Welcome to Beer Dabbler’s Freshies, our weekly rundown on the newest beers hitting the store shelves and taproom coolers in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries.
Whether traveling North to hit the lakes and cool off, or to imbibe at All Pints North next to the big lake, this week sees a wide and varied roster of newly tapped, canned, and bottled beers. Summer flavors include light-body coffee drinks, lemonade, hefeweizen, and rice lagers, but also more experimental fare, such as pickle beers, strawberry rhubarb, and more.
‘Tis the season for summer seasonals. Because we’ll be toasting Prost! very, very soon.
Each week, the Beer Dabbler team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers that we’re most excited to try.
Angry Inch Barrel-Aged Resolution Ale – To tap on Sunday, this is a 10.7%, 31 IBU gluten-reduced white wine saison made with Pinot Grigio grapes, further aged in French oak Chardonnay barrels. According to the brewery’s tasting notes, expect: “Fresh pressed grape nose with hints of tart berries, tart Pinot Grigio–like middle, medium body, with a slightly warm oaky finish.”
Disgruntled Earthless Coil – An 8.0% ABV sour double IPA, Disgruntled notes “grapefruit, melon, white grape sweetness upfront and a wine-like dry finish.” Brewed in collaboration with Elm Creek Brewing.
Drekker Revenge of the Hippies – A double IPA with oats, spelt, and a combination of Mosaic, Citra, Azacca, and Mosaic Spectrum. Expect big dry hop-like flavors with a smooth and mellow body, the brewery says. 8% ABV.
Lakeville Farmhouse Ready – “Niagara grapes from New York, cape gooseberries from Columbia, and Minnesota malts are all layered within this special ale that is topped off by nasturtiums, gem marigolds and a touch of honey, all from Waxwing Farm in Webster,” the brewpub says of this beer, with a peppery and dry Belgian yeast to bring it all together. On tap now and also pouring at All Pints North. 7.9% ABV.
OMNI It’s Good To Be The King – Part of OMNI’s Kveik series, this Finnish-style Sahti ale without hops offers juniper, smoke, rye, peanut, and citrus flavors at 10.1% ABV.
New beers available this week
608 Brewing Company
- Betaburst – A 6% hazy IPA with peach and tangerine notes with a slightly lower summer-friendly ABV.
Able Seedhouse + Brewery
- Raspberry Hibiscus Wheat Ale – A summer seasonal.
RASPBERRY HIBISCUS WHEAT ALE is our newest beer you can enjoy on our patio. It’s light, fruity, and a perfectly balanced summer sipper. pic.twitter.com/2ZQfXIueFw
— Able Seedhouse + Brewery (@AbleBrewery) July 22, 2021
AEGIR Brewing Company
- Stacy’s Mom Double Hazy IPA – A 9.5% ABV hazy double IPA described as “by far the juiciest hazy we’ve put out.” Made with Citra and Cashmere hops, it pours at 9.5% ABV.
- I’m Your Huckleberry – “A light-bodied sour ale fruited with huckleberries,” the brewery says. 4.6% ABV, 5 IBU.
Alloy Brewing Company
- SMÖÖSHED – A 5% ABV smoothie-style kettle sour with added strawberries and rhubarb.
- T.I.N.G. Hard Soda – Alloy’s latest hard seltzer is named Dew of the Mountain. It’s fizzy, yellow, and 5.5% ABV.
Angry Inch Brewing Company
Lakeville-based Angry Inch is celebrating its fifth anniversary with several special beers on tap this week along with food trucks, beer specials, and swag.
- Barrel Aged Resolution Ale – Top Flight selection.
- Hobos Haze – Recently tapped for the first time since 2018 and made with a then-experimental hop variety now known as Lotus.
- Lonely Monk – A Belgian-style single with stone and tropical fruit flavors in a light and crisp body. 5.1% ABV, 27 IBU. Available beginning this Saturday.
- Ménage à Trois – A Belgian-style tripel, tapped on Thursday, with sweet and heavy stone fruit flavors. 9.4% ABV, 24 IBU.
- True Confessions – Available today, True Confessions is a 7.0% ABV, 23 IBU Belgian-style dubbel. “[It] has a sweet caramel nose, is light in body with hints of dates, raisins, and figs on the finish,” the brewery says.
Arbeiter Brewing Co.
- Beautiful Buzz – A new light-body wildflower honey ale with earthy and mildly fruity notes from the honey and grain bill, with additional tea-like herbal notes from the Akoya hops. Expect a uniquely dry finish, the brewery adds. 5.2% ABV, 29 IBU.
- Vanilla Mocha Stout – Back on tap, this 5.2% ABV, 20 IBU coffee stout offers a blend of beer, chocolate, and vanilla flavors with earthy notes of tobacco and wood in the bouquet.
- Nacht Rider – The schwarzbier is back on tap now.
- Sucker Punch: Zamba – “Very pleasant maltiness underlies a hop profile saturated with sweet tropical fruitiness and candied orange flavors. Clean finish with a nice hoppy bite,” says Arbeiter of their latest IPL.
