged golden Brett beer with peach and the first release from a foeder nicknamed Loïs. 8.5% ABV and available in bottles at the brewery today.
Nine Mile Brewing Skysta Garbe – A collaboration with Dual Citizen, “Both crews decided to dig into the more obscure side of farmhouse ale traditions and thus this ale was born,” Nine Mile says of its new Lithuanian-style farmhouse. “Heavy overtones of pear, banana, apricot and a tinge of lemon intertwine with a solid bready backbone and ribbons of honey.”
New beers available this week
608 Brewing Company
- TDH Hop Honey – A hazy honey double IPA made with Mosaic, El Dorado, and Sabro hops. 8% ABV and sold on draft and in 4-packs to go from the La Crosse brewery.
- Duel City – Top Flight selection
- Strawberry Spritzig – A 4.8% ABV hard seltzer made with 100% strawberry puree. Gluten-free, non-GMO, and low calorie.
Bad Weather Brewing Company
- Duel City – Read Arbeiter’s beer of the same name for the process details behind this collaborative Belgian-style double IPA. 10.3% ABV. There’s also a free pint token that comes with Crowler purchases.
- Taxman – “A loving riff on a beer our Head Brewer Tyler has brewed many, many times. Citra and Mosaic with Golden Promise Malt,” the brewery says. 7.5% ABV.
- Versace Lettuce – A triple IPA brewed with Citra, Simcoe, and Talus hops with fruity notes. 10.0% ABV.
Dropping our first Triple IPA in these fine environs with a fruity cornucopia of Citra, Simcoe & Talus. Tread carefully.
On tap & in crowlers now. pic.twitter.com/teiZ0JvR44
— bricksworthbeer (@bricksworthbeer) April 2, 2022
Broken Clock Brewing Cooperative
- Fan Boy – Top Flight selection
Castle Danger Brewery
- #FreeTheGrowler – Raising awareness of Minnesota’s breweries’ current bill to amend growler limits, this new beer is a hefeweizen with notes of banana, cracker, and spice.
Dangerous Man Brewing Company
- Mint Chocolate Mousse Double Stout – “A big, robust stout that was conditioned on fresh mint leaves, cocoa nibs, marshmallows, vanilla beans, and a touch of dark baker’s chocolate,” the brewery says. 8.0% ABV. Contains lactose.
- So Fetch – Brewed by women, using Pink Boots Hops blend, Pilsner malt, Kveik yeast, and basil, then conditioned on strawberries. 4.2% ABV.
- Yo Mamma Zappa Cold IPA – A recipe of Centennial, Belma, and Zappa hops, plus Pils malt and lager yeast. 7.9% ABV.
????SO FETCH STRAWBERRY BASIL TABLE ALE ???? You can sit with us… at the table, it would be SO FETCH! Created & brewed by the women of Dangerous “Wo”man Brewing Co. Brewed w/ Pink Boots Hops blend, Pilsner Malt, Kveik Yeast, & Basil & conditioned on Strawberries. 4.2% ABV pic.twitter.com/8ncbqznwut
— DangerousMan (@DangerousMan7) April 5, 2022
- Braaaaaaaains! – Blackberry and guava are in this batch.
- Mac-PRRRT-a-Roni – If an April 1 statement is to be believed, this PRRRY is “Stuffed to the heavens with cheddar cheese and piles on piles of hot dogs…Here’s our joke; We dreamed up this dumb beer, tirelessly experimented, received federal approval and ACTUALLY MADE THE DAMN THING!”
- Slang Du Jour: Black Forest Cake Slang – Cherry, almonds, chocolate cake, and vanilla ice cream in a beer glass.
It’s April 1st and you might’ve guessed there’s one last, surprise beer for today’s release, Mac-PRRRT-a-Roni. Stuffed to the heavens with cheddar cheese and piles on piles of hot dogs, this beer is a Blue Box dream. ⠀
You’ll probably see a lot of wacky stunts today about pic.twitter.com/iiU35WH8TF
— Drekker Brewing (@DrekkerBrewing) April 1, 2022
Eastlake Craft Brewery
- Leafy Greens – A Mosaic-hopped West Coast-style pale ale, on tap as we begin a new baseball season. The pale ale offers blueberry, tangerine, floral, and tropical notes, the brewery says. Eastlake is celebrating First Pitch with baseball-themed events April 7 and 8 at the brewery.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- Serious Leisure – Top Flight selection
Firestone Walker Brewing Company
- Mind Haze Light – “We borrowed several tricks from perfecting the original Mind Haze and packed them down into a low-calorie, low-alcohol edition that is loaded with tropical-citrus flavors,” the brewery says in a press release. Available in 6-packs of 12-ounce cans.
