Welcome to Beer Dabbler’s Freshies, our weekly rundown on the newest beers hitting the store shelves and taproom coolers in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries.
Memorial Day Weekend is a time to honor loved ones as well as a kickoff to the summer. Thematically, most new beers are focused on campgrounds and bonfires, with lazy pontoons, lawnmowing, and even the Minnesota State Fair in mind.
Charity continues to play a prominent role as well. As Mental Health Awareness Month concludes, many local breweries are still pouring Things We Don’t Say IPA, and when the calendar flips on Tuesday, the focus will shift toward Pride month, in addition to other causes.
Each week, the Beer Dabbler team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers that we’re most excited to try.
22 Northmen Sol Axe – “Our first mixed culture beer is here and this barrel-aged release was made for summer. It was primarily fermented with kveik providing an ester-forward base to age in Calvados brandy barrels with a mixed culture in the cave for over a year. This light, dry, golden ale has a nuanced tartness and a fruity complexity with wood accents,” the brewery says.
Dangerous Man Mexican Chocolate Double Stout – “A rich chocolate double stout with a lingering zip of spice,” the brewery says of this stout with espresso beans, cacao nibs, vanilla beans, arbol chili peppers, cinnamon, and lactose. 10.4% ABV.
HeadFlyer So Clean Clean – “This crisp, refreshing light lager features rice and 6-row malt to keep the body clean and refreshing,” the brewery says.
Luce Line Glacial Lakes Hazy Rye – “The rye pale ale is a soft and juicy pale ale brewed with malted rye and hopped with Simcoe, Amarillo, and Cascade hops. Expect a soft and full mouthfeel with a hint of spice from the rye alongside a light bitterness and bold hop aromatics and hop flavor consisting of dank pine, passionfruit, orange, and grapefruit,” the brewery says.
Summit Horizon Red IPA – Available for the first time since 2017, this red IPA is sold in the Mixed Pack: IPA Edition, now available at liquor stores.
New beers available this week
- 777 Pale Ale – A 6% ABV pale ale featuring Idaho 7 hops for flavors of stone fruit and pine.
- Raspberry Sour – An easy-drinking 3.7% ABV summer beer with tart raspberry.
- You Betcha’ – The 5.3% ABV amber ale is back on tap now.
- Foggy Morning Haze – “This double dry hopped NE IPA is full of Huell Melon, Simcoe, and El Dorado hops. A hazy beer with melon, citrus, and pineapple flavors and low bitterness. ABV 6.6%,” the brewery says.
Raspberry Sour is on tap today at 4 pm today! We used 84 lbs of everyone's favorite tart berry for a summer crusher. Only 3.7% which makes for a perfect lake beer, beach beer, bbq beer, bonfire beer, you get the idea… pic.twitter.com/7zIjQ86kK8
— 10K Brewing (@10kbrewing) May 18, 2021
22 Northmen Brewing Company
- Sol Axe – Top Flight selection.
608 Brewing Company
- Death By Camper – Available on tap and in 4-packs, this is a pastry stout with marshmallow, banana, chocolate, peanut butter, and graham cracker. 6.9% ABV.
Alloy Brewing Company
- Lava Flow – New in the What Happened!? series, this is a high-octane cream ale. “Notes of strawberry, banana, coconut, and pineapple all meld deliciously together in this refreshingly sweet cream ale,” the brewery says, with rum notes coming with rum flavors from being aged on oak staves.
Dangerous Man Brewing Company
- Mexican Chocolate Double Stout – Top Flight selection.
- Braaaaaaaains – A dragonfruit tropical smoothie sour ale, with added lactose, sea salt, and vanilla. 7.6% ABV.
- Lemon Meringue Pie Secret Handshake – Available today, this milkshake IPA was made with a bunch of hops, plus lemon, marshmallows, graham cracker, lactose, and vanilla beans.