Back Channel Brewing
- The Lake Maker – A 5.25% ABV American lager.
Bad Habit Brewing Company
- Billy Club – A 5.1% ABV English-style pub ale.
- Samba Mamba – A hazy IPA with notes of pineapple, mango, stone fruits, and orange tangerine. 7.4% ABV.
- Strawberry Smoothie Sour – As the name suggests, this beer was made with a combination of strawberry puree and vanilla.
Bad Weather Brewing Company
- Hitched – A white IPA with grapefruit, originally brewed for a staff wedding and currently on tap for all.
Hitched, White IPA w/ Grapefruit is back at the brewery.
Originally brewed for Head Brewer Andy & his wife Megan’s wedding, it's now available for anyone even if you forgot to mail back the RSVP to the wedding. pic.twitter.com/t5xgyv96S8
— Bad Weather Brewing (@BadWeatherBrew) July 21, 2021
Badger Hill Brewing Company
- Huckleberry F5 Kettle Sour – Tapped this Wednesday at the brewery.
— Badger Hill Brewing (@BadgerHillBeer) July 24, 2021
Beaver Island Brewing Company
- Oktoberfest – The Marzen-style lager is back now.
It’s too dam hot. Guess we’ll just have to down some O-Fest. pic.twitter.com/qKaJHtVGOE
— Beaver Island Brewing Company (@BeaverIslandSTC) July 28, 2021
- Building Blocks: Citra & Oats – A double IPA at 8.0% ABV.
- Pop Culture – Made with the Cryo Pop Blend of hops, this triple IPA has juicy and fruity aromatics and pours at 10.2% ABV.
- Rain Check: Mango, Orange & Raspberry – A 6.0% ABV fruited smoothie seltzer.
- Earthless Coil – Top Flight selection.
- Pour Ol’ Sap – A barrel-aged hazelnut imperial stout, sold in bottles and on draft.
- Evil Natured Robots – “Our crazy soft and juicy IPA hopped with NZH-107 & Mosaic! NZH-107 is a new experimental blend of New Zealand hops with some amazing tropical and citrus fruit flavor and aroma,” the Fargo brewery says of this 8% ABV beer that released last week. Expect notes of peach, guava, lychee, and lime.
- Plop – A fruited hard seltzer made with pineapple, tangerine, cream of coconut, banana, and “a pinch” of nutmeg.
- Revenge of the Hippies – Top Flight selection.
- Slang Du Jour: Raspberry Coconut Crumble – A sour made with raspberries, toasted coconut, granola, sea salt, lactose, and vanilla beans.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- Biere de Coupage – Available for Cellar Saturday on the patio, this 4.5% ABV mixed culture limited, pout offers grapefruit pith, sourdough, and lemon zest notes.
- Slappers Only – A double dry-hopped hazy double IPA showing off a combo Idaho 7 and Idaho 7 Cryo hop profile. The brewery’s tasting notes state: Lemon-lime sprite, hints of pine, tropical, lightly sweet, not overly bitter. 8.2% ABV.
- Rock On Lager – A new lager brewed as part of a national collaboration to promote musicians who lost income during the pandemic-related shutdowns of the past year.
We're excited to announce our new beer Rock on Lager!
Rock On is part of a national collaboration to promote musicians that were hampered during the pandemic.
Rock on will be featured at Blue Plate Restaurants during our many live music performances this summer! pic.twitter.com/uChm66Wmaw
— Freehouse Beer (@FreehouseBeerMN) July 23, 2021
- Puebla Especial – A 4.3% ABV Mexican-style lager: refreshing and perfect for a summer heatwave.
- West Coast Hoppy – Nugget, Chinook, and Centennial hops create a mix of piney and citrus-like flavors in this new West Coast-style IPA.
- Hiking With Pulpit Rock – A pastry seltzer made with kumquat, calamansi, yuzu, and vanilla, made in collaboration with Pulpit Rock Brewing (Decorah, IA). 6% ABV.
The best of friends make for the best of brews.
Austin first met Robert and Justin of @prbrewing six years ago as each were starting their new journey of opening a brewery. The three became fast friends as they ate, drank, and hiked the bluffs of Decorah, Iowa together. pic.twitter.com/0G7HzUurjn
— Humble Forager (@HumbleForager) July 29, 2021
Junkyard Brewing Co.
- Jowls – A fruit-forward sour ale with tart blueberry, juicy tangerine, and mango too. 5.8% ABV.
- Mango Tree Blonde Ale – A mango-forward blonde ale with added honey. Juicy and sweet, the brewery says. And 5.1% ABV too.
Lakeville Brewing Co.
- Farmhouse Ready – Top Flight selection.
Luce Line Brewing Co.
- Dark Helmet Coffee Schwarzbier – A German-style dark lager with added coffee. 4.9% ABV, 24 IBU.
- Hellacious Blonde – A blonde ale with added hibiscus and ginger. “The hibiscus gives the beer a lovely pink hue and a hint of ripe berry flavor, while the ginger adds a delicate spice to the flavor and aroma. Lightly hopped with Belma hops, you’ll notice a subtle strawberry aroma,” Luce Line says. 5.5% ABV, 30 IBU.
