Welcome to Beer Dabbler’s Freshies, our weekly rundown on the newest beers hitting the store shelves and taproom coolers in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries.
Classic beer styles and modern modifications continue to set the summer tone with Freshies. From Kolsch-style ales to Pilsners with made with New World hops, we continue to see an homage to the originals and plenty of new takes too.
Crisp and refreshing continue to lead the descriptors, whether it’s a light lager, IPA or fruited sour. What new twists are on tap with saisons, farmhouse ales, and summer stouts?
Keep reading, and prepare to make a lengthy shopping list while doing so.
Each week, the Beer Dabbler team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers that we’re most excited to try.
612Brew Basic Instinct – A dank and piney West Coast-style IPA with notes of orange marmalade and grapefruit zest, the brewery says. 7.2% ABV.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative Bridging & Bonding – “Bridging & Bonding marries traditional brewing techniques with a forward-thinking approach to IPA making,” Fair State says of this collaboration with Third Space (WI). “We’ve designed a beer that utilizes an old school cereal mash and the latest in hop technology. This beer uses locally-grown raw wheat, corn grits, and malted red wheat for a hint of sweetness and a soft malt body, and is slammed with hand-selected Mosaic, Columbus Cryo, and a Cryo hop blend focused on mango aromatics.” 6.4% ABV, on draft, and sold in 4-packs in stores.
Indeed Brewing Company Tangerine Cream Ale – This new beer is “Crushable with refreshing tangerine notes on top of a crackery malt base,” the brewery says. 5.5% ABV, 15 IBU.
Nine Mile Brewing Dinna Fash – Tapped in late June, this Giesenbräu collaboration is a Scottish-style export ale with balanced yet matly flavors: “malty, bready, and a wee bit nutty,” Nine Mile says, “with ribbons of light caramel and a hint of toastiness.”
Pryes Brewing Co. Comet Kisser – A small batch taproom exclusive, “Comet Kisser was brewed with rye and red wheat, giving it a dry, spritzy, and slightly-floral flavor with a hint of spiciness,” Pryes says. 5.6% ABV and available on Saturday.
New beers available this week
14 Lakes Brewery
- Wild Berry Sour
22 Northmen Brewing Company
- Johnny Utah – “Resinous pine with citrusy fruit accents infiltrate this dry IPA,” the brewery says of this dank creation.
3rd Act Craft Brewery
- I Feel Better Now Dave – A 5.8% ABV Kolsch-style ale with tart cherries.
- Pomegranate Hard Sparkling Cooler a 5.0% ABV fruited and alcoholic slushie.
- Lake Hopper – A new flagship West Coast-style IPA, tapped in late June.
- Lil ‘Ssippi – A 4.5% ABV take on ‘Ssippi Squeeze, made with Citra and Mosaic hops. Tapped in late June.
- Pink Pineapple – On tap today and in stores next week, this is a 7% ABV, 10 IBU imperial sour made with pineapple, raspberry, and mango.
- Basic Instinct – Top Flight selection
AEGIR Brewing Company
- Helen – A 5% ABV Keller Pilsner.
- Big Wake – A zero IBU hazy IPA that has no bittering hops, but received a heavy dry-hop addition of Citra Lupulin powder cryo hops, the brewery says. 6% ABV, 0 IBU and on tap now.
- SKÅLPIN – A session IPA with bitter citrus and grapefruit character. 5.2% ABV, 46 IBU.
- Sour Peach Iced Tea Gose – A tart sour ale with a peach tea finish, the brewery says. 4.4% ABV, 9 IBU. Tapped in late June.
Alloy Brewing Company
- Ben’s Minnesota Martini – A light lager with olive juice, pouring 4.3% ABV, 9 IBU and named in honor of beertender Ben.
- Strawberry Earthshake – Alloy’s milkshake IPA, this time with strawberry. 8.1% ABV, 40 IBU.
TWO NEW BEER RELEASES!
