Welcome to Beer Dabbler’s Freshies, our weekly rundown on the newest beers hitting the store shelves and taproom coolers in Minnesota from your favorite local and national breweries.
Beer and hard beverages continue to showcase a diverse range of flavors for every mood and personality, pouring a literal rainbow of colors throughout the state.
From bright hard seltzers to glitter-optional fruited beers, it’s the time and season for crisp, refreshing beverages. There are wheat ales with something added, a plethora of Mexican-style lagers to choose from, and even more IPAs from hazy pales to big ABV triples and a West Coast-style beer that puts the emphasis on coast.
Each week, the Beer Dabbler team highlights five of the most tantalizing new beers that we’re most excited to try.
Arbeiter Brewing Crunchy Livin’ – A honey roggenbier collaboration with Forager, this beer offers subtle earthy ry spice along with rustic buckwheat honey notes. 5.2% ABV, 21 IBU.
BlackStack Brewing Required Reading – A 5% ABV schwarzbier-inspired black lager. On draft and in cans.
Broken Clock Brewing Cooperative Pride Seltzer Flights – Available at the coop brewery’s Pride Event on Saturday, six colorful seltzers will be available: Raspberry, Passion-Orange-Guava, Pineapple, Key Lime, Blueberry, and Strawberry lemonade.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative Bread Retention – A 4.3% ABV saison made with locally grown corn and raw wheat, then dry-hopped. “This beer is extra zippy, dry, citrus-y, and rustic, with a whiff of tropical fruits and fresh bread,” the brewery says.
Oliphant Brewing Steal This Pils From Ale Jail – A 5% ABV Pilsner with Wakatu hops, made in collaboration with Ale Jail in Saint Paul.
New beers available this week
- Jolly Melons – A 6.4% ABV watermelon sour.
- Pineapple Banana Milkshake IPA – 7.1% ABV and featuring a pineapple/banana balance, the brewery says.
Who doesn't love fresh watermelon? Have you tried it in beer form? Jolly Melons, watermelon sour is available now! This is the ultimate summer drink, make sure you snag it before it is gone! ABV 6.4%
And do not forget, Trivia Mafia tonight from 7 pm to 9 pm! pic.twitter.com/5wnpgR9UFO
— 10K Brewing (@10kbrewing) June 8, 2022
- Crunchy Livin’ – Top Flight selection
- Hefeweizen – Subtle banana, warming vanilla, and rich, smooth clove notes define this 5.4% ABV, 13 IBU Bavarian-style hefeweizen.
- Squishy Peaches – An unfiltered farmhouse-style ale made with lemongrass, chamomile, and peach. 4.8% ABV, 30 IBU, and raising funds for the MN P.O.C. Pride organization.
A-Side Public House
- Tranquila’ Passion Fruit Mojito Sour – A 5.4% ABV cocktail-inspired sour ale with sweet and tart tropical fruit flavors.
Alloy Brewing Company
- Arctic Amber – A traditional amber ale at 5.8% ABV, 31 IBU.
Badger Hill Brewing Company
- Mucho Gusto! – A Mexican-style lager.
Big Axe Brewing Company
- Youthful Exuberance – A hazy double IPA tapped for the brewery’s seventh anniversary last month.
Birch’s On The Lake
- Jalapeño IPA
- Conventional – Maplewood Brewery of Chicago, IL collaborated with BlackStack for this pale ale recipe. 5.5% ABV and hopped with a combination of Simcoe, Mosaic, and Centennial Cryo. Tapped in May.
- Early Admission – A juicy double IPA made with Mosaic, Mosaic Cryo, Cashmere, and EL Dorado hops, brewed for the “Kick Off the Summer” event at the State Fair Grounds. 8.0% ABV.
- Giving Trees – An apple crisp sour ale, pouring 6% ABV and made with apple cider, cinnamon, granola, and brown sugar.
- No Peeking – Released last week, this is a 10.3% ABV triple IPA made with Mosaic, Idaho 7, and Idaho 7 Cryo hops.
- Required Reading – A 5% ABV schwarzbier-inspired black lager. On draft and in cans.
Boathouse Brothers Brewing Co.
- Double Cold – An 8% ABV double cold IPA.
- Our Tie the Knot – “[Our] American wheat ale is malty, bready, with a touch of caramel, and a hint of sea salt,” the brewery says.
Bobbing Bobber Brewing Company
- Go’a Go’a Gose – “[A] light easy drinking beer with hints of citrus and salt,” the brewery says.
- Poly Smokes – An oak-smoked wheat ale, also known as a Grodziskie.
Boom Island Brewing Company
- Que Pasa – A Mexican-style lager made with European Pilsen malt and American flaked maize.
Broken Clock Brewing Cooperative
- Glitter Crash – Strawberry puree and vanilla give fruity and sweet flavors atop a dry, malt-forward, medium-body blonde ale. 6.1% ABV, 23 IBU, made in collaboration with Petty Treason Productions for Pride. Glitter optional.
- Pride Seltzer Flights – Top Flight selection
Dangerous Man Brewing Company
- House IPA – Not a new beer, but the current batch features a tweaked recipe with sweeter, caramel notes.
- Stra-La-La-La-La-La Juicy IPA – “A new summer crusher,” Dangerous Man says, “Light bodied, big notes of tropical fruits and juicy citrus. Insanely smooth, clean and easy drinking. Hopped with Strata, Sultana, and Vista.”
