Welcome to Beer Dabbler’s Freshies, our weekly rundown on the newest beers hitting the store shelves and taproom coolers in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries.
Sweet and tart sours, a wave of shandies and some dark ‘n’ bold stouts/porters are here to kick off the weekend. There are many fruit-forward and colorful beers celebrating LGBTQ+ icons at Pride Beer Dabbler tonight, and varied draft and liquor store lineups in every corner of the state from Moorhead to Duluth to Dundas and Waconia.
Enjoy a coffee stout, wine barrel-aged porter, double IPA, triple IPA, and even a SMATH-style beer.
Each week, the Beer Dabbler team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers that we’re most excited to try.
Badger Hill Table Beer – A tafelbier collaboration with Wooden Ship Brewing, on tap now.
BlackStack Hop Circles: Exhibit M – Newly tapped, this is a double IPA with an experimental hop variety—the theme of the Unidentified DIPA series. “We let the Mango Trial Blend get friendly with our favorite IPA yeast during primary fermentation, kept the malt bill relatively simple, and sprinkled in some more of our hand-selected Mosaic to highlight the differences between the blends,” BlackStack says of this new take. 8.4% and fruit-free.
Clutch Jonathan Van Hefe – A Pride Dabbler exclusive inspired by Jonathan Van Ness, “This Hef has banana and clove notes that mix with the touch of strawberry,” the brewery says.
Earth Rider Cloud Top Hazy IPA – “[This] juicy IPA has hop aromas and bold flavors of orange, pineapple, and mango. A subtle bitterness along with the malt sweetness work together creating a perfectly balanced brew,” Earth Rider says. 5.7% ABV, 24 IBU.
Junkyard It’s My House – A Pride Dabbler exclusive inspired by icon Diana Ross, this is a sour ale with strawberry, pineapple, and guava. 6.5% ABV.
New beers available this week
- Raspberry Milkshake IPA – Back on tap, this is a raspberry-forward 6.7% ABV beer with low bitterness, the brewery says.
- Dragon Fruit Wheat – A fruited wheat beer with a balanced fruit-to-beer flavor profile.
On tap NOW we have a new one for you, Dragon Fruit Wheat. This is a more approachable fruit beer vs. our sours or milkshakes as the fruit flavor is a bit more subtle. Tropical dragon fruit flavors come through while still holding the slight spice flavor a wheat beer brings. pic.twitter.com/8LPnCWWYDJ
— 10K Brewing (@10kbrewing) July 8, 2021
608 Brewing Company
- Alphaburst – “Massive flavors of pineapple, candied cantaloupe, and satsuma assault the palette with a dank stank to the bitterness and little alcohol heat drying out the finish,” the La Crosse brewery says of this 9.2% ABV triple hazy IPA.
- Perma Puft: Fluffanutta – A mouthful of a beer name and a 7% ABV pastry stout with chocolate notes, roasted peanut butter, and creamy marshmallow.
Able Seedhouse + Brewery
- Strawberry Liberationade – Available at Pride Beer Dabbler on Friday, July 16.
Alloy Brewing Company
- Strike First – Sabro and Enigma hops define this new double dry-hopped New England-style IPA. 7.1% ABV, 35 IBU.
Back Channel Brewing
- Pride Pie’in – Available at Pride Beer Dabbler on Friday, July 16. Fruited Berliner — Mango // Passionfruit // Pineapple
Bad Habit Brewing Company
- Friendship Picnic – A 7% ABV cherry and pineapple IPA.
- Smooshy Smoosh
- Sugar High – It’s a delicious blend of strawberry, blackberry, raspberry and blueberry all mixed up and blended with our house sour, the brewery says.
- Vamoose Hazy IPA – A hazy IPA with a soft body, dry finish, and a core that includes Azacca, Citra and Cashmere hops.
Bad Weather Brewing Company
- Harvey Milk Stout – Available at Pride Beer Dabbler on Friday, July 16. “This is our milk stout infused with strawberries, vanilla, and chocolate. Sweet Stout and with the addition of Lactose sugar it’s known as Milk Stout. Aromas of Chocolate, coffee, and light roast. Flavors of chocolate and roast malt, with a pleasant sweetness. The addition of Lactose sugar gives this beer a sweet, creamy finish. Medium-bodied. Pours a midnight black with an off-brown head. “
Badger Hill Brewing Company
- Table Beer – Top Flight selection.
- F5 Ruby Slippers Mango Glitter Sour – Available at Pride Beer Dabbler on Friday, July 16.
Bauhaus Brew Labs
- Wit’s Creek – Available at Pride Beer Dabbler on Friday, July 16. A passion fruit wheat ale with a touch of pineapple and vanilla. Pouring a golden straw color with a thin white head, this brew begins with a snappy zing which quickly diminishes to leave you with a clean sweet finish that is extremely sessionable.
Bent Paddle Brewing Co.
- The Lady Chablis – Available at Pride Beer Dabbler on Friday, July 16. Blonde ale infused with black tea and lemon.
- Trampled – The golden ale brewed with help from Duluth band Trampled By Turtles is back on liquor store shelves now. Sold in 6- and 12-packs.
Big Axe Brewing Company
- Peach Mango Seltzer – On tap at the brewery.
Birch’s On The Lake
- Red Wine Barrel Baltic Porter – “This strong black lager was aged in used red wine barrels for over 13 months. Incredibly smooth with a nice oak finish,” the brewpub says of this 8.7% ABV limited offering. Tapped last Thursday.
Blacklist Brewing Co.
- Blacklist Brewing Company Syke’s Summer Sipper – Available at Pride Beer Dabbler on Friday, July 16. Blackberry Rhubarb Seltzer.
- Guava Gose – Sometimes the description is right there in the title.
- Hop Circles: Exhibit M – Top Flight selection.
- Wire Transfer – A juicy yet dank double dry-hopped double IPA featuring Strata, Cashmere, Ekuanot Cryo, and Mosaic Cryo hops. 8.5% ABV.
Boathouse Brothers Brewing Co.
- General Quarters – A 7.2% ABV American IPA with a blend of four hop varieties, plus a mix of pale, amber, and crystal malts.
- See A Little Light Mixed-Fermentation Sour – Available at Pride Beer Dabbler on Friday, July 16.
Boom Island Brewing Company
- LFG – Available at Pride Beer Dabbler on Friday, July 16. Hard Seltzer with lavender, lemon, and blueberry. Brewed in honor of Megan Rapinoe, USWNT’s leader and resident badass, and her fight for equal pay.
- Kiska Sea – A fruited sour made with a mixture of raspberry, strawberry, cherry, and lime. 5.0% ABV.
Broken Clock Brewing Cooperative
- Liquid Fidelity The Remix – Another Record Store Day is upon us, and Broken Clock’s Down In The Valley collaboration is back too, remixed. The 4.7% ABV, 30 IBU American lager with lime is described as “Crisp, clean, bready, with a light bitterness pop.” Available beginning Saturday.
Castle Danger Brewery
- Can You Feel the Lime Tonight? – Available at Pride Beer Dabbler on Friday, July 16. American pale lager.
- Spaceman Spiff – A New England-style IPA with flavors of pineapple, peach, and citrus with floral aromas, the brewery says.
New NEIPA alert! Spaceman Spiff packs a punch of pineapple, peach, citrus, and floral aromas. It has balanced bitterness and is gently mouthwatering. The name is inspired by the comic Calvin & Hobbes (Calvin's alter ego). We're conquering this galaxy, one NEIPA at a time.😉💫 pic.twitter.com/VvGMZyeluP
— Castle Danger Brewer (@cdangerbrewer) July 9, 2021
- Blood Orange Pale Ale – Back on tap.
Clutch Brewing Company
- Jonathan Van Hefe – Top Flight selection.
- SMATH – A “single malt, two hop” pale ale, this new offering pours at 5.1% ABV with a crisp and light body, the brewery says.
Dangerous Man Brewing Company
- Caramel Macchiato Double Stout – A double stout conditioned on coffee and caramel and brewed with both candied sugars and lactose, Dangerous Man says this big beer offers rich and bold notes of caramel and coffee. 8.6% ABV.
- Nordic Lemon Squeeze – A Norwegian-style farmhouse ale with added juniper, lavender, honey, lemon juice, and smoke. “A bright lemony summer crusher with a whisper of smokiness,” the brewery adds.
🍋 🇳🇴 🍋Nordic Lemon Squeeze🍋 🇳🇴 🍋
A Norwegian Farmhouse Ale w/ a little twist or “squeeze”. Brewed w/Bohemian Pilsner Malts, oak smoked 🌾 , Juniper branches, Lavender Blossom 🍯 & Meyer 🍋 juice! A bright lemony summer crusher w/ a whisper of smokiness. pic.twitter.com/iMeVZ62ulA
— DangerousMan (@DangerousMan7) July 14, 2021
- Fancy Gose – Available at Pride Beer Dabbler on Friday, July 16. Dragon fruit, Hibiscus Gose with Black Hawaiian lava sea salt. Brewed in tribute to our pride icon choice Orville Peck and his cover of Reba McEntire’s song “Fancy.”