Ben's Minnesota Martini 4.3% ABV / 9 IBU Beertender Ben loves a light lager with olive juice
— Alloy Brewing Company (@AlloyBrewingCo) July 8, 2022
- Raspberry Sour – Bemidji’s latest fruited sour is a 4.4% ABV, 7 IBU adds raspberry to its fruity lactic acidity for a “snappy, sweet tart-like finish,” the brewery says.
Chaotic Good Brewing Company
- Loading…Please Wait – A blueberry wheat beer, available as of last Friday.
Elm Creek Brewing Co.
- Creekside: Kooler Kolsch – A crisp and lightly malty German-style ale with Pilsner malt and Hallertau hops. 4.8% ABV and now sold in cans.
- Droptop Lemon Drop – “A refreshing pale ale brewed in collaboration with Ombibulous,” the brewery explains, “This hazy pale ale features citra, Lemondrop and Motueka. Bringing you bright lemon and citrus tones paired with subtle melon flavors.” 5.3% ABV and sold exclusively at Ombibulous liquor store in Minneapolis.
- Overanalytic – An amber ale with a light, slightly sweet and malt-forward flavors of caramel and butterscotch. 5.2% ABV. On draft now.
- Sippin’ Steady – The 5.7% ABV hazy pale ale is back on tap now.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- Bridging & Bonding – Top Flight selection
- Whoopsie Button – A 7.1% ABV oak foeder conditioned export stout that is true to style with nuanced notes of vanilla, and chocolate. A taproom exclusive, served on nitro.
Heavy Rotation Brewing Co.
- Campfire Guitar Star – A mildly smokey and slightly sweet porter with toasted marshmallow.
Do you like to bust out the guitar when sitting around the campfire? Yeah? Well we have just the beer for you! Introducing “Campfire Guitar Star” Smoked Porter w/Toasted Marshmallow. Mildly smokey and slightly sweet, this is the perfect summer night beer. Get it today! pic.twitter.com/XeiKTqTq7D
— heavyrotationbrewing (@heavyrotationBP) July 10, 2022
Indeed Brewing Company
- Tangerine Cream Ale – Top Flight selection
Lake Monster Brewing
- Strawberry Rhubarb Ale – A taproom exclusive tart wheat ale with strawberry and rhubarb puree for crisp, yet fruity notes.
Luce Line Brewing Co.
- Cherry on Top – A 5.5% ABV hard seltzer with cherry and lime flavors.
- FreshPow – “A bright, extremely refreshing Belgian witbier brewed with orange peel and coriander,” the brewery says. Expect notes of ripe citrus, lemon, and subtle spice. 5.6% ABV.
- Up in the Sky Hazy IPA – A soft and cloudy hazy IPA with grapefruit, lime, melon, and other tropical fruits flavors from its three hop recipe. 7.3% ABV%.
Lupulin Brewing Company
- Radiant Roadrunner – A double dry-hopped triple IPA with flavors of pineapple, coconut, melon, and citrus. Both soft and dank, the brewery says, and 11% ABV. On draft now and coming to liquor stores soon.
- Rop Terps – A very limited beer, tapped Monday, made in collaboration with Glassworks
Sunday Funday Alert!
We are celebrating 7/10 with our homies over at Legacy Glassworks by releasing another collaboration beer and a pop up shop. Here are the deets:
"Trop Terps" will be dropping Sunday right at 12pm when we open. We have a very, VERY limited amount o… pic.twitter.com/m1t3Nr598t
— LynLake Brewery (@LynLakeBrewery) July 8, 2022
Mana Brewing Co.
Newly open in Shakopee, as of this week, the initial lineup features:
- American Ale
- American IPA
- Cream Ale
- German Hefeweizen
- Tropical Stout
- Hopbiscus Sour IPA – “A concoction of powerful elements: tart hibiscus tea, sour flavor and a crispy hop profile,” Mankato Brewery says. On draft at the brewery and sold in their latest mixed pack.
- Tangerine Tart – A puckering fruited sour that came out in June. On draft at the brewery and sold in their summer sample pack.
Mineral Springs Brewery
- Rice Lake Lager – “The Rice Lake area in eastern Steele County historically was known for hunting game and harvesting wild rice, now serving all as a relaxing State Park,” the brewery says, noting its local and historic inspiration.
