Welcome to Beer Dabbler’s Freshies, our weekly rundown on the newest beers hitting the store shelves and taproom coolers in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries.
Juicy, sweet, and tart.
Sometimes a beer has one of those popular traits—often it has all three. This week we see a lot of lemon, berry, and other fruit-forward kettle sours and, of course, juicy IPAs across the haze spectrum.
We also see the continued West Coast-style IPA revival, offering something for those who love a resinous and dank finish.
In addition to events at breweries across the state, it’s also the return of Record Store Day. And, since beer and music are the perfect pairing, Broken Clock has a new American Lager brewed just for the occasion.
Each week, the Beer Dabbler team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers that we’re most excited to try.
Angry Inch Never Ending – One hundred percent hopped with Michigan-grown Mackinac hops, this IPA presents flavors of papaya and cantaloupe.
Birch’s on the Lake Grisette – “This is a very special beer brewed by our brewer, Erik, and his fiancée, Danielle, for their wedding. Together they brewed Grisette, French and Belgian saison yeast strains, Minnesota pilsner malt, German spelt, and dry hopped with Motueka hops from New Zealand,” the brewpub explains.
Humble Forager Western Skyline: Version 1 – “Our exploration of classic American hops which boast resiny, dank flavors with citrus zest and tropical fruit,” the distribution brewery says of its new West Coast-style IPA line, starting with a double IPA at 8.0% ABV.
Lake Monster Blood Orange Citrus IPA – A seasonal IPA made with oats for a creamy body to go with the tropical hop-derived flavors that are then accented further by the use of orange zest and blood orange puree.
Number 12 Cider Uncle Fitz – “A dark, dry, medium sparkle cider made with French bittersweet apples and aged for 16 months in Old Fitzgerald bourbon barrels. Barrel aging with wild yeast and dried cherries gives this cider a certain barreled sour character with spicy and smoky overtones. Tasting notes include hints of dried fig, leather, and forest floor,” the cidery says. 9.5% ABV and taproom-only.
New beers available this week
608 Brewing Company
- Candy Wrappers Delight – A candy bar-inspired imperial stout with chocolate, roasted peanuts, caramel and, yes, nougat too. 10.% ABV and on tap today, in 2-packs to go from the La Crosse brewery.
- Mr. Dream: Raspberry Pomegranate – A milkshake-style IPA made with raspberry, pomegranate, vanilla, and lacrosse: smooth berry, tart pomegranate, and creamy vanilla impressions, the brewery says. 6.6% ABV.
- Rype: Raspberry Lemonade – Newly tapped, this 6% ABV sour ale was made with raspberry puree and lemonade mix.
Alloy Brewing Company
- Key Lime & Mango Laser Lips – A 4.8% ABV fruited kettle sour that mixes tart and sweet sensations.
Angry Inch Brewing Company
- Love Potion 208 – A coconut and lime flavored hard seltzer, served on tap.
- Never Ending – Top Flight selection.
Bad Weather Brewing Company
- Mammatus Milk Stout – Back at the brewery now.
- Orange Cream Ale – “A classic cream ale brewed with Cara Cara orange puree, vanilla bean, and lactose. Flavors and aromas of sweet vanilla and tropical mandarin orange. Light bodied with a sweet finish. Pours hazy straw color with a white head,” Bad Weather says.
New Beer! Orange Cream Ale. On Tap now & in crowlers on Friday
A classic Cream Ale brewed w/ Cara Cara Orange puree, vanilla bean & lactose. Flavors and aromas of sweet vanilla & tropical mandarin orange. Light bodied with a sweet finish. Pours hazy straw color with a white head pic.twitter.com/D6JxQufrCO
— Bad Weather Brewing (@BadWeatherBrew) June 9, 2021
Badger Hill Brewing Company
- Lawn Flamingo – A tropical triple IPA with pineapple and coconut. With big juicy flavors that also include nots of mango, orange, and restrained coconut at the finish.
- Lemonist – A lemon-infused ale, now available in 12-ounce cans.
- Tim’s Not Here, Man – Featuring the new HS Citiva hop, this hazy IPA has dank and citrus notes and pours at approximately 5% ABV.
- A Glitch in the Matrix – A new dank double dry-hopped, double hazy IPA. Made with a blend of Citra, Kahoatu, and Moutere hops. Available at 2pm today, this new beer features a creamy body with tropical fruit character, notable dank tones, and a strong finish, Bent says.
- Temporal Sunshine – The second of two new taps today, Temporal Sunshine is a hazy fruited sour beer with pineapple, lemon, and vanilla.
Birch’s On The Lake
- Dragon Fruit Gose – A dry and tart kettle sour made with coriander, sea salt, and dragon fruit puree. 5.2% ABV.
