Welcome to Beer Dabbler’s Freshies, our weekly rundown on the newest beers hitting the store shelves and taproom coolers in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries.
Last week Irish-style beer was flowing from taps across the state. This week continues an international theme, though the beers are often lighter than their malty red ales and dark-hued stouts. New beers of the week include Danish and Italian-style Pilsners, Lithuanian-style farmhouse ales, and much more.
Another intriguing movement: a handful of ordinarily lactose-inclusive styles are being made without it. A new line, in particular, is the sour ales from Drekker (kicking off with a taproom-only release), and a new oat milk stout from FINNEGANS that’s on tap in Minneapolis and heading to liquor stores in its new mixed pack.
Each week, the Beer Dabbler team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers that we’re most excited to try.
Hitachino Nest Beer White Ale – Belgian White Ale. 5.5% ABV
Portage Brewing Co. Mango Sticky Rice – A recipe we always welcome in late winter, made with mango puree, flaked coconut, sabro cryo, and citra cryo hops. Like a spoonful of the famous Thai dish. 7% ABV
Venn Maibock – Traditional German Springtime Pale Lager. 6% ABV
Drekker Brewing Co Slang Du Jour Key Lime Pie Sour – Slang Du Jour Key Lime Pie was brewed with tons of lime, banana, pear, vanilla soft serve ice cream, cinnamon, lactose, and granola to taste just like pie in a glass. 6.6% ABV
Jester King Brewing Mr. Mingo Farmhouse Ale – A farmhouse ale with roselle hibiscus. To make Mr. Mingo, Jester King Brewing took a simple saison with barley and wheat from Blacklands Malt and raw Texas Hill Country water from its onsite well. Next, the brewery added hibiscus flowers at the end of the boil and then later dry-hopped with more. In total, they used around 1 pound of hibiscus per barrel. 4.8% ABV
The beers in this gallery are now available for purchase at Dabbler Depot, 1545 7th St W, St. Paul, MN 55102
NEW BEERS AVAILABLE THIS WEEK ACROSS MINNESOTA
Looking for a taste of these great new beers? The icon indicates beers available at Dabbler Depot. Keep in mind—stock is limited! Check dabblerdepot.com or text (651)-802-2112 for availability.
- Oberon – The seasonal wheat beer is back for 2023.
☀️ Sunshine is just ONE DAY away! ☀️ Doors open at 10am tomorrow – see ya there! 🕶️️🍻 pic.twitter.com/wkDXth9bfI
— Bell's Brewery (@BellsBrewery) March 19, 2023
Boom Island Brewing Company
- Ice Out Maibock – Available at the taproom and liquor stores in 16-ounce cans.
Broken Clock Brewing Cooperative
The cooperative brewery is celebrating its grand opening at a new riverside location in Minneapolis, with a tap list of four new beers, listed below, plus familiar offerings: Oxymoron, Down By The River, Community Kolsch, How the Hef Are Ya?, Look At This Graf, Maverick & Gose, Trailblazers, Sweater Weather, House That Beer Built, Red Coats, Lavender Uprising, The Hoppy Pastor, Low Tops, Too Spoopy, Title Track Seltzer, Community Garden THC water, and a Michelada beer cocktail.
- 2022 RISe – The latest version of RISe imperial stout is on tap, offering caramel, whiskey, and licorice notes at 10% ABV, 74 IBU.
- Hop Scotch Ale – A wee heavy at 8.2% ABV, 30 IBU, Hop Scotch has notes of toffee and caramel with a subtle, earthy hop presence.
- Housewarming Gift – An oatmeal stout with smooth caramel and chocolate flavors. 6.7% ABV, 29 IBU.
- Who Runs the World – A mango wheat beer described as crisp and refreshing. “It is a well-balanced beer and has a light and easy drinking feel to it and finishes crisp and clean with a hint of mango,” Broken Clock says.
Dangerous Man Brewing Company
- Double Cream Coffee Dream – “This Bronze World Beer Cup Winner is back on tap! Brewed with lactose and Bear Hug Espresso Roast from Dogwood Coffee,” Dangerous Man says. 8% ABV.