- Never Have I Ever – A double IPA, available today, with a soft body and big juice profile with notes of orange, mango, peach, lime, and pineapple. 8% ABV.
The 1st beer on Friday’s release is a brand new Braaaaaaaains that we loaded up with passionfruit, more passionfruit, and then if you can believe it, EVEN MORE PASSIONFRUIT!!! Then we hit it with our double secret smoothie treatment of sea salt, lactose, and pic.twitter.com/3hocykfD4J
— Drekker Brewing (@DrekkerBrewing) May 25, 2021
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- Lager Party Foamers – This weekend, Fair State is serving several one-off variants of Crankin’ Foamers in their beer garden to help kick off the summer season, including: Foamers Lime, Foamers Grapefruit, and Foamers Mango.
- Superclear – A 4.5% ABV German-style Pilsner with a delicate malt bill and lemony, grassy hop flavors.
Giesenbräu Bier Co.
- CHP Lite – A 4.0% ABV light American lager with light, bright, and bubbly character.
- Joe Scouts – A smoked porter at 5.6% ABV named after the late father and father-in-law of the brewery’s owners. A portion of proceeds will be donated to Friends of the Boundary Waters Wilderness.
- Lemmiwinks with Pineapple – A light-bodied, tart Berliner Weisse wheat sour ale. 3.2% ABV.
Hayes’ Public House
- Cline’s Fine Malt Liquor with Lemon – Now on tap, this beer brewed in collaboration with Tunes on Tuesday host Jake Cline is described as crisp, clean, and infused “with a hint of lemon.” 7.5% ABV, 25 IBU.
- Babe the Blue – A smooth lager with a sweet finish and big blueberry flavor.
- So Clean Clean – Top Flight selection.
Humble Forager Brewery
- Humble Bumble: Citrus Version 1 – A 5% ABV canned hard seltzer with calamansi, blood orange, tangerine, orange blossom honey, and staghorn sumac blossoms.
When we set out on this distribution brewery journey, we knew that we wanted to create a variety of brews that could be enjoyed across a wide range of activities. pic.twitter.com/Di9ZzHwGzB
— Humble Forager (@HumbleForager) May 23, 2021
Inver Grove Brewing Co.
- Goose Is Loose – “Loaded with Lupomax Sabro and a crap ton of Strata hops, this beer is loaded with a soft mouthfeel and packs an aromatic punch! Stone Fruit, citrus, pineapple, and a touch of coconut,” Inver Grove Brewing says. 6.2% ABV, 20 IBU.
Invictus Brewing Co.
- Alma: Sun’s Out, Fun’s Out – A blueberry lemonade flavor in the brewery’s line of hard seltzers.
Say Hello to Sun's Out, Fun's Out Blueberry Lemonade Seltzer pic.twitter.com/Q5Jn7Xs2aj
— InvictusBrewingCo (@InvictusBrewCo) May 25, 2021
Junkyard Brewing Co.
- Can’t You Hear Me Knocking? – A New England-style IPA with tangerine and pineapple-like flavors as well as an herbal, spice note, the brewery says of this IPA made with a blend of Citra and Idaho 7 hops.
- Old Red Lion – On tap for the first time in nearly three years, this English-style ale offers toast English malt flavors with a crisp and subtle hop p[resence. 4.6% ABV.
- Sky Candy – A “fruit snacks sour,” this beer was made with mango and Brazilian guava, also called feijoa. “Feijoa leads this sour with a pleasant tartness and unique candy-like flavors. It tastes and smells like Air Heads or Starburst,” the Moorhead brewery says.
Take a sip of this NE IPA & enter a world of mystery and wonder created by a blend of Citra and Idaho 7 Hops. This duo gives the beer fruit flavors like tangerine and pineapple followed by a touch of herbal spice. This hop blend creates a dank beer w/ a resinous hop character! pic.twitter.com/n5lDc58026
— Junkyard Brewing Co. (@JunkyardBrewing) May 21, 2021
Kinney Creek Brewery
- Things We Don’t Say IPA – A 7.5% ABV New England-style IPA brewed collaboratively to raise awareness of mental health issues.