- Grisette – Top Flight selection.
- Stacking Cash – A collaborative double dry-hopped triple IPA made with J. Wakefield Brewing and a bunch of Cashmere, Strata, Mosaic, Talus, and Cashmere Cryo hops. 10.1% ABV. On draft and also in liquor stores.
- Straight Fyre – A double dry-hopped double IPA made with Citra, Citra Cryo, and Galaxy hops. 8.8% ABV.
DDH DIPA (8.8%)
We figured we better blow it out for this one with our buds Private Sector Provisions, so we used flaming portions of our hand selected Citra, Citra Cryo & Australian Galaxy. Trust Us, It’s Fyre☠️ pic.twitter.com/gylHG0OOmD
— BlackStack Brewing (@BlackStackBrew) June 3, 2021
Broken Clock Brewing Cooperative
- Liquid Fidelity – A crisp, clean, and bready American lager with a light bitterness. Brewed in partnership with Down in the Valley for Record Store Day, this Saturday at independent record stores across the state. 4.7% ABV.
- Blacklight Syndicate – Out now, this double IPA (with oats and spelt) has a hop profile of Citra, Mosaic, and Azacca, which impart juicy citrus and melon-like flavors. 8.3% ABV.
- Brain Squeeze! – A new smoothie sour with blackberry and cucumber. 4.5% ABV.
- Chonk: Tropical Berry Blast – The latest “Sundae Sour” release contains black currant, lime, coconut, lactose, and marshmallows 6.5% ABV.
- Freak Parade – “Our OG Double IPA. Freak Parade is brewed with oats and spelt for a soft, pillowy body and hopped with just the right amount of Vic Secret, El Dorado, and Mosaic for some killer peach gummy and melon flavor and aroma,” the brewery says. 8.2% ABV.
It's baaaack! The 2nd beer on Friday's release is one of our favorites from the OG smoothie sour series, Brain Squeeze! This one’s loaded up (but not too much) with blackberry & cucumber for a hella refreshing flavor and lighter body than most of our other sours. pic.twitter.com/NFGE4JmEpM
— Drekker Brewing (@DrekkerBrewing) June 9, 2021
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- BBRR – aka Blackberry Blueberry Raspberry Roselle, this fruit-forward offering is made with real fruit and carefully aged to provide intense berry with tartness.
- U-Pick 2019 – On tap at the Minneapolis brewery now, this barrel-fermented sour is made with fresh, local raspberries. Limited supply.
Forager celebrates Nillerzzzzzz 2021’s release with a 6 bottle drop this Saturyda:
- Door County Peninsula – A blended spontaneous ale with added peaches, honeysuckle, and “northern WI log cabin,” and aged on wildflower honey, this beer offers “tender acidity and a juicy yet dry finish,” the brewery says.
- Gathering in the Woods – A blend of spontaneous barrels, this beer has added raspberries and cherries, which add a tannic dry character to go with the beer’s “earthy and assertive acidity.” It drinks like a dry fruit wine, the brewery says.
- Meteor Showers – A mixed culture farmhouse-style saison with cherries.
- Nillerzzzzz 2021 – The star of the show, the latest batch of Forager’s annual barrel-aged double stout was made with vanilla beans grown in Comoros, Cook Islands, Vanuatu, Mexico, and Madagascar.
- Pudding Dribbles – Made with maple sap, toasted coconut, cocoa nibs, maple syrup, vanilla beans, cocoa nibs, and coffee.
- Snowball Puddles – Using maple sap in place of water, this big beer also uses toasted coconut, marshmallow creme, vanilla beans, and cocoa nibs for flavors that are similar to a Hostess Snowball, the brewery says.
- Space Goggles – Also brewed with maple sap instead of water, this recipe was conditioned on almonds, vanilla beans, cocoa nibs, cinnamon, and Astronaut ice cream.
Because the brewers just couldn’t stop!! 😬 See you on June 12th friends!! pic.twitter.com/COUGyJuIsg
— Forager Brewery (@ForagerBrewery) June 5, 2021
Celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay teamed up with Brew Pipeline — including partners at Lift Bridge — to craft a lineup of 5.6% ABV hard seltzers inspired by the menu at his Hell’s Kitchen restaurants. Sold in 12-pack variety packs at Minnesota liquor stores now.
- Berry Inferno – Peach, blueberry, and raspberry
- Knicker Twist – Passion fruit, pineapple, and orange
- Mean Green – Kiwi, lime, mint, and pineapple
- That’s Forked – Key Lime, vanilla, and graham
- No. 19.1 Finn’s Finest – A strong, robust in flavor, pale ale with balanced hop and malt bills.
- No. 41 Champagne IPA – Tapped in late May, this IPA is described as “bright, clean, and dry.”
It’s the opening day of the Biergarten today so we thought we would release a new beer. No. 41 Champagne IPA a bright, clean and dry IPA. Here’s to spring and great days ahead #hoopsbrewing #thefriendlybeerhall #MemorialDayWeekend pic.twitter.com/4MzvPWenSM
— Hoops Brewing (@hoopsbrewing) May 28, 2021
- Mysterious Ravine: Version 1 – Kicking off a new series of fruited, tart sour IPAs. 7% ABV.
- Western Skyline:Version 1 – Top Flight Selection
Have you ever enjoyed one of Forager Brewery's Methode' Hop Pops? How about your favorite childhood fruit stripe gum?
🍺 Austin Jevne
🎨 Elin Johnson
🏷 Ashley Holst pic.twitter.com/h6GPMe7dWt
— Humble Forager (@HumbleForager) June 1, 2021
Inver Grove Brewing Co.
- Jodi’s Joy – A 5.5% ABV rhubarb crisp-inspired kettle sour made with rhubarb and strawberry for a tart beer with residual sweetness.
Junkyard Brewing Co.
- King of the Monsters – A sour ale “bursting with ridiculously, juicy fruits like pineapple and guava, then topped off with dragonfruit to give this sour the perfect sweetness,” Junkyard says. 6.7% ABV.
- I Hope You Like Jammin – A sour ale made with blueberry, blackberry, and black currant for a blend of juicy, sweet, and tart flavors. 6.6% ABV.
👑NEW SOUR RELEASE!👹
King Of The Monsters is bursting with ridiculously, juicy fruits like pineapple and guava, then topped off with dragonfruit to give this sour the perfect sweetness. Together, these tropical fruits create a refreshing sour with a smooth mouthfeel! 6.7% ABV pic.twitter.com/7FRjylBff4
— Junkyard Brewing Co. (@JunkyardBrewing) June 9, 2021
Kinney Creek Brewery
- Med City: Bliss Series – Kinney Creek is expanding its hard seltzer offerings with a new series of “light hard seltzers” with less sugar, fewer carbs, and fewer calories.
NEW ✨BLISS SERIES✨ LIGHT HARD SELTZER!
LowER carb, lowER, cal, lowER sugar with the same great taste and quality of a regular Med City Seltzer! What better way to celebrate than with buy 1 get 1 50% off? Happy Hour from 4-6pm tonight – come give this new line a taste! pic.twitter.com/v6hUO7NX17
— Kinney Creek Brewery (@KinneyCreekBrew) June 3, 2021
Lake Monster Brewing
- Blood Orange Citrus IPA – Top Flight Selection
Lakes & Legends Brewing Company
- Dat Dare Hazy – “This peach forward on the nose beer has a soft pillowy mouthfeel and uses MN grown ingredients,” the brewery says. 7.2% ABV.
Lakeville Brewing Co.
- Play Date – The first in a new series, this beer is a collaboration with Barrel Theory, brewed to celebrate Lakeville’s fifth anniversary. “This hazy IPA is packed full of Nelson Sauvin and Galaxy hops from New Zealand,” the brewpub says, with a dank aroma and tasting notes of fresh nectarine, peach and a hint of white wine.
Left Hand Brewing Co.
- Good Juju – The ginger pale ale returns this month.
- Wook Bait – A new year-round beer with citrus and tropical flavors.
— Left Hand Brewing Company (@LeftHandBrewing) May 13, 2021
Luce Line Brewing Co.
- Mountain Traverse – Tapped today, this wheat IPA features Sultana, El Dorado, and XJA2 hops. It’s a hazy IPA with “notes of overripe pineapple, candied melon, stone fruit, and gooseberry with a subtle but balanced bitterness,” the brewery says. 6.9% ABV, 45 IBU.
Modist Brewing Co.
- Alien Angels – On tap on Saturday and in cans next week, this New England-style IPA adds rye to the grain bill along with a hop blend that includes Strata, Mosaic, Mosaic Cryo, and Sabro Cryo at various points in brewing.
- Esoteric Eclecticism – A collaboration with Cerebral Brewing (Denver, CO), this a double dry-hopped oak-aged Pilsner that taps on Saturday and hits liquor stores beginning next Tuesday.
Introducing Alien Angels, a New England IPA w/ malted rye, flaked rye, hopped and double dry hopped w/ Strata, Mosaic, Mosaic Cryo & Sabro Cryo
— modistbrewing (@ModistBrewing) June 7, 2021
Number 12 Cider
- Uncle Fitz – Top Flight Selection
- Double Fruit Blueberry Anutart – A heavily fruited sour ale with blueberries. 5% ABV.
- Summer Squishy – A 5% ABV summer sour made with pineapple, coconut, lactose, vanilla, and sea salt.