Modist Brewing Co.
- Midwest Mindset – A double dry-hopped New England-style IPA with Mosaic, Citra, Idaho 7, Mosaic Cryo, Citra Cryo, Idaho 7 cryo, and Ekuanot cryo., brewed in collaboration with More Brewing (IL).
- Mother Cactus – This collaboration sour ale has added blue agave nectar, prickly pear, and lime. Made with Mother Co. Plants in Saint Paul.
Moose Lake Brewing Company
- Bombsicle Seltzer – Tapped for pairing with Fourth of July fireworks.
Nine Mile Brewing
- Dinna Fash – Top Flight selection
- Inverted Feather – A New England-style double IPA built on locan Pilsner and Golden Promise malt. The overall beer offers flavors of candied pineapple, ripe melon, mango, and tangerine with dank tones, the brewery says. 8.6% ABV.
- Thiolized West Coast IPA – “Gobs of Calypso hops were added to the mash to unleash their bound thiols,” Nine Mile says, along with additions of Eureka Salvo and Strata CGX in the whirlpool, and Negget CGX in dry-hopping, which combine for flavors of passion fruit, guava, citrus, and pine. 6.4% ABV.
- Tripel Point – A Trappist-style tripel with notes of candied lemon, grass, pear, apple, citrus, and light pepper. A crisp yet full-bodied beer with a dry finish.
Northbound Smokehouse & Brewpub
- Defector – A doppelbock aged in bourbon and red wine barrels for cherry, spice, and bourbon character. “The flavor gives us malty depths that get wrapped up with the spiced wine tastes for a truly unique beer experience,” says Northbound. 8.5% ABV, 18 IBU. Tapped two weeks ago.
- Double Czech Pilsner – An amped up version of Pravy Pilsner at 7.8% ABV, 36 IBU.
- Meanwhile IPA – A white wheat IPA with a slightly fruity malt bill, pluss notes of pineapple, peach, and stone fruit.
- Standish Lager – A light and crispy premium American lager with subtle fruitiness and nutty notes.
OMNI Brewing Co.
- Crimson Crush – A shandy notes of pomegranate and lemon, brewed in honor of Maple Grove Days.
Pryes Brewing Co.
- Comet Kisser – Top Flight selection
Rivers & Rails Brewing Company
- Agassiz Amber
- Soo Fine Saison
Venn Brewing Company
- Sultan of Swat – A 7.0% ABV hazy IPA brewed with Sultana, Citra, and Hallertau Blanc hops.
Waconia Brewing Company
- Juicy Lucy – A light pale ale with grapefruit, mango, and peach-like flavors. 5.4% ABV, 15 IBU.
It’s a beautiful day for a beer release! “Juicy Lucy” Pale Ale is available at 2pm today! This light pale ale was brewed with Centennial and Simcoe hops that give juicy flavors of grapefruit, mango and peach. 5.4%, 45 IBU
Minnesota’s Original Brat Dogs 4-8pm! Cheers! ? pic.twitter.com/48dSymExEY
— Waconia Brewing Co. (@WaconiaBrewing) July 8, 2022
Wicked Wort Brewing Co.
- Bee Berry Summer Shandy – “We took our classic wheat beer base and made the body even lighter, then brought in a custom blend of fruits to keep this beer extra refreshing,” the Robbinsdale brewery says, including the addition of local wildflower honey for a subtly sweet finish.
Wild Mind Ales
- Beach Ball Burrito A new smoothie sour ale with vanilla, marshmallow fluff, many, and coconut. 6.5% ABV.
Wooden Hill Brewing Co.
- Dry Bean – The coffee blonde ale is back now. This 6.4% ABV infusion is on tap now and also available in to-go Crowlers.
- Hop Fizz – A brut IPA, 7% ABV and effervescent with a dry hop profile of Mosaic, El Dorado, and Mckenzie hops.
- Strawberry Lime Shandy – A new Kolsch-style cocktail with house-made strawberry lime purée and garnished with fresh strawberries and a lime wedge, only available in-house in Edina.
Have a new beer we should know about? Send the details to firstname.lastname@example.org for inclusion in Freshies.