Lagunitas Brewing Company
- StereoHopic Vol. 2 – The second edition in this series of West Coast-style IPAs. This recipe features Elixir and Loral hops.
Lake Monster Brewing
- Northmade Lemon Zest Pale Ale – A citrus-forward pale ale with lemon zest, brewed to celebrate Lake Monster’s new business park neighbor, Northmade Co. A limited Pilot Batch series release.
- Zanetti’s Premium Pils – A dry-hopped and unfiltered Italian-style Pilsener.
Lift Bridge Brewing Company
- Mini Donut Beer – Making an early appearance in 2021 at the “Kickoff to Summer at the Fair” event. Available at Ballpark Cafe, 4.7% ABV and, as always, served in a cinnamon sugar-rimmed glass.
Luce Line Brewing Co.
- Glacial Lakes Hazy Rye – Top Flight selection.
- Peach Beach Blonde Ale – A dry-hopped light and fruited blonde ale with tea. The beer offers crisp, cracker-like notes from the 2-row base malt, plus peach and floral notes.
Lupine Brewing Company
- Anna’s Lemon Tart – New in the Dessert Beer Series which, starting now, is rebranded as Anna’s Bakeshop. “[This beer] is packed with lemon flavor, backed by a subtle biscuity sweetness to match the shortbread crust,” Lupine says.
- Raspberry Lemonade – A 5.5% ABV hard seltzer.
- Omega Wolf – A crisp and sour Berliner weisse with pomegranate. 5% ABV.
- Spritz – A lemon-lime golden ale sold in the current sampler pack.
Modist Brewing Co.
- Fruitropolis – This imperial smoothie sour is made with milk sugar, blueberry, blackberry, and black currant. On tap Saturday and in liquor stores beginning next Tuesday.
- Truth Sequence – A West Coast-style take on False Pattern pale ale. On tap this Saturday and in liquor stores next week.
Introducing Fruitropolis Blueberry Blackberry Black Currant, our Imperial Smoothie Sour w/ milk sugar, double blueberry, double blackberry & double black currant
— modistbrewing (@ModistBrewing) May 24, 2021
Montgomery Brewing Company
- Lemon Sass – Available today in advance of Sunday’s Can-Can celebration.
- Sour Razz – To tap this Saturday.
- Unihorn – A New England-style IPA brewed with Styrian Dragon hops, plus dragon fruit, guava, and lactose.
Moose Lake Brewing Company
- Crazy Camper – A 5.2% ABV apricot cream ale.
- Lumberjack Baes – “Brewed in collaboration with the Lolo family of restaurants, this 6.9%ABV hazy IPA hopped with Citra, Mosaic, and Amarillo is available across Wisconsin and Minnesota in extremely limited cans and on tap exclusively at Lolo Hudson, Lolo Stillwater, Lolito, and Proper,” Oliphant explains.
OMNI Brewing Co.
- Mango Melt – A mango-fruited smoothie sour ale. Watch Beer Dabbler’s full Dabbler in a Box – Season 7 episode about Melt here.
FORGET THE MESS!!! Instead, grab a 4-pack of Melt Mango, the latest from OMNI's Melt smoothie sour series.
Everything else will just work itself out, you'll see.
-B. Blendz pic.twitter.com/jPZEfX6ayh
— OMNI Brewing Co. (@OMNIBrewing) May 21, 2021
Pryes Brewing Co.
- Lime Hard Seltzer – Tapped at the brewery this week.
- Royal Pineapple – A new limited release.
We have two brand new taps to help beat the heat this weekend. Introducing our new Lime Hard Seltzer + Royal Pineapple Sour. On tap and in crowlers now! pic.twitter.com/Kz4wpqmoXK
— Pryes Brewing Co. (@PryesBrewing) May 21, 2021
Rogue Ales & Spirits
- Combat Wombat – A summer seasonal sour IPA. 6.7% ABV.
