Pride in Brewing Scholarship
The Beer Dabbler Proudly Announces Scholarship For Aspiring Brewers from the LGBTQ+ Community
Partnership with Dakota County Technical College will help support a scholarship to their Certificate in Brewing & Beer Steward Technology Program
Gray Duck Media, parent company to The Beer Dabbler, The Growler Magazine, and Twin Cities Pride Magazine, feels strongly that the craft beer industry is strengthened, not impeded, by diversity. After receiving a homophobic email from a Minnesota brewery in response to an invitation to participate in the 2018 Beer Dabbler at Twin Cities Pride, Gray Duck Media was inspired to take action in a positive way.
“One of my favorite things about craft beer is the diversity of the stories and backgrounds of the individuals who have come to be a part of this community. There is no room for bigotry or ignorance in this industry, so we want to do what we can to keep promoting a culture of inclusion in Minnesota’s craft beer scene.” -Matt Kenevan, owner of The Beer Dabbler and publisher of The Growler
Through contributions from Gray Duck Media, donations from breweries, individuals and fund-raising events, $12,000 will be raised to fund this scholarship, covering the cost of tuition and fees for one student identifying as LGBTQ+ enrolled in the Brewing & Beer Steward Technology program for the 2019-2020 academic year. The 21-credit, two-semester program requires completion of an internship and begins in late August. The program provides students with a solid understanding of brewing science, engineering, management and service.
Interested applicants are strongly encouraged to apply for the PRIDE in Brewing Scholarship provided you meet the following requirements:
- Acceptance into the Brewing & Beer Steward Technology program for 2019-2020 and fulfillment of all standards set by the Dakota County Technical College for scholarship and enrollment eligibility
- Self-identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, queer/questioning (LGBTQ+)
- Aged 21+
- Show documented leadership, support, involvement or activism in organizations, activities, or issues that promote equality for the LGBTQ+ community
- Include a 1,000-word personal essay sharing their story along with the scholarship application
Application Process & Timeline
Scholarship applications for the 2019 spring semester will be accepted starting in mid-September through the end of October, 2019. Decisions will be made mid-December. Apply at: www.dctc.edu/scholarships
The Pride in Brewing Scholarship will be awarded annually provided enough funds are raised each year to cover the full ride. If no qualified applicants apply, the money raised will be carried forward to the next semester's scholarship campaign.
About Gray Duck Media - Gray Duck Media is an independent publishing house based in St. Paul, Minnesota, producing quality content for clients through events, publications, and integrated marketing. We engage the communities we serve by sharing experiences and programming from new and interesting perspectives.
About DCTC - Dakota County Technical College, in Rosemount, Minnesota endeavors to serve students in nearby communities, as well as those coming from countries around the world. Students select from nearly 50 majors ranging from Brewing & Beer Steward Technology to Practical Nursing, Electrical Construction & Maintenance to Information Systems Management, Early Childhood & Youth Development to Interior Design to name just a few. The college’s mission is “education for employment.” The college’s employees and students firmly believe in appreciating differences, honoring those who serve, demonstrating dignity and respect, valuing and celebrating diversity and empowering success for all.
Interested in supporting the PRIDE In Brewing Scholarship?
- Help us give the gift of a brewing education by following this link to make a donation at the DCTC Foundation (please write in PRIDE in Brewing Scholarship in designated space)
- Hold a brewery fundraising event, for more information email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Attend one of our Pride in Brewing fundraising events where $1 from each pint sold goes directly to support the scholarship fund:
April 8, 2020
Indeed Brewing Co.
5pm - 9pm
Special thanks to the following companies who have made generous contributions to make this scholarship possible: