Welcome to Beer Dabbler’s Freshies, our weekly rundown on the newest beers hitting the store shelves and taproom coolers in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries.
Hops are front and center in new beers this week. There are all manner of IPA styles from East Coast to West Coast and everything in between. One trend of the moment is showcasing how different hops can change a beer, be it in flight form at Bent Paddle, or with dry-hopping and late additions to boost the bouquet.
While IPAs are certainly plentiful, it’s not all hops though. We have multiple beer-poking parties going on, which is a good time for winter patio drinking, of course, but it also pushes caramelized malt to the forefront.
Each week, the Beer Dabbler team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers that we’re most excited to try.
A-Side Public House American Wheat – A collaboration with Lakes & Legends, this was brewed with American Pale Malt and American White Wheat from Rahr in Shakopee “This beer has a wonderful hazy glow from the proteins in the wheat malt, as well as the low-flocculating yeast – 100% unfiltered. Pillowy, fruity, approachable, and light, with a zesty spice from the Super Saaz hops,” the brewery says.
Fulton Brewing Thunder God – A limited-time stout with added maple syrup, vanilla, and cacao, sold in 4-packs. 7.5% ABV.
La Doña Cervecería 3 The Hard Way – “This purple and blue corn lager hints at a mild tartness on the nose with a crisp and slightly bitter finish. With each sip you’ll get a smooth backbone from the blue and purple corn with an easy dry finish,” the brewery says. A collaboration with 612Brew and Wild Mind.
Milk & Honey Ciders Kingston Black – A single varietal cider at 7.8% ABV.
Toppling Goliath Brewing Co. Barrel Aged Knock One Bock – Available on draft in Decorah, IA, this doppelbock is a collaboration with Wisconsin Brewing Company, barrel-aged with vanilla, toasted toffee, and malty flavors.
New beers available this week
- Maple Black Ale – 7% ABV and back on tap now.
Maple Black Ale, a crowd favorite is on tap now! ABV 7% pic.twitter.com/wl3Ep5tZnV
— 10K Brewing (@10kbrewing) February 17, 2022
608 Brewing Company
- Mongorita – An 8% ABV imperial sour with mango, line, and sea salt, just in time for Margarita Day earlier this week. “Thick mango nectar meets the perfect amount of citrus acidity with a refreshing salt essence on the finish,” 608 says.
A-Side Public House
Open since last fall in St. Paul, there are currently eight beers on draft at A-Side, each available in Crowlers.
- American IPA – 6.7% ABV
- American Wheat – Top Flight selection
- English Brown Ale – 5.5% ABV
- English ESB – 5.9% ABV
- French Saison – 7.5% ABV
- Milk Stout – 5.0% ABV
- New England IPA – This newly tapped New England-style double dry-hopped IPA is a 6.9% ABV collaboration with 9 Mile Brewing.
- Pils – 5.0% ABV
Alloy Brewing Company
- Rock Out with your Doppelbock Out – The featured beer at this Saturday’s bock poking party.
- 300 Brew Days – A double dry-hopped triple IPA showing off the flavors and aromas of Sultana and Mackinac hops. 9.1% ABV, 40 IBU.
Bad Weather Brewing Company
- Glory Daze – A West Coast-style IPA made with Amarillo, Centennial, Ekuanot Cryo, and Columbus Cryo hops. On tap, in Crowlers, and sold in 4-packs.
— Bad Weather Brewing (@BadWeatherBrew) December 27, 2021
Badger Hill Brewing Company
- Death Star Disco Ball – Triple IPA
- Minnesota Truffle Imperial Pastry Stout
Bent Paddle Brewing Co.
The Duluth taproom is now serving a limited time hop-forward remix flight:
- Bent Hop
- Citra Bump
- Double Dry Hopped
- Slightly Angled
- Cali Breeze – A taproom exclusive IPA featuring El Dorado and Citra hops for bright citrus and floral notes with moderate bitterness and a dry finish, the brewery says. 7.4% ABV, 50 IBU.
It’s the IPA flight you’ve been waiting for ????
Bent Hop Remixes are now on tap in our Duluth Taproom! We experimented with our Bent Hop recipe to create 3 remix beers. Check them out below ????
1️⃣ Bent Hop
2️⃣ Citra Bump
3️⃣ Double Dry Hopped
4️⃣ Slightly Angled pic.twitter.com/mH7BMJBdHi
— bentpaddlebeer (@bentpaddlebeer) February 18, 2022
Brau Brothers Brewing Co.
- Crappie Flop Amber – 5.9% ABV, 30 IBU
- Double Cross Pale Ale – 4.5% ABV, 10 IBU
- Cool Under Pressure – “Fermented cold, spunded for natural carbonation and hopped with some refreshingly dank Simcoe, Centennial and Chinook,” the brewery says of this 7.0% ABV cold IPA.
- Per My Last Email – A 7.4% ABV New England-style IPA made with Mosaic, Simcoe, and New Zealand Motueka hops. On draft and available in Crowlers.
????????“PER MY LAST EMAIL”????????
Not sure if you saw the last one… In case you may have missed it: Here’s Mosaic, Simcoe & New Zealand Motueka in thoroughly infuriating quantities.
On tap & in crowlers now. pic.twitter.com/CK6ahHvBCF
— bricksworthbeer (@bricksworthbeer) February 22, 2022
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- …And The World Is Mean – A barrel-aged companion to Life Ain’t Fair barleywine. This 15% ABV big beer offers notes of caramel, toffee, spirits, vanilla, and oak. The taproom will pour Life Ain’t Fair samples on Saturday for comparison.