Dual Citizen Brewing Company
- Workin’ 9 to Pie – Available at Pride Beer Dabbler on Friday, July 16. A guava lime sour with marshmallow and graham crackers.
- Divine – Available at Pride Beer Dabbler on Friday, July 16. Aromatic hopped cider with a grapefruit and raspberry finish.
Earth Rider Brewery
- Cloud Top Hazy IPA – Top Flight selection.
Eastlake Craft Brewery
- Razzle Dazzle! – Available at Pride Beer Dabbler on Friday, July 16. A raspberry-infused hard seltzer that tips its hat to the star of the stage, Liza Minnelli!
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- Side Pull – A collaboration with Bierstadt Lagerhaus (Denver, CO), this is a pale lager with a balance of malt character and earthy hops that pours at 4.1% ABV. Previously released at the taproom, this is the first time it’s hitting liquor stores (in 4-packs).
Fair State will also host “Mini Mixed Culture” on upcoming Saturdays, sharing limited pours of varied sour beers on the patio. This kicks off with:
- Amaro Sour – “Barrel-fermented dark sour with a secret blend of bitter herbs, spices, and citrus,” the brewery says.
- Mojito Sour – A barrel-fermented pale sour with lime and mint.
- Vanilla is Baseline – A double barrel-aged imperial stout with a heavy dose of vanilla.
- Razzblaster – A barrel-fermented dark sour with raspberries.
Fat Pants Brewing Co.
- Material Girl – Available at Pride Beer Dabbler on Friday, July 16. A dazzling pomegranate sour.
Firestone Walker Brewing Company
- Strata – New and sold in the latest edition of the Crafted Thru Hops IPA Mixed Pack, this single-hop IPA derives citrus, orange candy and passion fruit-like flavors with a notable dankness, the brewery says. 5.6% ABV, 35 IBU.
- Slow Disco (Blueberry Blonde Ale w/ Glitter) – Available at Pride Beer Dabbler on Friday, July 16. “To celebrate our Pride Icon, St. Vincent, we made a party in a keg named after her hit song ‘Slow Disco’. This blueberry blonde ale will be your own personal disco ball with the addition of some edible glitter!” says the brewery.
- Channel ORANGE – Available at Pride Beer Dabbler on Friday, July 16. Channel ORANGE is a screwdriver-style hard seltzer inspired by the album by Frank Ocean.
Hoops Brewing Company
- No. 325 Chili Pepper Ale – A 5.4% ABV beer made with a blend of seven different pepper varieties.
- No. 5050 Hefeweizen – It was only gone for a few days, but the German-style hefeweizen is back on tap now.
No. 5050 is back after a few days on hiatus, one of the four wheat based beers we typically serve year a round proudly. This German style Hefeweizen is a bit banana-centric and very thirst quenching. #thefriendlybeerhall #hoopsbrewing #duluthbeercity pic.twitter.com/cmbikmhHBz
— Hoops Brewing (@hoopsbrewing) July 10, 2021
- Won’t You Be My Neighbor – Available at Pride Beer Dabbler on Friday, July 16. American corn lager.
Invictus Brewing Co
- Mr. Aloha – Available at Pride Beer Dabbler on Friday, July 16. Coconut porter.
Junkyard Brewing Co.
- Citra-Zaic – A dry-hopped double West Coast-style IPA with notes of lemon zest, dried papaya, and clean citrus from the inclusion of Citra and Mosaic hops, the brewery says. 8.8% ABV.
- Cool Shades – A tart and zesty summer sour made with sweet cherry, lime, and actual lemonade mix. 6.2% ABV.
- Gooey Lewis and the Brews – A 7.0% ABV collaboration with Pulpit Rock Brewing (Decorah, IA).
- It’s My House – Top Flight selection.
- Unconventional Toppings – “The tart of the summer with its sweet layers of creamy cheesecake, freshly baked sugar cookies from Hornbacher’s, and topped off with the most essential berry toppings like strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries,” the Moorhead brewery says. 5.2% ABV.