- Horse of A Different Color – This Lithuanian-style farmhouse ale is brewed with horseradish and lemon zest, giving it bright lemon notes that pair with “a funky earthiness with a whisper of spice,” the brewery says. 5.2% ABV.
- Hygge –A Danish-style lager with notes of citrus, melon, and fresh fruit, dry-hopped with Vista, Saaz, HBC630, and HBC 586. 5.6% ABV.
- Passionate Dragons Fierce – An IPA fruited with passion fruit, dragon fruit, yuzu, and prickly pear, brewed by the women of Dangerous Man for International Women’s Day earlier this month. 7.5% ABV.
- Peanut Butter Honey Double Trifle Stout – A 10.5% ABV big stout with added peanut butter, honey, cacao nibs, chocolate chips, marshmallows, and local honey.
- The Bottom Line – A collaborative cold IPA made with Arbeiter and featuring Columbus, Chinook, and Cashmere hops, then dry-hopped with Waimea, El Dorado, and Ekuanot Cryo. 7.5% ABV, 31.6 IBU.
Drastic Measures Brewing
- Drippin – A sour with added blue raspberry, tangerine, and marshmallow fluff. 6% ABV.
- Krispy – A 5.25% ABV German-style Pilsner.
- Stupid Good – A 6.6% ABV hazy IPA made with Citra and Galaxy hops.
- Thoroughbred – Galaxy and Nelson hops set the tone in this 8.25 ABV hazy double IPA.
Drekker Brewing Co.
- Belly Full of Bones – Raspberry, blackberry, cherry, strawberry, plum, and vanilla soft serve combine in a berry creamsicle sour ale, released one week ago today.
- Braaaaaaaains! Graveyard – “Braaaaaaaains is absolutely stuffed with blackberry, raspberry, strawberry, guava, pineapple, and mango, then, of course, we hit it with our double secret smoothie treatment of sea salt, lactose, and vanilla,” Drekker says.
- Doubly Blessed – A double IPA with a soft oat and spent grain bill and hop-derived notes of citrus, grapefruit, tangerine, and orange creamsicle.
- Hater Blockers! – A double IPA made with oats, chit, and spent, plus Sabra, Mosaic, and Citra hops for flavors of tangerine, coconut, and mango.
- Key Lime Pie Slang Du Jour – A sour ale made with lime, banana, pear, vanilla soft serve ice cream, cinnamon, lactose, and granola.
- SMOL – A new line of lighted fruited sours, Drekker kicks things off with a recipe that combines passion fruit, orange, and guava. A taproom exclusive. No lactose.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- Strategic Pils Locations – “It’s lightly malty with notes of citrus, fresh cut grass, green tea, and white bread crust,” Fair State explains.
- The Purplest Tooth – A double stout aged in port barrels for rich flavors of malt, roast, chocolate, and cognac. On tap at the brewery.
FINNEGANS Brew Co
- Oat Milk Stout – “Taking our Caribou Dead Irish Poet recipe, we toned down the coffee/roast flavor notes and added oat milk to the kettle to amplify the smooth mouthfeel and sweeter cream-coffee profiles,” FINNEGANS says of its new lactose-free milk stout. On tap now and also sold in the Party Pack mixed pack. 6.8% ABV, 38 IBU.
Hacienda Beer Co.
- Closer Everywhere – A hazy IPA made with Mosaic, Cashmere, and Chinook hops. 7.1% ABV.
Heavy Rotation Brewing Company
- Munich Dunkel – A rich and malt-forward German-style brown lager.
Invictus Brewing Co.
- Nitro Irish Stout
- Wit You Say? – A Belgian-style traditional witbier made with coriander and orange peel, giving subtle sweetness with a bright and citrusy aroma, the brewery says.