Foremost Brewing Cooperative
- Bob’s Bock – The featured beer at the bock poking party this Saturday in Owatonna.
- Thunder God – Top Flight selection
Hop & Barrel Brewing
- Barrel Aged Ridiculous Idiots – Available at both locations (Hudson and Spring Valley,m this is an imperial stout, barrel-aged).
- Ridiculous Idiots – The non barrel-aged edition of Hop & Barrel’s imperial stout.
Klockow Brewing Company
- Hays on Tay – A new batch is now available from the Grand Rapids brewery.
La Doña Cervecería
- 3 The Hard Way – Top Flight selection
Lakes & Legends Brewing Company
- Darth Lager
We had a little too much fun with this brew… “Darth Lager” is on tap now! ???? pic.twitter.com/RpcRRrZZ4D
— Lakes & Legends Brewing Co. (@lakesandlegends) February 23, 2022
Lakeside Tavern & Brewery
- Schillers Shameless Plug – Eukanot, Galaxy, Mosaic and Citra hops come together in this hazy IPA that is back on tap.
- Smitten Mittens – A dark winter lager with clove, cinnamon, and orange peel.
Little Thistle Brewery
- Swipe Right –Pink in color (for its Valentine’s Day tapping), this limited beer is “loaded” with Jolly Ranchers candy.
LocAle Brewing Company
- Chocolate Raspberry Distant Dawn – A limited release porter with cocoa nibs, raspberries, and vanilla beans.
- Sun Dog – “This 5.5% ABV seasonal hazy pale ale is packed with hop aroma and flavor thanks to Minnesota grown Civil Sass Hops Centennial hops, a pair of unique hop blends and also saturated with concentrated Mosaic hops,” the brewery says. “Not only that, but we used a new yeast strain to accentuate the hop characteristics to give that blast of tropical citrus and dank hop character.”
Luce Line Brewing Co.
- New Zealand Joy Ride – “The second installment of our Joy Ride West Coast IPA series that features new and innovative ingredients and processes. We hopped NZ Joy Ride with New Zealand grown Cascade, Motueka, and Nelson Sauvin hops across multiple additions to create a smooth bitterness and unique flavor experience consisting of lemon, lime, gooseberry, pine and white grape,” Alloy explains. 7.5% ABV, 70 IBU.
Lupulin Brewing Company
- DDH Hooey – The hazy IPA, double dry-hopped variant. 6.2% ABV, 60 IBU.
Milk & Honey Ciders
- Kingston Black – A single varietal cider at 7.8% ABV.
- Pet-Nat Estate – A 7.8% ABV cider sold in 750-milliliter bottles.
Mineral Springs Brewery
- Garage IPA – A red IPA brewed in collaboration with a local homebrewer.
Northbound Smokehouse & Brewpub
- Amateur Sketch IPA – An Amarillo-hopped IPA with fruit and citrus notes along with Pilsner malt and red wheat malt. 6.7% ABV, 73 IBU.
- Wild Rice Amber Bock – The rich and nutty amber, made with wild rice, is back on tap now.
Today's $2.50 Tuesday post is dedicated to our freshly released Wild Rice Amber Bock!
Not only is it available on happy hour, but it’s also available in crowlers.
Don't let the snow prevent you from getting a taste of a beer we've spent years perfecting.
— Northbound Smokehouse & Brewpub (@NorthboundBrew) February 22, 2022
- Hazelnut Mocha Stout – “This imperial mocha stout was brewed with chocolate malts and brown sugar to create a rich and complex base to condition on copious amounts of Dogwood Coffee’s Mixtape blend, toasted hazelnuts, cacao nibs, and Madagascar vanilla beans,” the brewery says. 10.6% ABV.
- Willy Chonka – A wheat and oat-heavy pastry sour conditioned on blueberry, cherry, plum, lemon, apricot, and vanilla beans. 6.0% ABV, contains lactose.
- 2Cloned2GetStoned – A 5% ABV key lime pie-inspired sour ale.
- Milkman Manbaby – A milk stout made ith hefeweizen yeast. 6.5%
Toppling Goliath Brewing Co.
- Barrel Aged Knock One Bock – Top Flight selection
- Term Oil S’mores – A s’mores inspired stout from Toppling Goliath. It’s also the first time the brewery is releasing a barrel-aged stout in cans.
As promised, we have S'more in store for you… Our FIRST EVER barrel-aged stout will hit distro in cans this month ???? get it here in our taproom first as we release Barrel-Aged Term Oil S'mores to the public next at 11 a.m. next Friday, February 25!https://t.co/Z9aUKCUxab pic.twitter.com/NHRHwBrbA9
— Toppling Goliath Brewing Company (@TGBrews) February 17, 2022
- Five Bobs – A London-style porter aged on vanilla beans for a month. Tapped one week ago.
Five Bobs Vanilla Porter returns to tap tomorrow, Feb. 18th. A dark, delicious London porter aged on vanilla bean for a slightly smooth, sweat, intricate presentation. Know the story behind the brew's name? Stop by Fri. to find out.#thatwhichisbrewedisalwaysbeautiful #porter pic.twitter.com/4cRCojO5Lo
— Torg Brewery (@TorgBrewery) February 17, 2022
Wooden Hill Brewing Co.
- Lemon Soirée – A 5% ABV lemon cream ale, inspired by lemon meringue pie and made with purée, lactose, and vanilla.
Have a new beer we should know about? Send the details to email@example.com for inclusion in Freshies.