Lupulin Brewing Company
- Business Wrestler – A big triple IPA at 11.5% ABV, 100 IBU. On tap at the brewery.
- ドキドキ “Doki Doki – 4.5% ABV rice lager.
- Secret Squishy – A raspberry lemonade-style sour ale with added lactose, vanilla, and sea salt.
OMNI Brewing Co.
- Hefeweizen – A summer seasonal traditional-style wheat beer with banana up-front and subtle clove.
- It’s Good To Be The King – Top Flight selection.
- Melt: Strawberry Lemonade – Tapped at the brewery last week.
Portage Brewing Company
- Coffeecake Blonde Ale – “Our house blonde ale, made with locally roasted Portage Coffee from Kaffe Havn Roastery, vanilla beans, and Ceylon cinnamon,” the brewery says. Back on tap and 5.2% ABV.
- For Good Reason – A new recipe, this Kveik yeast New England-style pale ale is described as juicy with notes of coconut, pineapple, and tangerine peel. 5.5% ABV.
- Zero Day – A 4.5% ABV American lager with a crisp and clear body, notes of Pilsner malt and corn, and very slight bitterness.
Revelation Ale Works
- Frigid Dimensions – Aged in Far North Roknar whiskey barrels, this big 11.5% ABV imperial stout is brewed for all seasons. Available at All Pints North on Saturday.
- Hurt Feelings – A newly tapped New England-style IPA showcasing New Zealand-grown Wai-Iti hops. 7.0% ABV.
- Moondrift – A Starkeller hazy IPA with notes of tangerine, coconut, pineapple, and stone fruit. 6.3% ABV, 35 IBU.
Welcome to 2021. I'm pretty sure I still know how to do this pic.twitter.com/CI5nEECCZa
— David Berg (@schellbrewer) June 11, 2021
Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
- Oktoberfest – The 2021 batch is an amber märzen lager. “The beer has a malty sweetness with a little bit of herbal, floral hop presence, and the bitterness levels are just right to balance the malt character for drinkability,” says Scott Jennings, Innovation Brewmaster at Sierra Nevada. 5.5% ABV.
Stacked Deck Brewing
- Strawberry Lime Astronaut Sauce – “Our newest release in the Astronaut Sauce series hits you with the perfect balance of strawberry on the nose, then slightly mouth-puckering sour and a lovely lime finish,” the brewery says. 6.0% ABV. On tap now and in liquor stores next week.
- Eye Dew Ewe 2 – Made with wheat, rye, and noble hops, this saison offers notes of apricot, peach, and passionfruit, the brewery says.
Torg welcomes Eye Dew Ewe 2 to taps today. Stop by for a tulip of the new rendition with an addition of wheat and rye and a new combination of noble hops for hints of apricot, peach, and passion fruit with a spicy kick all atop a graham cracker crust. #saison #drinklocal pic.twitter.com/eYAxIqRy1N
— Torg Brewery (@TorgBrewery) July 26, 2021
Town Hall Brewery
- Lemon Vine – A 9.7% ABV beer “fermented on unfiltered honey and matured in newly-emptied red wine casks, before aging on freshly cut lemons.
Lemon Vine 9.7% abv
Fermented using a variety of unfiltered honeys supplied by our friends Bar Bell Bee Ranch. Matured in newly-emptied red wine casks and then aged with freshly cut lemons just before serving. Served in a fancy glass. pic.twitter.com/4rrAOA5Jy2
— Town Hall Brewery (@THBrewery) July 23, 2021
Waconia Brewing Company
- Espress Yo’ Self – Beer, coffee, and chocolate combine for a golden pour with flavors often associated with dark-hued styles.
Wild Mind Ales
- Fruit Soup – A sour wheat ale with a light body and refreshing citrus character, the brewery says. 5% ABV.
- Letting the Days Go By – “A heavy dose of wheat, oats, and lactose provide a comfy nest for copious late additions of Galaxy, Citra, and NZH107 hops. Drippy notes of mango, and pineapple blended with the tart funkiness of our foeder aged golden sour,” the brewery says of this 5.3% ABV sour IPA.
- The Sound of Machines – A hazy and double-dry hopped IPA with pineapple. 7.9% ABV.
- Tiger in a Trance – A rustic-style saison with an earthy malt profile, raw honey, and dry-hopped with Hallertau Blanc and Saaz. 6.2% ABV.
Wooden Hill Brewing Company
- Florida Fling – A 5.5% ABV beer made with key lime juice, lactose, and vanilla.
Wooden Ship Brewing Co
- Grillin’ SZN – A collaboration with Tin Whiskers, this saison was made with smoked malt, apricot puree, arugula, and pickled hop. 5.7% ABV.
- Offstead – “This Norwegian farmhouse is funky and slightly smoky, with mild citrus and over-ripe fruit character from the kveik yeast,” Wooden Ship says. 5.6% ABV.
Have a new beer we should know about? Send the details to firstname.lastname@example.org for inclusion in Freshies.