Lake Monster Brewing
- Double Rowboat – A West Coast-style double version of Empty Rowboat IPA. On tap at the brewery, this bigger version offers resinous and citrus flavors. In liquors soon.
- Splendid Things Pink Lemonade Ale – Available at Pride Beer Dabbler on Friday, July 16. “The great Freddie Mercury famously said, ‘I like to be surrounded by splendid things.’ In that spirit, we brewed up this splendid fruit ale, made with a blend of lemon zest, hibiscus, and raspberry puree,” says the brewery.
Little Thistle Brewing
- Dragon Ade – Available at Pride Beer Dabbler on Friday, July 16. “Here at Little Thistle we proudly celebrate diversity every day, but this is different. Dragon Ade is our Pride Month celebration drink of choice! A strawberry candy fruited seltzer, made with 24lbs of powdered magic! This delicious beverage is inspired by the 52nd anniversary of the Stonewall Riots! Happy Pride!” says the brewery.
Lupulin Brewing Company
- B.A.M. Nectar – A hazy double IPA with orange flavor at 8% ABV, 45 IBU and featuring a combination of Bravo, Amarillo, and Mandarina Bavaria hops.
- Rus(s) King “Mud Pie of 1981” – Available at Pride Beer Dabbler on Friday, July 16. “This infusion is inspired by MN native Russ King who is better known as Miss Richfield of 1981. We took our RUS imperial stout and added in Amoretti mud pie, nibs, and vanilla to pay tribute to the most popular dessert of 1981—Mud Pie,” says the brewery.
- Flip Phone Brunch Mimosa Beer – Available at Pride Beer Dabbler on Friday, July 16. A special brewers’ blend using lemonade and rhubarb to serenade your taste buds. This light and fruity beer is just what you need to stay cool.
Minneapolis Cider Co.
- Pineapple Crush – Available on tap now and in liquor stores also.
Modist Brewing Company
- The Lady of the Jewel Box – Available at Pride Beer Dabbler on Friday, July 16. Fruited sour lager.
- Deviant Minds –Paloma-style Gose brewed in collaboration with LGBTQ+ nonprofit Deviant Minds.
- Bourbon Barrel Aged Honees Honees – A limited offering collaboration with 45th Parallel Spirits. Available at Oliphant and also at 45th Parallel soon., similar to BA Super Squishy, listed below.
- Bourbon Barrel Aged Super Squishy
- Hunkboy – A 6% ABV robust porter.
OMNI Brewing Co.
- Hot Peaches – Available at Pride Beer Dabbler on Friday, July 16. “This is our pride icon beer. The base of the beer is Knownst To Us which is our kettle sour. We added peaches apricots and glitter. It pays homage to Marsha P. Johnson’s Theater group of the same name Hot Peaches!” says the brewery.
- Crimson Crush – A pomegranate and lemon shandy brewed to celebrate Maple Grove Days. On tap and the brewery, and also on pour for events at Central Park.
- PYNK – Available at Pride Beer Dabbler on Friday, July 16. “This pink-colored brew is sure to stand out in a crowd! Inspired by Janelle Monáe’s PYNK music video, pomegranate and hibiscus play a leading role, with a bit of dragon fruit peeking through for a smooth fruity finish,” says the brewery.
Stacked Deck Brewing Co.
- Snake Pilssen – The American Pilsner is back. “Light and super crispy, it pairs perfectly with a hot summer day,” the brewery says. Sold in 4-packs of 16-ounce cans. On tap and in Crowlers at the brewery directly beginning next week. 5.1% ABV.
Summit Brewing Company
- Let’s Go Crazy ESB – Available at Pride Beer Dabbler on Friday, July 16. This beer offers fruity notes of ripe peach, plum and cherry balanced with bready notes and graham cracker with a crisp dry finish and noticeable bitterness.
- Summit Cabin Crusher Kölsch-Style Ale – Available now in 6- and 12-packs of 12oz cans and on draught at selection locations.
Surly Brewing Company
- Hop Chauffeur – A pilot series offering that pairs Idaho 7 hops with Sabro. On tap in the beer hall as of last Saturday.
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company
- Apricot Wheatstone Bridge
- TBA – Unnamed at press time, Torg has a new summer stout aged on roasted coconut available.
Unmapped Brewing Co.
- You Got Another Hazy Thing Comin’ – Available at Pride Beer Dabbler on Friday, July 16.
Urban Growler Brewing Company
- Commissioner Jan Malcolm Dazzle Me with Science IPA – A Pride Dabbler exclusive named for Minnesota Department of Health Commissioner Jan Malcolm after a difficult year.