Think you know your significant other? Tag them below and guess which of these beers they're drinking👀
💀 Dead Guy Ale
🍯 Honey Kolsch
🍊 Combat Wombat
🍫 Chocolate Stout Nitro pic.twitter.com/tdrrPDR1PF
— Rogue Ales & Spirits (@RogueAles) May 23, 2021
- Fun Bus – A just-tapped 7.8% ABV double dry-hopped hazy IPA made in collaboration with Drastic Measures.
— Shakopee BrewHall (@shakobrewhall) May 25, 2021
Stacked Deck Brewing Co.
- Interdimensional Awareness – An 8.3% ABV double IPA dry-hopped with both Mosaic and Galaxy hops. On tap and also sold in 4-packs of 16-ounce cans.
Summit Brewing Company
- EPA – Far from a new beer, but Summit is selling its original, award-winning extra pale ale, in retro packaging now.
- Horizon Red IPA – Top Flight selection.
After 35 years, with the exception of a few slight alterations, Summit Extra Pale Ale's caramel malts and earthy hops still remain the same. Learn more: https://t.co/xaKs4BkBUg #EPAaDay #SummitBeer pic.twitter.com/ni2Ual1V0A
— Summit Brewing (@summitbeer) May 19, 2021
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company
- Rings of Saturn – A pineapple upside-down cake pastry sour, available on tap at the brewery this weekend.
Your Mission: Be one of the first to try Rings of Saturn, our brand new Pineapple Upside Down Cake Pastry Sour.
The Plan: Head to the taproom this weekend, where we're tapping the first ever kegs.
— Tin Whiskers Brewery (@TinWhiskersBrew) May 24, 2021
- Libidinous – Hefeweizen
Enjoy a glimpse of summer outside and in a fresh pint of Libidinous, Hefeweizen, this week's Tuesday's Beer. $2 of your pint today will go to support @PGYB_Minnesota connect our heroes to the community resources they need to thrive and succeed. Great beer and karma too! pic.twitter.com/b0og1DLpLN
— Torg Brewery (@TorgBrewery) May 25, 2021
Venn Brewing Company
- Comet Pale Ale
Waconia Brewing Company
- Single Hop Series: Centennial – First brewed in 2017, this single-hopped ale offers orange, citrus, and fruity flavors with a bitter finish. 7.5% ABV, 50 IBU.
War Pigs Brewing
- Bouffant Jellyfish – A sour ale with passion fruit and guava.
— WarPigs Brewing USA (@WarPigsBrewing) May 26, 2021
Warrior Brewing Company
Now open in the former Lake Superior Brewing location in Duluth, Warrior is a veteran-owned brewery that is selling in liquor stores as they ramp up production. Click here to read Beer Dabbler’s Now Open or Damn Close article about Warrior Brewing Company.
- Barbarian Imperial Stout
- Patriot Lactose Double IPA
- Valkyrie Golden Honey Ale
Wild Mind Ales
- Gramma Rodeo – A hazy IPA double-hopped with Amarillo, Simcoe, Motueka, and Idaho 7, imparting tropical fruit flavors at a 6.5% ABV. On tap and available in Crowlers.
Beers just announced
Modist Brewing Co.
- Deviant Minds – Tapping at a Saturday, June 5 celebration, this beer launches nonprofit Deviant Minds, dedicated to supporting LGBTQIA+ community members in the hospitality and service industries in Minnesota. Inspired by the Palmona cocktail, the beer is a gose with grapefruit, key lime, sea salt, and blue agave nectar and was brewed by LGBTQIA+ identifying folx from multiple breweries and distilleries in Minnesota and Wisconsin.
Have a new beer we should know about? Send the details to firstname.lastname@example.org for inclusion in Freshies.