- Belgian Dubbel – On tap now.
- The Quadfather – On tap now.
Heavy Rotation Brewing Company
Now open in Brooklyn Park, with an opening day lineup of:
- BP Pale Ale
- Farmer Frank Cream Ale
- Final Finals Kolsch
- Lean Into It Hazy IPA
- Snack Pack Pastry Stout
- Tasty Waves Hazy IIPA
- Wreckless Abandon Witbier
Hop & Barrel Brewing – Hudson
- Mucho Ojos – A 5% ABV, Medican-style lager, dry hopped with Motueka hops. “Mucho is judiciously hopped with Motueka hops giving this lager a pleasant lime aroma, making it the perfect compliment to a hint of salt,” the brewery across the border says.
Invictus Brewing Company
- Hop Throttle – An imperial IPA with pineapple and citrus up front over rich dankness, brewed in collaboration with Granite City. It pours at 9% ABV, 70 IBu and was made with Sultana and Vic Secret hops.
Brew Day! Hop Throttle ( Imperial IPA )
Our friends from @gcfb stopped by for a rad Collaboration- Going for big pineapple ???? and a little dank undertones1 The plan is have this at all Granite City's in MN,. Invictus Tap room and have available in cans! pic.twitter.com/h9naKdY7bS
— InvictusBrewingCo (@InvictusBrewCo) February 10, 2022
Lakes & Legends Brewing Company
- Hard Seltzer: Raspberry & Lime – On tap as of Monday and in liquor stores beginning on Thursday April 21.
Lift Bridge Brewing Co.
- I’m Just a Bill HF2767 – “A 8% ABV DDH DIPA featuring 100% Citra hops accentuated by super special Berkeley Tropics yeast,” the brewery says, adding. “This brew was created to spark awareness surrounding Bill HF2767 and the #FreeTheGrowler movement.”
- Maibock – A maibock recipe made from a mix of Munich, Pilsner, Maris Otter malts, and noble hops. 7.7% ABV. On tap at both Lift Bridge locations.
- Mango Blonde – Lift Bridge celebrates the return of its subtly sweet and refreshing warmer weather blonde ale with a party in New Richmond this Saturday.
Lupulin Brewing Company
- Cerise de Chance ’22 – A barrel-aged Belgian-style ale with Brettanomyces and cherries. On sale today in bottles at the brewery. 8% ABV.
- Hen Pecks – A fruited wheat ale with raspberry and strawberry. 5.5% ABV, 13 IBU.
- Loïs v.1 – Top Flight selection
- DoppelBach – A German-style double bock, on tap beginning today.
DoppelBach, coming Friday! Doppel, meaning double, is a bigger and stronger version of a traditional German-style bock beer. pic.twitter.com/wNW9mcGmg2
— MetroNOME Brewery (@MetroNOME_Beer) April 6, 2022
Modist Brewing Co.
- Chill Chill Chill Chill Chill – “Our new cold IPA with Pilsner malt and flaked corn, hopped and dry-hopped with Strata, Simcoe and Cryo Sultana fermented and lagered with our house lager yeast,” Modist explains. On tap this Saturday and in liquor stores next week.
- Liquid El Dorado Crystals.– A double dry-hopped New England-style IPA. On tap this Saturday and in liquor stores starting next Tuesday.
Nine Mile Brewing
- Skysta Garbe – Top Flight selection
- Grizzly – “Crisp, lightly tart, incredibly drinkable, and highly underrated, this table beer has fruity spice and citrus notes,” the brewery says of its new Belgian-style table beer with a modern dry-hop twist. 4.1% ABV.
- Hefe – A German-style hefeweizen at 5.1% ABV. “A four-step mash schedule promotes the classic and balanced banana and clove flavors through fermentation,” the brewery explains.
- You Should Drink This – A rich and juicy IPA with pineapple, mango, blood orange, and vanilla flavors. 6.7% ABV. Contains lactose.
- Frankenstein Pot – Citra, Mosaic, Strata and Simcoe hops come together in this 6% ABV West Coast-style IPA.
- Funky Fido – A “banana/fudge” lager at 5% ABV, 14 IBU.
- Puppies & Pancakes – A French toast-inspired brown ale at 6% ABV, 34 IBU.
Pryes Brewing Co.
- Magic Hour – A newly released fruited ale with guava, passion fruit, orange, marshmallow, and Strata hops. On tap and in cans.
Tropical fruits set the mood for your day in the limelight. Guava, passionfruit, orange, marshmallow & Strata hops blend in perfect unison. The Magic Hour is upon us.
On Tap: April 9th at Pryes Paradise
In Stores: Week of April 4th pic.twitter.com/zzCurKnsZn
— Pryes Brewing Co. (@PryesBrewing) March 29, 2022
The Chicago, IL brewery is now selling several beers in Minnesota, including:
- Anti-Hero IPA
- Cafe Deth
- Hazy Hero
- Freedom Lemonade
- Freedom Of Speach
- Maple Jacket
The revolution will be tweeted pic.twitter.com/2ZXm5RnHR7
— The Ale Jail (@thealejail) April 6, 2022
Rogue Ales & Spirits
- Gumberoo – A new West Coast-style IPA from Rogue, released as Rogue introduces a “Battle of the Beasts” campaign between Gumberoo, Batsquatch, and Colossal Claude.
- Sangria – Back for the season.
— Schell's Brewery (@SchellsBrewery) April 4, 2022
- Banana Hammock – A new high ABV weizenbock-style.
- Barrel Aged Herd of Turtles 21 – Tapped along its ‘22 version earlier this week.
- Herd of Turtles 2022 – An imperial stout collaboration with Turtle’s Bar & Grill, “Expect a smooth and deep alcohol presence, paired with an array of flavors from real pecan, cacao nibs, and more,” the brewery says.
South By Southeast Brewing
- Magical Unicorn – A honey and hibiscus wheat ale brewed on International Women’s Day in collaboration with Pink Boots Society.
Spilled Grain Brewhouse
- Bockbier – Tapped in March.
- Brew Day Bibs Black IPA – “While it has similar roasty and chocolatey characteristics of a porter, it has a much lighter mouthfeel, and a refreshing west-coast hop aroma,” says Spiral of its newly tapped beer brewed to celebrate Women’s History Month.
Steel Toe Brewing
- Un-Lunker – The base beer (pre barrel-aged) to Lunker, English-style barleywine. “Within its malty depths expect to find rich flavors of toasted malt, toffee, caramel and vanilla. The velvety and slightly sweet finish is balanced out beautifully by the warmth,” Steel Toe says. 13.7% and exclusive to the taproom.
Surly Brewing Co.
- Double Furious – It’s the fifteen anniversary of Furious, so Surly has unveiled Double: “an imperial IPA that goes twice as hard on the original’s caramel malt backbone and heavy hop bill with notes of zesty orange, caramel and vanilla.” Sold in 4-packs of 16-ounce cans for the month of April only.
- Logic Bomb Juicy Pale Ale – A new year-round pale ale with a juicy, hop-forward profile from a blend of Citra, Talus, Sabro, and Warrior hops.
- Well Chuffed – Tapped on Wednesday, National Tartan Day, this is a Scottish ale made with UK Bramling hops. It is malt-forward with notes of toffee, plum, and oak. 6.6% ABV.
Venn Brewing Company
- Stone Cold Fox – A cold IPA featuring Citra and Mosaic hops. 6.5% ABV.
Wabasha Brewing Co.
- Strawberry Rhubarb Kolsch
Strawberry Rhubarb Kolsch is here. Beautiful beer, both inside and out. pic.twitter.com/ZeNWxQsZ5F
— Wabasha Brewing Company (@wabashabrewery) April 5, 2022
Wooden Hill Brewing Company
- Watermelon Kiwi Soirée – A cream ale fruited with the two namesake fruits. 6.7% ABV.
Have a new beer we should know about? Send the details to email@example.com for inclusion in Freshies.