OMNI Brewing Co.
- My Goldfish, Goldie –A 5.5% ABV Kveik golden ale.
🐻 New Release 🐻
🍺 My Goldfish, Goldie 🍺
Style: Kviek Golden Ale
ABV: 5.5% pic.twitter.com/enVZ1S1UHd
— OMNI Brewing Co. (@OMNIBrewing) June 9, 2021
Schram Haus Brewery
- Hullabaloo – A Munich-style Helles lager with sweet malt flavors, low bitterness, and a light body.
- Old 212 – “Old 212 is a West Coast IPA with notes of pine, citrus, melon and of course hops,” the brewery says.
- Red, White & Blue Milkshake IPA – A new milkshake IPA featuring the patriotic color profile of raspberry, blueberry, and lactose additions. “This IPA is a delicious blend of sweet, tart and bitter that makes it perfect for enjoying on a hot summer day,” Schram Haus says.
Snarky Loon Brewing Co.
- Lemon Cookie Kolsch – A limited release beer to help raise funds for Girl Scouts.
Spilled Grain Brewhouse
- Hipster Haze – A 6.4% ABV hazy IPA that tapped last weekend.
Stacked Deck Brewing Co.
- Raspberry Astronaut Sauce – A sour ale with raspberry that’s a balance between tart and sour. 6.0% ABV and sold in 4-packs of 12-ounce cans.
- West Side Horizons – “Our first west coast IPA release is hopped with Simcoe and Amarillo and is crisp, clean, well balanced and perfect for a hot summer day,” Stacked Deck says. 6.5% ABV and sold in 4-packs of 16-ounce cans.
Swinging Barrel Brewing Co.
- Rococo Bang – A coconut porter, on tap and in Crowlers now.
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company
- West Coast IPA – A 6.6% ABV West Coast-style IPA and a limited release as part of the Fourier Series.
ON TAP TOMORROW: Our brand new West Coast IPA.
Only two kegs of this one exist, so come enjoy this old school classic with us this week. pic.twitter.com/zOs12Vsizy
— Tin Whiskers Brewery (@TinWhiskersBrew) June 8, 2021
Waconia Brewing Company
- Naked Blonde – Tapped on Tuesday in Waconia. Released
- Raspberry Blonde – On tap, today, in Waconia.
Wooden Hill Brewing Company
- Macro – Returning to taps (and Crowlers), this is a crisp Pilsner lager made with German noble hops. 5.5% ABV.
Venn Brewing Company
- Fruitality: Peach Pie – A smoothie-style beer made with peaches, graham cracker, cinnamon, and lactose.
Behold, the newest addition to the Fruitality Smoothie beer series: Peach Pie!
Peaches, graham cracker, cinnamon, & lactose, it’s summer in a glass, perfect for patios, pools, and picnic blankets.#NOTasour #smoothiebeer #peachpiebeer #patiobeer pic.twitter.com/8b608Annbh
— Venn Brewing (@vennbrewing) June 10, 2021
Beers just announced
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- Conspicuous Consumption – To tap at the brewery soon, this Modist collaboration is a grissette with raspberry and black currant.
- Farm Lunch – An upcoming mixed fermentation barrel-fermented sour ale with cherries and vanilla.
Great Lakes Brewing Company
- Tidal Fury – Great Lakes has packaged its first imperial hazy IPA, brewed with a mix of Trident, Zappa, and Simcoe hops. “Tidal Fury Imperial Hazy IPA swirls up a tempest of tropical fruit aromas and flavors,” the Ohio brewery says, with notes of passion fruit, citrus, and pine complemented by a soft bitterness. 8.0% ABV, 40 IBU. Sold in 4-packs of 16-ounce cans later this month.
Lift Bridge Brewing Company
- Farm Girl – A new Farm Girl? Now 13 years-old, Lift Bridge is revamping the flagship as a new look golden ale that hits liquor stores on June 21: first in variety packs, followed soon after in 6- and 12-packs. 5.5% ABV.
- Ribfest Beer – A 5% ABV beer with Minnesota musician Steve Murphy on the can.
This beer was brewed in loving memory of Minnesota Music Hall of Fame inductee Steve Murphy. Check out @KEYCNewsNow tonight starting at 6pm to learn more.
We will keep you posted as they start to be ordered in stores. Can't wait for RibFest 2021 at @VSamphitheater pic.twitter.com/m8hnFwvINC
— Mankato Brewery (@MankatoBrewery) June 9, 2021
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company
- TBA – A collaboration with Wooden Ship Brewing Co. is currently in the works.
— Tin Whiskers Brewery (@TinWhiskersBrew) June 8, 2021
Have a new beer we should know about? Send the details to email@example.com for inclusion in Freshies.