Wit You Say? Belgian WIT
A traditional Wit beer brewed with coriander and orange peel for a subtle sweetness and bright, citrus aroma
On tap tomorrow 3/20 pic.twitter.com/jwcbh94Wum
— InvictusBrewingCo (@InvictusBrewCo) March 20, 2023
Island City Brewing
- Irish Coffee Cream Ale – “Our Honey Cream Ale infused with all the goodness of Irish coffee. Notes of coffee, and whiskey, with a smooth creamy finish,” the brewery says of this limited 5.6% ABV offering, tapped last week.
- Jameson Barrel Aged Imperial Milk Stout – A limited 9.5% ABV Pilot Batch beer tapped for the brewery’s sixth anniversary last week.
Jack Pine Brewery
- Branche Morte – A Belgian-style blonde ale with notes of honey, biscuit, bubble gum, and a touch of clove. 4.6% ABV, 10 IBU. Available today.
Junkyard Brewing Co.
- Irish Stout – On tap as of last week in Moorhead.
- Peanut Butter Bandit – “We tweaked the recipe a tad to give it a fuller body and richer flavor,” Junkyard says of this latest batch.
- Pekin Porter – Aged in Harmony Spirits bourbon barrels and sold in 750-milliliter bottles.
Little Thistle Brewing
- Doppel Bock – A rich and caramelly doppelbock.
Lupulin Brewing Company
- Cinnamon Coffee Shop Assault Vehicle – This imperial stout has added vanilla extract, coffee beans, and cinnamon. 9% ABV.
- Cheep – A 7.5% ABV IPA, double dry-hopped with Citra and Mosaic.
- Rusket Light – An American light lager at 4% ABV.
Red Wing Brewery
- Jordan Creek IPA
- Moon Light Lager – A light and crisp lager, on tap now.
River Siren Brewing Company
- Siren Hop Water – A non-alcoholic, hopped sparkling water.
Rivers & Rails Brewing Company
- River Buck ESB – A collaboration with Bucks Mill Brewing, “ESB -Extra Special Bitter is an English style ale displaying earthy and herbal hop character,” the brewery says. “The strenuous malty grain bill compliments this bitterness well.”
- Irish Extra Stout – Tapped at the brewery last week.
Schram Haus Brewer
- O’Schrammigans – An Irish-style red, recently tapped.
It’s a Bock Party on Saturday in Shakopee with live music, beer poking, the following beers, and more.
- 19th Amendment – “Brewed by the Women of Shakopee Brewhall! A toasty, malty beer that is hearty and crisp,” the brewery explains.
- Imperial Dopple Bock – A limited beer with notes of dark fruits, dried dates, burnt sugar, candied orange peel, golden raisins, and alcohol warmth. 15% ABV.
- Peanut Butter Vienna Lager – – A small batch infusion lager inspired by Girl Scout cookies.
- Vincent van Goat – A dunkle bock available on Saturday.
Steel Toe Brewing
- Stivale – A 4.5% ABV Italian-style Pilsner with bright citrus and floral character.
🇮🇹🍺 Welcome the Stivale – Italian Pilsner to the STB lineup!🍺🥾
An Italian Style Pilsner with bright citrus and floral flavor, and aroma. A soft mouthfeel with just a touch of spice and bitterness. 4.5 ABV 🍻
“Stivale” is Italian for boot. 🇮🇹🥾 pic.twitter.com/3z3Jz9hXlH
— Steel Toe Brewing (@SteelToeBrewing) March 17, 2023
Venn Brewing Company
- Black Currant Nectar – A beer/mead hybrid made with black currant, chai bitters, and honey. 9.0% ABV.
- Fer Feck’s Sake – An Irish-style lager at 5.6% ABV.
- Maibock – A 6.0% ABV German-style spring lager. Released
Wild Mind Ales
- Fruit Soup – A sour wheat beer made with Kveik yeast, a blend of lactic acid bacteria, and feijoa (Brazilian guava) puree. The beer is 5.5% ABV with flavors of strawberry, guava, pineapple, and kiwi.
Yellow Belly Hard Cider
- Maple Bourbon Cider is Available at the Sapsucker Farms’ Mora taproom in limited supply.
Have a new beer we should know about? Send the details to firstname.lastname@example.org for inclusion in Freshies.
Leave A Comment