Ursa Minor Brewing
- bRuPaul Session Sour – Available at Pride Beer Dabbler on Friday, July 16. “A salted lime & hibiscus session sour. Does it get any more refreshing? This beer is your go-to lake day beer. At a perfect 4% ABV, you’ll want to pack a few of these for the pontoon to enjoy all day,” says the brewery.
Venn Brewing Company
- Donna Summer Shandy – Available at Pride Beer Dabbler on Friday, July 16. “The perfect summer beverage, inspired by the Pride Icon Donna Summer—a refreshing 4.0% Grapefruit Shandy,” says the brewery.
Waconia Brewing Company
- Final Circle Shandy – A blonde ale with boysenberry, this shandy is a collaboration with Call of Duty esports team Minnesota Røkkr. 4.6% ABV, 10 IBU
Wild State Cider
A new series of sparkling wines is now being sold in cans in two flavors.
- Hey Day: Rosé – “Light and crisp with notes of strawberry, rhubarb, and citrus,” the cidery notes.
- Hey Day: Sauv Blanc – This option is described as “bright and zesty” with flavors of passion fruit, guava, and nectarine.
- Pride Edition – Dragonfruit Mango Pineapple – Available at Pride Beer Dabbler on Friday, July 16.
Beers just announced
608 Brewing Company
608 Brewing COmpany celebrates its third anniversary from August 4-7 with several special releases across Throwback Thursday, Backpatio Tiki Party Friday, and Barrel-Aged Stout Saturday. The lineup:
- 608 Premium Lager – A Helles-style lager to tap on Thursday, August 5. Limited supply.
- BA Coconuts Rule Everything Around Me – A barrel-aged imperial stout with coconut and vanilla. On tap and also sold in 500-milliliter bottles on Saturday.
- Cheetawesome Cherry Lime Koolatron – A “Drink Mix Sour” to tap on Friday. Also to be sold in 4-packs.
- Imperial Strawberry Rhubarb Coconut Crisp – A pastry stout that will be available on Friday and also sold in 4-packs.
- Lick: Bananas Foster – Available for Barrel-Aged Saturday, this imperial stout was made with banana, cinnamon, and vanilla beans. Also to be sold in 500-milliliter bottles.
- Lick: Neapolitan – A barrel-aged imperial stout with strawberry, vanilla beans, and cocoa nibs, inspired by Neapolitan ice cream. To be sold on draft and in limited 500-milliliter bottles on Saturday, August 7.
- Nebulous Void – A barrel-aged imperial stout on draft and in 500-milliliter bottles on Saturday, August 7.
- RYPE: Pina Colada – A fruited sour for the Friday, August 6, Backpatio Tiki Party. To be sold on draft and in 4-packs.
- War Materials: Strata – This West Coast-style double IPA makes its return on Thursday, August 5, and will also be sold in limited 4-packs.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- Callista Pils – A hoppy Pilsner coming to the taproom on August 5.
- Nannerz – A smoothie seltzer collaboration with Forager, made with banana and guanabana. A taproom exclusive to tap on Thursday, July 22.
- Slappers Only – A double dry-hopped hazy double IPA showing off a combo Idaho 7 and Idaho 7 Cryo hop profile. To tap at the brewery on Thursday, July 29.
This week marks the crisp and delicious return of Side Pull, a collaboration with @bierstadtlager 🍻 Don't wanna wait til Thursday? Side Pull is available on shelves now in MN, WI, TX, SD, MI, CA, OH, IN, OR and NYC. pic.twitter.com/PoGuwTposp
— Fair State Co-op (@FairStateCoop) July 13, 2021
Founders Brewing Co.
- Velvet Rush – A bourbon barrel-aged brown ale with notes of coffee, chocolate, vanilla, and lactose. 11% ABV and available nationwide in September.
OMNI Brewing Co.
- Crystal Kolsch – COming to Crystal Frolics on July 22–25 via OMNI’s “Traveling Circus” beer cart.
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company
- Funken Fest – Canned and ready for its liquor store debut…soon?
We could tease you about we're canning today, but some beer demands to be named (or shown), get your taste buds ready!
We'll let you know when it hits liquor stores! pic.twitter.com/gvkIrsghUQ
— Tin Whiskers Brewery (@TinWhiskersBrew) July 13, 2021
Have a new beer we should know about? Send the details to email@example.com for inclusion in Freshies.