Welcome to Beer Dabbler’s Freshies, our weekly rundown on the newest beers hitting the store shelves and taproom coolers in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries.
Spring is a season of rebirth, and also transition. Right now many brewery lineups range from Russian imperial stouts to summer ale and shandy: a full rainbow on display among most flight boards. This week’s new beers share that variety, with traditional German-style lagers, hazy IPAs, and complex mixed-culture sours.
But fruit makes its presence known this week, especially strawberry, from a new seasonal via Fulton or a limited batch at Wooden Hill. Other berries give it a good run in popularity though, as we see plenty of blueberry, blackberry, and even honeyberry on tap (and take-home) across the Land of 10,000 Drinks.
Each week, the Beer Dabbler team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers that we’re most excited to try.
Bemidji New Zealand Pilsner – At 4.8% ABV, this is a Pilsner lager made with German Pilsner malt and New Zealand Wakatu and Motueka hops. Expect a clean backdrop with subtle lime, floral, and spice, the brewery says.
Bent Paddle Honeyberry Saison – A limited release in a new Out of the Oak program, this is a mixed culture and saison with locally sourced honeyberry. “Expect delicate brett funk, smarties candy, light oak tannin, and berry skin with a dry, enticingly tart finish,” Bent Paddle says.
Hoops #1967 Sour Cherry Wheat – A wheat beer with big fruity notes of cherry, peach, dark berry, and a dry finish.
Utepils He’s Not Hazy, He’s My Brother – This new hoppy lager is a collaboration with Mikerphone Brewing (Chicago, IL). Available today.
Stacked Deck Bowling for Money – Bowling for Money – A silky, smooth, and juicy double IPA from Stacked Deck made with a heavy dose of Mosaic and Simcoe hops. On tap and sold in 16-ounce/4-packs. 8.0% ABV.
New beers available this week
- Bougie Bee – A 4.1% ABV beer made with blueberry honey that presents a big honey flavor with subtle fruitiness. 4.1% ABV.
Bougie Bee is back! We used blueberry honey in this version which gives big honey flavor and a subtle fruity sweetness. Only 4.1% ABV so dare we say you may be back for more. pic.twitter.com/feAP98RsV4
— 10K Brewing (@10kbrewing) April 15, 2021
608 Brewing Company
- Couch Lock – Tapped on Tuesday, April 20, this is a dank and hazy IPA made with Strata and Columbus hops for flavors of blueberry, honeydew, and marijuana. Made in collaboration with Tree Huggers Co-Op. 7.5% ABV.
- Hype Machine: Peanut Butter and Jelly – Available next Friday, this smoothie sour is made with peanut butter flour and strawberry puree.
- Nebulous Void – Available on Saturday, April 24 in 500-milliliter bottles, this is a bourbon barrel-aged imperial coconut stout. 13.1% ABV.
Alloy Brewing Company
- SMÖÖSHED – A smoothie sour made with blueberries and pomegranate. 6.1% ABV, 0 IBU.
- New Zealand Pilsner – Top Flight selection.
Bent Paddle Brewing Co.
- Honeyberry Saison – Top Flight selection.
Big Axe Brewing
- Mango Colada – A milkshake IPA made with mango, pineapple, and coconut. It resembles a tropical cocktail, but with a smooth beer bitterness. 7.1% ABV.
- Strawberry Pineapple Hefeweizen – Back on tap at the brewery as of last week.
Boathouse Brothers Brewing Co.
- Birthday Cake Cream Ale – Available this week as the Prior Lake brewery celebrates its third anniversary.
- First Mistake – A soft and pillowy New England–style IPA at 7.2% ABV. On tap and sold in Crowlers too.
- Playboy Mansion – A 5.3% ABV hefeweizen with a fluffy body and subtle notes of banana and clove, the brewpub says.
Ridiculously Tasty, Stepped Mashed, Bavarian-Style Hefeweizen. Cloudy, fluffy & just wee bit crispy with a lil’ sprinkle of those banana/clovey-type esters we adore so much. On tap and in Crowlers now. pic.twitter.com/J8s5cqHpIG
— bricksworthbeer (@bricksworthbeer) April 15, 2021
- Summer Ale – A light and zesty seasonal pale ale.
- Daydreamer – A New England-style IPA made with a mix of Mosaic, Citra, and Sabro hops for a juicy yet dank profile.
Hitting store shelves today!! Daydreamer is our newest NEIPA, and guaranteed to put your head in the clouds! Mosaic, Citra, and Sabro hops give this beer the perfect culmination of citrusy, juicy, and dank! On tap also, if you happen to be in the neighborhood this afternoon 😉 pic.twitter.com/rwGhCJwLvn
— Disgruntled Brewing (@disgruntledBrew) April 15, 2021
- Apricot Berry – “Apricot Berry Smoothie Cider hits the taproom this Friday. Loaded with apricot, more apricot, strawberry, blueberry, and apricot. We did the math. There’s over ¼ lbs of fruit per Crowler,” the cidery says.