- Watermelon Sour – A bright, crisp, tart, and gluten-reduced sour ale.
Fair State Brewing Cooperative
- Bread Retention – Top Flight selection
- Union Lager – Available exclusively in the new Fair State variety pack, along with year round beers: Big Doinks, Roselle, and Party Forward.
FINNEGANS Brew Co.
- Brown Eyed Girl – This a lower-strength 4% ABV table brown ale has soft caramel notes and a dry finish, FINNEGANS says.
- Hazy Double IPA – Brewed with Loral and Amarillo hops, it has a mild orange flower foretaste gives way to a creamier floral mid-palate, and lightly hopped dry finish, which is unique for this style, FINNEGANS says its new 9.3% ABV imperial IPA.
Great Lakes Brewing Co.
- Ruby’s Revenge – The imperial grapefruit IPA is just hitting shelves and taplines now.
- Butterfly Brain – A tart and fruity sour ale with mango and pineapple. 6.2% ABV.
- Limes Are Extra – A new 5.2% ABV Mexican-style lager.
Invictus Brewing Co.
- Blueberry Lemonade Slushie – Alma refreshing blueberry lemonade seltzer slushie is made with the goodness of real lemons and the sweetness of blueberry juice to give you the deliciously refreshing taste you love, the brewery says.
Lakeville Brewing Co.
- Down the Shore Citrus Crush – Inspired by the Crush cocktail, this 5% ABV beer is made with tangerine, orange, and lemon over a light wheat base. Expect bright citrus and slightly tart notes, the brewery says.
- Torres’ Mango Chillada – A wheat beer with mango and five pepper varieties. Flavor notes say: “Ripe mango and bread-dough sweetness in the aroma with just a hint of what’s to come… a peppery bite in the flavor mellowed by the fruit,” served in an agave and tajin rimmed glass at the brewery.
Lupulin Brewing Company
- American Pils – A 4.5% ABV Pilsner lager with American hops for notes of citrus and light pine.
- Barliner – This sour wheat ale is made with soursop, feijoa, blood orange, and papaya. 5% ABV.
- Take the Plunge – A 4.8% ABV session IPA.
- Having A Good Lime – A bright and crisp gose with lemon and lime peels, plus a touch of coriander and salt. 4% ABV.
- Idaho Is For Lovers – “Aromas of candied pineapple and strawberry fruit salad leads into passionfruit and peach smoothie with a clean pine and balancing bitter finish,” the brewery says of this 7.6% ABV hazy double IPA.
- Steal This Pils From Ale Jail – Top Flight selection
- Tart Boy Tangy – A strawberry and peach sour ale. 5% ABV.
OMNI Brewing Co.
- Kölschfest Kölsch – The featured beer at this Saturday’s event, taking pace 11am-11pm at the brewery.
? Save the Date ?
? Saturday, June 11th ?
Details Coming Soon! Prost ? pic.twitter.com/LsEBaOxtE2
— OMNI Brewing Co. (@OMNIBrewing) May 11, 2022
- Narc Dawg – A 7% ABV, 60 IBU dank IPA.
Rogue Ales & Spirits
- Beachy Clean IPA – A new West Coast-style IPA, made along the US West Coast as part of a campaign to keep our coastlines clean. “Beachy Clean is a big beer with an aroma that features citrus and stone fruit. This beer has a good malt base with pine flavors and sweet notes coming through and then finishes with a nice balance of hoppy bitterness, the brewery says.” 8.2% ABV, 42 IBU.
- Hard Seltzer: Azalea – A new flavor combo made with lemon, pineapple, and grenadine.
- Saison – A bit flowery on the nose and with notes of citrus it has the characteristic fruity flavors of candied citrus and bubble gum you want with a classic saison, the brewery says of its new 7.8% ABV, 8 IBU farmhouse ale.
This Saturday for our infusion we’re adding ‘Azalea’ flavor to our seltzer? Flavors of lemon, pineapple & grenadine all wrapped up into our seltzer! Perfect for the beautiful weekend weather???
— Shakopee BrewHall (@shakobrewhall) June 3, 2022
Wabasha Brewing Company
- Blueberry Krush – “Likely” to be on tap again this week, the Saint Paul brewery says.
- Raspberry Blonde – An American blonde ale juiced up with a dose of refreshing red raspberries. Not too sweet, not too tart, simply approachable, the brewery says.
Raspberry Blonde release at 2pm! An American blonde ale juiced up with a dose of refreshing red raspberries. Not too sweet, not too tart, simply approachable. Enjoy a pint of this summer favorite on the patio or take home a growler or crowler! Cheers! ? pic.twitter.com/LiqwIJieb3
— Waconia Brewing Co. (@WaconiaBrewing) June 3, 2022
Wild Mind Ales
- City Up North – This 5.9% ABV mixed culture saison offers notes of white grape, lemongrass, hay, and citrus and was dry-hopped with Ella and Hallertau Blanc.
- Fiesta Fever – A crisp and light-body lager at 4.5% ABV.
Wooden Hill Brewing Co.
- Summer Sun – This pale ale is built on Citra and Southern Passion hops, then dosed with blood orange, vanilla, and lactose. 6% ABV.
Have a new beer we should know about? Send the details to firstname.lastname@example.org for inclusion in Freshies.