It's new. It's fruity. It's thicc. Apricot Berry Smoothie Cider hits the taproom this Friday. Loaded with apricot, more apricot, strawberry, blueberry and apricot. We did the math. There's over 1/4 lbs of fruit per crowler in this thing. Get it this Friday. #mncider #duluthcider pic.twitter.com/rcZxEsg7nD
— Duluth Cider (@duluthcider) April 21, 2021
Eastlake Craft Brewery
- Electric Mayhem – A dank, dry-hopped juice bomb IPA made with Azacca, Rakau, and Mandarina Bavaria hops. A limited run of variants was made available on Tuesday, April 20, in Crowlers:
- Gelato & CBD
- G. S. Cookies
- Pineapple Express
- Sour Diesel
Electric Mayhem Juice Bomb IPA is the headliner. A showcase of pine, passionfruit, and peach aroma? Absotively posilutely. Azacca, Rakau, and Mandarina Bavaria hops take the stage and get dipped. Followed by an encore of double dry-hopping. It’s far out. Don’t get lost, man. pic.twitter.com/XkZ2VLqOI4
— EastlakeCraftBrewery (@EastlakeMGM) April 15, 2021
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- Hey, Remember Pale Ales? – A classic pale ale with flavors that include Citrus pith and tropical fruits with an additional bitter crispness. 5.0% ABV.
- Strawberry Lonely Blonde – A fruitier, pinker take on Fulton’s flagship blonde ale.
- #989 Pilsener Royale – A big (as in high alcohol) German-style Pilsner with aggressive noble hop flavors and a complementary malt bill.
- #1967 Sour Cherry Wheat – Top Flight selection.
Jack Pine Brewery
- Barrel Aged Deadfall – A whiskey barrel-aged Russian imperial stout, on tap at the brewery as of last week.
- Lemon Shandy – On tap and in cans now.
- Nitro English Brown Ale – “Smooth and creamy with a malty backbone and subtle sweetness from the caramel and chocolate notes and the arrow of toasted barley malts used in the brewing process,” Jack Pine says.
✨NEW ON NITRO✨
Our Nitro English Brown Ale is smooth and creamy with a malty backbone and subtle sweetness from the caramel and chocolate notes and the arrow of toasted barley malts used in the brewing process
Come on in and try it! pic.twitter.com/DfRstnQXSc
— Jack Pine Brewery (@JackPineBrewery) April 16, 2021
Junkyard Brewing Co.
- Mullet Power – Bright citrus, red berry, stone fruit, and subtle herbal notes define this beer’s flavor profile with extra hints of white peach and berry on the nose. 7.2% ABV.
- ‘70s Rock Label – “A delicious sweet tasting NE Style IPA with aromas of Spree candy, grape, passionfruit. Tastes of citrus, passionfruit, guava,” the brewery says, with a soft and pillowy body.
- Alleviate – A triple IPA loaded with mango and pineapple flavor, melon aromatics, and a soft, smooth finish. 11.1% ABV.
- Cool Shades – A refreshing, summer-themed beer made with a blend of guava, strawberry, lime, and lemonade mix. 6.0% ABV.
Jam packed with guava, strawberry, lime, and real lemonade mix, this new creation is our take on the nostalgic summer refreshment. Tart, zesty, and thirst quenching, this mouthwatering blend of delicious fruits makes for a sweet treat with a sour kick. Cool shades, man! 6.0% ABV pic.twitter.com/dEVLEFqE4z
— Junkyard Brewing Co. (@JunkyardBrewing) April 19, 2021
Left Hand Brewing Co.
- Moscow Mule Pale Ale – A 5.5% ABV pale ale with lime and ginger flavors that was previously available in Can Mixed Packs.
Cheers to your new main squeeze! Moscow Mule Ale kicks with an invigorating burst of lime & refreshing ginger spice. The crazy limited batch we brewed last year was so popular, we upgraded this gem to a full-fledged seasonal. Debuts in our Tasting Room this Wed. on tap & in 6pks! pic.twitter.com/jh2PGmG08v
— Left Hand Brewing Company (@LeftHandBrewing) April 19, 2021
Lift Bridge Brewing Company
- Getaway Pilsner – Made with noble hops and golden malt, Getaway Pilsner returns. Described as a refreshing lager with assertive hop character, it pours at 5.2% ABV.
Lupulin Brewing Company
- DDH Straight Hash Homie – A companion to Straight Hash Homie double IPA, this version is double dry-hopped (aka, double dry-hashed), including new ingredient Talus Cryo hops, for 2021, which adds even more grapefruit-like dank flavor. 7.75% ABV, 60 IBU.
Stacked Deck Brewing Co.
- Bowling for Money – Top Flight selection.
- Kickball Champion – A cool and refreshing 5.4% ABV cream ale.
- Sour Diesel – A fruited sour ale with blackberry and mango, brewed in collaboration with Clown Glass and tapped on Tuesday, April 20.
- Cow Tipper – An approachable barleywine from Lanesboro’s Sylvan, this low ABV (for the style) recipe sits at 8.5% ABV, 24 IBU and was conditioned on cherries and orange peel, which add Old Fashioned cocktail-like notes.
Talking Waters Brewing Co.
- MN Aloha – “MN Aloha is a smoothie sour brewed with lactose sugar, passion fruit, orange, guava, and plenty of coconut,” the brewery says. “It’s sweet and slightly tight, yet downright smooth and refreshing!” 5.0% ABV.
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company
- Things We Don’t Say IPA – A new collaborative beer project hosted by Eagle Park (Milwaukee, WI), a portion of proceeds from all Things We Don’t Say IPAs will benefit mental health organizations. On tap beginning today, with cans hitting liquor stores in May.
- Almond Joyful – An 11% imperial stout with almonds, coconut, vanilla, and chocolate.
NEW ON TAP: Almond Joyful Imperial Stout, with Almonds, Coconut, Vanilla, and Chocolate.
— Tin Whiskers Brewery (@TinWhiskersBrew) April 20, 2021
- Kellerbier – “Aged on oak spirals, this refreshing summer lager finishes with complex notes of toasted bread and spiced herbs,” Torg says of this beer with a secret name still to be revealed at press time.
Next week Torg launches our new Kellerbier. Aged on oak spirals, this refreshing summer lager finishes with complex notes of toasted bread and spiced herbs.
New Brew Name Game starts tomorrow. Clues via Facebook (2 pm) or Torg's website.https://t.co/0y0Txs81WB#newlager
— Torg Brewery (@TorgBrewery) April 15, 2021
- He’s Not Hazy, He’s My Brother – Top Flight selection.
Venn Brewing Company
- Chronicopia – Back on tap in south Minneapolis as of Tuesday, April 20.
Chronicopia is back on tap for Dank Day 4/20
Bring your best buds in for $4 full pours of Venn’s dank TIPA. 4.20 only. #dankTIPA #Vennchronicopia #dankday #420beer #happy420 #bestbuds #budsandbeer pic.twitter.com/Ll04WjvqvG
— Venn Brewing (@vennbrewing) April 20, 2021
Waconia Brewing Company
- Blueberry Cyclone Sour – A kettle sour with blueberries: tart, fruity, and juicy. “This late springtime refreshing beer has just enough lactic acid sourness to still make it approachable,” the brewery says. 5.2% ABV, 10 IBU and named with a nod to a disastrous 1904 storm.
Wild Mind Ales
- Obscura: Blackberry Pinot Grigio – A kettle sour, aged in an oak lagering foeder and conditioned on blackberry and Pinot Grigio, the brewery describes it as “light and spritzy.” 5.5% ABV.
Wooden Hill Brewing Company
- Strawberry Kolsch – Take Wooden Hill’s flagship Kölsch-style ale and add a heavy dose of strawberry for this 4.7% ABV “extremely limited batch.”
Beers just announced
- Kind of a Big DILL – The pickle beer is back, next month, with limited availability. Pre-orders for the beer, plus Bloody Mary fixins, are open now.
FINNEGANS Brew Co.
After closing the taproom for much of the past year, FINNEGANS will celebrate a Grand Re-Opening on May 1 with pop-up shops, live music and, of course, beer. Open 1-9pm, the line-up includes:
- Bella Pilz – An Italian-style Pilsner.
- Blood Orange Pilsner – A dry Pilsner with blood orange, with orange and grapefruit-like flavors.
- Kicked To The Herb – A pale ale brewed with hemp seeds, Citra, Zeus, and Chinook hops.
- Tile Factory – A Mosaic-hopped citrusy IPA with a touch of bitterness.
- Tipped Cow – A Beglian-style saison.
Indeed Brewing Company
- Aquafuzz – A new hazy-style IPA from Indeed, coming to cans soon.
In two weeks @indeedbrewing is rolling out its first hazy IPA, Aquafuzz, across its distro footprint in MN, WI and ND. Developed in part in Milwaukee, "Aquafuzz will be released in batches and in and out of the market quickly to ensure maximum freshness and a consistent haze." pic.twitter.com/WsycbtbhVG
— Chris Drosner (@WIbeerbaron) April 15, 2021
Lakes & Legends Brewing Company
Lakes & Legends has designated May 1 as 5-Weight Day, with five variants of their cream ale to be tapped in-house at the brewery:
- Churro 5-Weigh
- Coffee 5-Weight
- Gin 5-Weight
- Marshmallow 5-Weight
- Prickly Pear 5-Weight
Tin Whiskers Brewing Company
- Bit-O-Honey Blonde Ale – A Pearson’s candy-inspired blonde ale with honey. This beer returns on April 30 with honey and almond flavors in a 16-ounce tallboy can instead of the candy wrapper we grew up with.
We've got a bit-o news: Bit-O-Honey Blonde Ale is coming back for 2021! We once again transformed this classic candy from taffy to tallboy, resulting in a refreshing honey and almond-forward blonde ale.
— Tin Whiskers Brewery (@TinWhiskersBrew) April 22, 2021
Have a new beer we should know about? Send the details to firstname.lastname@example.org for inclusion in Freshies.
Correction: Strawberry Pineapple Hefeweizen and Kind of a Big DILL were brewed by Blacklist Brewing in Duluth, not BlackStack in St. Paul.